Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cannes, Nice, Monte Carlo or somewhere in between?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Susan

WE HAVE TWO NIGHTS TO STAY SOMEWHERE ON THE COTE D'AZUR AND NEED HELP DECIDING WHERE WOULD BE THE MOST INTERESTING. WE ARE TRAVELING WITH OUR TWO DAUGHTERS AGES 15 AND 17. WE ALL LIKE TO MOVE QUICKLY AND SEE ALOT OF DIFFERENT THINGS, I DONT SEE US SITTING AROUND ON THE BEACH ALL DAY. CURRENTLY WE HAVE A RESERVATION AT THE CARLTON INTERCONTINENTAL IN CANNES BUT I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FIRST HAND INFORMATION ABOUT SOME CHARMING HOTEL IN THE AREA?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Lori

My nieces who are about the same ages as your daughters, absolutely loved Nice. I can't comment on it, as I leave in 2 weeks.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:42 AM
David

Wouldn't recommend Cannes. Not that interesting on its own, but big and congested enough so that it's annoying to get in and out of the area if you're trying to day trip to other places.

Try Nice, if you want to stay in a city, or maybe someplace like Antibes if you'd rather be in a smaller town.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:10 AM
amy

I don't know if you're travelling by car or by train.

We have two daughters, too, and we tend to stay in one place but explore all the surrounding areas. We just got back from a week in Nice where most days we took a train or bus to somewhere else. We averaged about five miles of walking and three art museums per day. If this sounds like your pacing, read on.

So for two days...

Nice or Cannes would work well. I think the accomodations would be cheaper in Nice, but the beach is much, much nicer in Cannes (we didn't stay oceanfront in Nice).

If you're staying in Nice, you can do the flower market and Chateau area in the morning, do the Modern Art Museum, and then head up to the Cimiez area of Nice to do the Chagall and Matisse museums.

If it's a nice day, take the train to Eze sur Mer, hike up the cliff, have lunch, and hop back on the train to visit Villefranche or Beaulieu.

You can easily visit Monte Carlo (less than 1/2 hour), Menton (on the Italian border), too.

Cannes is 1/2 hour away by train from Nice. So you can stay in Cannes or just visit. We didn't want to hang around Cannes, so we took the little tourist trams, one along the beachfront; another up to old town and then headed by train for Antibes for the Picasso museum there. Had the weather been nicer, I would have gone to the island of St. Marguerite in Cannes to visit the prison where the man in the Iron Mask (it was actually velvet) was held.

From Cannes or Nice one can take a bus to Mougins/Grasse or Vence/St. Paul/Cagnes sur Mer.

Your touring options are endless no matter which town you stay in, especially if you use the train to avoid any traffic congestion.

A good regional guidebook would be of great assistance.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Susan

Thanks for the information. We are going to have a car. Is this good or bad? Are we going to spend all our time in the car trying to get around?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Anothercanuck

Susan:
You don't want the annoyance of the car
in Nice or Cannes but you do want one
to explore the towns above and beyond
those towns. Once you get off the lower
drag (and it IS slow!) you can get around very nicely on the local roads.

Take the train to MC or Menton - the
corniches can be a little tricky esp.
with jet lag <g>but having a car for
the hilltowns is much faster than trying
to figure out the bus routes/schedules.

Don't miss a meal in the Old Town in
Nice - try 'socca' for a taste treat!

Nice is a very interesting multi-ethnic
city - quite Italianate - fill of life
and interesting things to see and do.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:33 PM
amy

Since we didn't have a car, I can't compare. My husband hates trying to find parking places, so taking advantage of excellent European mass transit is his idea of a vacation.

I just can just tell you that in Cannes we stepped from train to bus with only two minutes to wait. Whenever we got off a bus, we'd check the schedule posted by each stop (it's not rocket science) and we'd plan our time around that. If anything, it added a welcome structure to our day. There truly was no hassle.

Both trains and busses usually ran every 1/2 hour to hour.

By the way, what is not listed in two of our guidebooks is that Cagnes sur Mer has a free shuttle to Haut Cagnes from the Town Center bus stop, and I think there's a local bus to the Renoir house.

Since you buy your tickets as you board, you can change your mind as much as you could with a car.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:43 PM
sharon

definitely stop on Cap Ferrat, a beautiful peenisula between Nice and Monaco, filed with georgious villas and elegant hotels (grand hotel of cap ferrat is special) The whole area is worth a detour.