Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CANCELLATION INSURANCE, are there pros and cons? Is there a DIFFERNCE between companies?

Search

CANCELLATION INSURANCE, are there pros and cons? Is there a DIFFERNCE between companies?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Allison

We are interested in getting cancellation insurance for out trip this January. We also have friends who want to come on the trip, but are worried that, as consultants, they might have to stay home...is it worth it to buy cancellation insurance? Does it really work? Is there a difference between companies? (or buying it from your travel agent?)..and what are the requirements to be able to cancel. Thanks

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Shirley

Try www.travelguardins.com <BR> <BR>I got this information from a travel message board and they seem pretty good. In most cases cheaper than the insurance offered with the tour package. <BR> <BR>With a big expensive trip, It definitley think it is worth it.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 07:21 AM
an agency owner

LET ME MAKE ONE VERY VERY BOLD STATETMENT HERE. IN LIEU OF THE CATASTROPIHIC TRAGEDIES TODAY, THANK GOD <BR>ALL MY CLIENTS PURCHASE INSURANCE. IF THEY DO NOT I HAVE EVERY ONE OF THEM SIGN A WAIVER STATING THEY DO NOT WANT IT. I HAVE LOADS OF CLIENTS LEAVING FOR EUROPE THIS WEEK ON AA. AND YOU BET YOUR BUT THAT IF THEY ARE DELAYED OR THEY DECIDE TO CANCEL THEIR TRIP (THEY MAY HAVE TO AT THIS POINT) THEY WILL GET THERE MONEY BACK. <BR> <BR>GOOD LESSON TO LEARN HERE FOR YOU PEOPLE <BR>WHO BOOK ONLINE. GO TO A REUPTABLE GOOD EXPERIENCED AGENT TO COVER YOURSELF! <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 01:22 PM
wendy

I think Travelguard is one of the most well-known companies. I've never bought this as I don't prepay anything on vacations except airline ticket. However, from the policies I have seen, you are not insured for cancellation due to just changing your mind or saying you have a client or work to do (is that what you mean for your friends who are consultants?), the reason has to be serious and beyond your control (terrorism, weather, serious illness, etc.) But, I'm sure policies differ so you should ask. In any case, here is one URL I have noted of a company that sells it: www.insuredvacations.net Regarding the last post, anyone can buy it, you don't need a travel agent to do that. Also, I sort of wonder what the airlines' liability is for shutdowns due to terrorism like this? I mean, will they have to refund passengers money? I'm pretty sure they will be rebooking people on other flights without penalty (but will not refund money), but I don't think the passengers are out the cost of the ticket. (you bet your but.. they will get there money back (sic) sheesh, no wonder this person is a travel agent, a job with no educational requirements)

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 03:26 PM
scigirl

Each company varies, and they each have a variety of policies. I bought tickets to China shortly after the spy plane incident. I specifically purchased a policy from travelguard because they have coverage if you cancel due to terrorism (I think the terroristic act had to occur w/in 2 weeks of departure) and also coverage for military leave being cancelled (which was applicable for me). I suggest that you look at several companies and read the coverage closely, and then call them to ask additional questions. Travelguard and several other companies have good websites.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:53 PM
Mike

topping