Cancel Hotel Madison?

Apr 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Cancel Hotel Madison?

I leave for Paris in three days. When I reserved the hotel two months ago, the Madison seemed perfect, particularly its location.
Recently, though, I've read some scathing reviews online, particularly referring to renovations.
Should I try to find something else for a 10 night stay beginning this weekend? Any suggestions for something close by and of comparable cost? Or has someone been there recently and it's not that bad, I should stay put?
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:04 PM

Where have you seen the pans of the Madison? We've stayed there several times and are returning in September. The lobby was recently renovated last May, as were quite a few of the rooms we saw; so I'm really curious.
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Wierd....I just posed this same question earlier. Check on down - you will see my question and the one response. I read reviews on tripadvisor. I leave in two weeks and now I'm worried too!!!
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Particularly I am concerned about the reviews on tripadvisor. There were always some negatives, but I made my choice knowing that different things rub different people differently. Sometimes it's attitude, sometimes, it's luck, etc. But the fact that the last several posts have been negative concern me, in case there is a lot of construction and/or there has been a change in management, etc.
So, I think it would help us if osmeone who has stayed there w/in the last month could post.
I don't want to unnecessarily alarm anyone, I'm just planning the trip of a lifetime for my mom, and having problems w/where we mst lay our heads every night would be a bummer.
Sorry so long.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:23 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34481988

This thread addresses the fact that there are falsely negative review on tripadvisor for several Paris hotels. Unfortunately, some kids seem to entertain themselves by fabricating stories and posting them on the site.

If le Madison is listed on venere.com, you might see how those reviews stack up against those on tripadvisor. Also text seach here for the most recent exisiting feedback, in case there isn't anyone who's just been there on the board.
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:41 PM

www.paris.org also has guest reviews of hotels and all those for le Madison are positive.
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Phew! I'm going to hope that the reviews on TripAdvisor.com are indeed pranks, especially since several of them seem to be clustered around the 1st of April.

However, I'm going to ask our friends in Paris to stop by and check the hotel out. Since they recommended it in the first place, they owe me!
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Hi,

Thanks Underhill, that would be great! It's hard to tell but the reviews on trip advisor sound legit. Who knows? What concerns me the most is that the PATTERN of negative reviews - stark contrast to earlier ones. Almost like something has changed.......
Apr 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Just looked at tripadvisor's recent reviews for the Madison. Many of them refer to room size, which is a constant.

One "disappointed" guest states that "Next trip we will return to the tried and trues: Hotel Lutetia or Relais Christine." These hotels are *much* more expensive, have more stars, and provide an entirely different class of service than the Madison.
Apr 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM

I can't get the www.paris.org page to open. ???
Apr 7th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Underhill:

http://www.paris.org/

Click on "Hotels" towards the top, then click on a letter of the alphabet, number of stars, arrondissement, etc. (I did "M" for Madison.)
Apr 7th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Those tripadvisor.com comments don't seem like pranks. They're more specific than not.
Apr 7th, 2004, 02:48 PM

I found the www.paris.org comments; thanks. I wish they were dated, however. There's nothing on Venere.com.

Other places to try: the Luxembourg Parc, Le Ste-Beuve, perhaps Le Regent. Good luck, and let us know how it works out. I and others will be anxiously awaiting your report.
Apr 7th, 2004, 02:50 PM
padbrasher

My review of Le Madison was neither a prank nor am I a kid. This visit to Paris was our sixth trip since 1996, and we were there to visit very close Parisian friends. Our respective sons have done three exchanges, including one last summer that lasted 6 weeks. My family was there from March 21-24,
2004. We had the following experience.

First off, our rooms were not ready when we arrived shortly after 2pm. Fine, no big deal, however, the front desk personnel's nonchalant attitude which was a little annoying. As in...just sit over there and wait. No apology, no offer of refreshment. After approximately 20-30 mins., one room became available. We went up to it (No. 63) and it was just average. Not the beautifully decorated rooms in the lobby or on the website. It did offer a nice view of St.Germaine des Pres church and a partial view of the Eiffel Tower. And the bathroom was large and well-appointed. However, when our sons' room (which I had requested as connecting or adjoining) became available another 15 mins. later, it was down the end of the hallway (No. 68). My sons are 12 & 16 years old. We were separated by several rooms, two elevators and a stairway. I went downstairs with my 16 yrs. old who speaks superb French and POLITELY inquired if it would be possible to be moved closer to our sons. Or have them moved closer to us. Or just be in any two rooms next to each other. The very first words out of this young man's mouth were "Is this not good enough for you?". Hardly what a good hotelier should say to his guest upon receiving a request. He dramatically huffed and puffed and finally said there was just no way to change the rooms "at this late moment" as if I had not made my request by e-mail weeks ago. So, we stay in our rooms as assigned. Meanwhile, all the wallpaper is being removed and replaced wth fabric outside our rooms and there are three workmen, with their equipment, ladders etc. all over the place. This process occured every day we were there from morning to approx. 6pm. They were indeed polite and helpful moving their equipment around so that we could come and go, however it was not without inconvenience. Nor was it without noise.

Also, the hotel locks its front door at night, at some hour before 11pm. We waited only briefly to be admitted. However, one guest apparently waited "12 minutes in the cold" before she was let in one evening. She was very upset the next morning and asked the same unhelpful front desk person if she could speak to the hotel manager. She was told that her complaint had been given to the manager, and that she was not available to speak with her.Needless to say this woman (who spoke English but was not American) was very unhappy with the whole situation.

Two other lesser complaints: the vodka tonic enjoyed by my husband one evening in the lobby bar cost 14 euros, and 30 minutes of Internet usage was 10 euros (twice the cost in Rome at the Albergo del Senato).

We paid 480 euros per night at Le Madison for the two rooms, including tax and breakfast. This is exactly the rate that is offered at the Hotel Lutetia for two connecting rooms with breakfast, but tax is extra. I do not feel that the room of Le Madison are comparable to those at the Lutetia, either in size or decor. And although the breakfast was delightful, the service and attitude of the hotel staff was less than we have experienced at either Lutetia or Relais Christine. Thus, my comments regarding the other hotels that we have previously stayed at while in Paris. Perhaps we just had poor luck with remodeling and/or hotel staff, however we were disappointed by the entire experience and would not recommend Le Madison to others.

Apr 7th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Holy Smokes! What has happened to their prices? I just read those reviews on Trip Advisor (no, they sure don't sound like pranks to me). When I considered it about four or five years ago, I passed on it because of mixed reviews then, including comments that SOME rooms are large and nice, others not so. I worry about getting stuck with whatever is available. That was the year I opted for Le Regent instead which then was about the same price -- although at Le Regent they made clear what a superior rooms was and guaranteed one (that's what was the same price as the "standard" at the Madison). But now, I see The Madison is a whole lot more expensive. The only negatives I've usually heard about Le Regent was the small rooms -- but (and this is a HUGE but) those complaints all appeared to be from people who went for a standard and not a superior room. All their superior rooms are of identical quality. I like knowing what I'm getting.
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:14 PM

What is happening with these high-priced small hotels nowadays? Please look at the 3/18/04 comment posted about Hotel d'Aubusson. Again this one doesn't appear to be a prank. Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently?
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:17 PM

I just looked at the reviews of Le Regent on the TA.com site and am confused; there's a reference to superior rooms' being small. So how small is small?
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:25 PM

Read the latest comment on the d'Aubusson, and I have to say that it sounds suspiciously like the April 1st write-up on the Madison: long-winded, poorly written, same kind of comments. I wonder whether someone is indeed playing games.
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:42 PM

Where did you see the comment about the Le Regent superior room being small, Underhill? What I read was:

"We stayed in a "Superior Room" which, while not big, was well designed and was very comfortable for two people for 6 nights. . ."

That sounds a lot different than just saying it was small! Let me put it this way. There is plenty of room on both sides of the large bed (two twins put together) to walk, and plenty of room at the foot of the bed for two people to easily pass each other. If someone is sitting and writing at the desk, the other can easily walk past them. And you can unpack and hang up clothes without bumping into each other. There aren't too many Paris hotels in that price range that I have found that to be true.
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:45 PM
padbrasher

For the sake of accuracy, I must correct my earlier post. My family was at Le Madison from 24-27 March, 2004.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO