Canary Islands: which island?

Oct 20th, 1997, 12:57 PM
Bob

Canary Islands: which island?

I'm thinking about going to the Canary Islands, and was wondering which island to visit. I was thinking about splitting my stay between Tenerife and Gran Canaria, but from what I've read, Tenerife is a hellhole. Any agreement or disagreement? Should I stay at Gran Canaria for the entire time, or is there another place I should see as well.

Also, I might want to make a side trip to Morocco. Is it easy and cheap to get there from the Canary Islands?

Nov 29th, 1997, 11:25 AM
Liz

Myself, hubby and three kids spent last Christmas and New year in the Canaries. Lanzarote, the northern most island was our destination and we loved the place. The islands black "Moonscape" landscape was caused by six years of volcanic erruptions in the 1700's. Undaunted, the inhabitents have utilized this disaster by preserving the lava fields and turning them into a vast national park: an awesome sight! The efforts of conservation on this tiny island leaves most other places on the planet in the shade. One example of this would be the fact that no building is permitted to be more than four storeys high. The cleanliness of even the most humble establishment is second to none. Though the inhabitents tended to be a little remote they did all in their power to assist the tourist on whom their livelihood depends. Great restaurants abound and there is a lively but unintrusive nightlife. Highly recommended! This year we are heading for Gran Canaria. You'll have to wait a few weeks more on a report from there. Best of luck where ever you end up!

Dec 6th, 1997, 02:27 PM
Julia

I lived in Tenerife for 10 wonderful years and it was gorgeous, peaceful and isolated then. I hear it has become overdeveloped and overrun by the tourism industry, though. Gran Canaria is the same story, and Lanzarote, nice as it is, is also a big tourist magnet now. That leaves four islands (La Gomera, Fuerteventura, El Hierro and La Palma) off the beaten path, and I'd recommend visiting them, although my memory of those is weak.

Dec 6th, 1997, 02:33 PM
Julia

Bob,

I forgot to mention that I also lived in Morocco for several years. I don't know about cost, but I bet there are direct flights between Gran Canaria and Casablanca. If you go, don't even pause in Casa -- it's a very big, unattractive city and you'd do better to head to Rabat and then on to Fes and Meknes, or Marrakech. From Marrakech, you can explore the desert and the Atlas mountains. In the north, Tangier has become a frontier town (for tourists hopping over from southern Spain for a day or two), so avoid that.

Dec 10th, 1997, 05:24 AM
TG

I went to Playa De Ingles,Gran Canaria a few months back. It was a hellhole! The crime rate is very high and there are alot of places which are very unsafe to travel by at night. I stayed at the Green Field and it was robbed every other night (you could not even leave your balcony door open) All I can say it that I will never, ever return there again.

Dec 14th, 1997, 05:30 AM
Harry

Six of us go to Tenerife every year in the winter, I am not sure that I would like it in the summer. Great scenery, good restaurants, plenty to see and do. Try looking at http://www.bjerkholt.com/tenerife/

Search this Thread