Canadian Traveller:Car Rental in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a Canadian traveling to Italy, I am wondering about the best car rental company to go with while in Tuscany. I have checked out the "AutoEurope" site but it is American-based and I am wondering if anyone knows of a similar site that is Canadian-based? If not I wonder if anyone can reccommend a good rental company in Italy.

Thanks.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:55 AM

LittleBella,

We have booked travel arrangements several times in Canada for trips to Italy, and always booked cars through Alba Tours, which uses Avis. The prices were good and we never had a bad experience picking up cars in Rome, Florence, Milan or La Mezia Terme. Last year, though, when we went to Sardinia, we had a bad experience with Alba. Avis had no cars, and explained to us that they had rejected Alba's reservation, but Alba had never communicated that to us. (In fact, they issued us the voucher, and we thought everything was OK.) All the car rental agencies at the airport were out of cars, but a gentleman at Avis did help us locate a car through a local agency. It took Alba several weeks, but they finally sent an apology and a certificate towards another rental.

Next time, we may try AutoEurope (I don't think it makes a difference whether they are based in the states or Canada), or just book with Hertz or Avis directly. Either way, we will confirm directly with the rental car office where we will pick the car up.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:22 PM

I'm pretty sure that AutoEurope is actually a "consolidator" of sorts that contracts with various rental companies. We used AutoEurope last summer, but we picked up and returned our car to Avis.

Someone else may set me right on this if I'm wrong.

KC
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:27 PM
ira

Hi LB,

AutoEurope is a consolidator. They broker your rental through car agencies.

Here is their Canadian site.
http://www.autoeurope.ca/

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:30 PM

I have dealt with AutoEurope from Canada for years, and have always found the prices and service to be first class. I have not used Auto Europe for Italy, but have done so in a number of other European countries

As others have mentioned, they are a consolidator, so they book cars with various rental companies. Your price will be in C$ so that there is no difficulty with exchange rates.

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:48 PM

I, too, have had seven successful rentals wo different car rental firms booked through AutoEurope so far. I like the all-inclusive packaging and have not received any unexpected credit card surprises after the trip.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Another good broker is Nova rentacar www.novarentacar.com We've used both nova and autoeurope and been pleased.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Zakochaney

We haven't rented a car in Italy (yet) but we did use Europcar twice in Poland and they were excellent to work with. Good rates, easy drop off & pickup. If rates are good in Italy we will use on our trip in April 2006