Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can You Suggest A Base for Walking Holiday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Old Lady

I am contemplating a walking vacation in England or Wales, and would appreciate recommendations of specific villages/towns that could serve as a base for such a thing. I would like to walk 10 to 15 miles a day and see villages, farms, ancient sites, etc. as well as natural scenery. I am reluctant to commit to a weeklong point-to-point walk or to a guided walking tour because I might not be able to go a predetermined distance each day (should have done this 15 years ago). I would like to find a good central base from which I could walk out every day in a different direction and return to the same accommodation every night, with a variety of scenery and minimal walking along roads. Public footpaths or the national pathways are equally fine. I have been to England several times so feel no need to see the "big" sites. Any ideas of places, or of better ways to accomplish my goal of a walking trip without committing to more than I can handle, would be appreciated.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 07:18 PM
ron

Two suggestions: <BR> <BR>1. Check out the guided walking holidays offered by HF Holidays (www.hfholidays.co.uk). On most of their holidays there are three walking leaders and each day you are given the choice of doing a short (4 to 7 miles), medium (8 to 10 miles) or long (10 to 12 miles) walk. I have done a number of them and can answer any questions. <BR> <BR>2. If you do want to walk solo from a base, consider canal walks. I spent a couple of extra days in Warwick in 1999. On one of the days I took the train up to Lapworth, walked over to visit Packwood House (Elizabethan age, owned by the NT) and then returned to Warwick along the Grand Union Canal. The following day I again trained to Lapworth and walked along the Stratford-upon-Avon canal to Wilmcote (Mary Arden House) and returned from there via train. I could have easily continued on to Stratford if I had wanted to. I imagine it would be possible to develop a 3rd days walk from Warwick to Leamington Spa and beyond. <BR> <BR>ron

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 01:30 PM
phil carey

A great base might be Hay-on-Wye on the wales / England border - some intersting walks in several directions - good hill country, the odd priory, and Offa's Dyke (border ditch) nearby. Plus the town itself is a gem - particularly if you like old books. I'm sure there's a website somewhere to tell you more - but sorry, I haven't checked any out myself.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Sheila

England is made for this. Pick from <BR><BR>The Lake District<BR>The Peak District<BR>The Yorkshire Dales<BR>Cornwall, <BR>Devon,<BR>Dorset<BR>The South Downs<BR>etc etc.<BR><BR>Two things. Have a look at http://146.101.253.22/Homepage/<BR><BR>This is for a magazine called Country Walking whcih does about 20 walks a month. In addition it has a feature monthly on an area rather more in depth.<BR><BR>If you find their walks not challenging enough, see if you can find the web site for Trail, which is similar but hillier in prospect (If you can't e-mail me and I'll find it for you). I haven't used the web site but assume it moirrior the magazine.<BR><BR>Second, try contacting The Rambler's Association on www.rambers.org.uk. They are just what they sound like and might be able to give you fuurther pointers.<BR><BR>If you identify an area you like come back and we'll see if we can do hotels and stuff if you want.<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Paule

My husband and I spent 4-5 days outside of Keswick, which is in the Northern Lake District in England. We're not serious walkers, but we saw many who were, and the Information Centre had an enormous wealth of information on walks & hikes. I think the Lake District is beautiful, and the northern half seemed more beautiful and less touristy than the southern half. We stayed in a very pleasant B&B; the couple who ran it were knowledgable and warm and welcoming.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Sheila, the websites you mentioned look good at first glance and I will explore them. I think I will also get a UK atlas and take a good look at the areas suggested by you all. Hay on Wye in particular sounds interesting... thanks!!!

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Kay

We stayed in the Cotswolds last year in Stow-in-Wold and were able to combine walks with the limited local bus and taxi systems to have some fun independent walks. I found some routes described on websites of organzied tours, got a book describing walks in the Cotswolds, then also checked in the local tourist office to make our choices. It went fine with one B&B as base.

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Liz

I agree with the above post about the lake district, in particular Keswick being a great base for a walking holiday. <BR>Keswick is a small market town that is also steeped in History - they even have a mini stonehenge there! and is such a variety of walks to choose from you definatley wouldn't be disappointed. The scenery is, I think anyway, the best in England, at some higher points you can see as far as Scotland on a clear day. <BR>Check out <BR>http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/ <BR>For more information. <BR>You'll have a great time wherever you go, for the english who ejoy walking <BR>it is a great passion. <BR>Have fun whatever you decide! <BR>