Reload this Page >

Can you sleep on the plane? HOW?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Judy

I can't sleep on airplanes. I try and I try. I don't know if it's the pressurized cabin; trying to sleep sitting virtually straight up; or what...<BR>I'm game for any suggestions on how you do it.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Kay

I can't either, but this time I got a prescription for Ambien from my Dr. and I did sleep for about 3 1/2 hrs.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Sandy

Ditto on the sleeping pill. I also use a blow up neck pillow, a blow up lumbar pillow for my back, eye shades and taking off your shoes... just make sure you are wearing sox or take a pair to slip on. I also suggest saving your frequent flyer miles and upgrading to business class!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:58 PM
hate2fly

I can't even sleep sitting up on my bed so there is no way I can fall asleep sitting in a seat on a plane.<BR>I just drowse and drink lots of coffee when I arrive.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Cindy

I was never able to sleep (anxiety) and drinking alcohol only increased that inability. My doctor prescribed Ativan, which made me lose the anxiety, and put me to sleep. Can't drink alcohol with it, but who cares?! Je dors donc je suis.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:37 PM
sleepyhead

First of all, DON'T get enough sleep the night before you fly. That should be pretty easy to do. Just put off packing until the last minute like I do.<BR><BR>Next, have you tried a neck pillow? It gives your head the illusion that it is lying down, i.e., that your neck does not have to support it. Also, if you do sleep, you will not wake with the world's worst stiff neck. <BR><BR>Eyeshades if light bothers you. Earplugs if sound bothers you.<BR>You are reclining your seat, right?<BR><BR>Finally, AMBIEN!! This is a "new" type of sleeping pill that will not leave you groggy like Ativan, Xanax, Haldol, what-have-you. I like to say it doesn't make you sleep, it just makes the hands on your watch go around. You can get up, go to the loo, go back to your seat, close your eyes, check your watch -- presto! 2 hours have gone by.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 04:43 AM
roco

I just read an old "jet lag" article which mentioned both Ambien and SONATA as being short-term sleep "inducers". Have read lots of threads that mention Ambien--has anyone tried Sonata?? Which works best? I have no sleeping problems in the good old bed, but the big trip is coming up, and I've never been asleep for a minute on a plane.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Michael Snowdon

I could never sleep on a plane, I travel for work and in the last few years I have learned that you must relax to be able to sleep. Don't worry about what is going on around you. Cross you arms that will give you a sense of security.<BR><BR>I can get on a plane and sleep like a baby.<BR><BR>Michael.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Sue

Two gin & tonics at the airport and four on the plane usually work a treat for me!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Linda

Judy:<BR><BR>My husband was the worst at sleeping on a trans atlantic flight. Finally, (it was his idea) he started getting up earlier the week before our trip and took Ambien. We take the Ambien two hours after we take off from Miami and five hours later we get up for breakfast. Ambien is the key along with eyeshades and earplugs.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:32 AM
elvira

If I'm anxious, I can't sleep, so I overplan - all my reservations made and confirmed, arrive at the airport at least an hour before the recommended time, have my transportation from the airport planned (which bus, location of the train station, how much a taxi will cost, etc.), about $150 in local currency should the ATMs be on the fritz, etc.<BR><BR>I wear something comfortable but not dorky - soft cotton pants or long full skirt, t-shirt with a long sleeved blouse over it, cotton socks. I try to get a window seat in the last few rows so I board first and can get my rollaboard in the overhead without a struggle, then get comfortable (shoes off, slipper socks on, blanket arranged around me, pillows [I bring a small travel pillow to put behind the small of my back] set, pull the headrest forward [most flights now seem to have that kind]), and have all my "comfort essentials" in a small bag looped over the traytable lock. I get a beer from the beverage cart, eat dinner, ask for a cup of hot water for my melatonin tea (or some sort of Sleepytime concoction), take two -PM tablets, and I'm out like a light. I set my travel alarm for about 90 minutes before arrival time so I don't wake up every hour "are we there yet?".<BR><BR>I'm also lucky - I love to fly, I'm short and small-boned so I fit ok in the mini-seats (I once sat next to a football player - 6'4" 240lbs minimum - and I never saw such misery in my life), and I can sleep anywhere.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:43 AM
marciab

<BR>I've never been able to sleep much on airplanes either, AND I am six feet tall, most of that legs, so I have a really uncomfortable time with the seats so jammed together.<BR><BR>Based on the recommendations on this board, I decided to try Ambien for my overnight flight from Vancouver BC to London. I took it around the same time as dinner arrived and after dinner, settled down to see if it worked. Even though the plane was full and I couldn't even straighten my legs, FIVE hours somehow disappeared. It was marvelous. I arrived in London fully charged, no hangover.<BR><BR>I just called the nurse at my Dr.'s office and explained that I was going to Europe, and I had heard about Ambien and would like to try it. I requested three pills, one for the way over, one for the way back, and one to try out ahead of time. No problem, they just phoned it in to the pharmacy. From now on, I will always get Ambien for those overseas flights.<BR><BR>Thanks for recommending it, Fodorites. That tip alone made it worth wading through the trolls on this board (almost).

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:34 AM
careful

I got overenthusiastic with Ambien on a nine hour flight (preceded by a four and a half hour flight and three hour layover - O to live in a gateway city!)I took one, slept two to three hours, stayed up for awhile, then took another. First time I've ever thrown up on a plane, and I didn't feel sick to my stomach. I try not to eat much airplane food, so an almost empty stomach didn't help. So, I'd suggest just one, folks, for the flight.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:12 PM
nancy

I you don't also want to try the sleeping potions, do try the blow-up neck pillow. I wouldn't get on a plane without one.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Red

Ambien, a sleep mask, a blanket, and a good neck pillow.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:41 PM
ttt

topping

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Pandora

Does Ambien work for anxiety as well? Can you drink a glass of wine with it, or do you need to lay off alcohol entirely?

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Red

You shouldn't drink alcohol with any medication but .....<BR><BR>I eat pop the ambien right before meal service, eat my meal, drink my wine, and then settle in.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 09:18 PM
drugs

Who said you cannot take Ativan with alcohol?<BR>2mg of Ativan plus 8 beer gets me 8 hours of sleep.<BR><BR>ps.<BR>If the cabin was not pressurised you would sleep for a very long time.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 10:29 PM
I-don't

Drugs: Please explain connection between pressurized cabin and how long you sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -