Can you see Sicily in a Week?

Old Dec 7th, 1997, 12:13 PM
Sue

Can you see Sicily in a Week?

Husband & I are going to Amalfi Coast for 1 week in September of 98 and then wondered about renting a car in Sicily for a week - good idea? Thought about staying in Taormina 3 nights - a night in maybe Agrigento and then Palermo. Figured one week would be enough on the Amalfi Coast and then do Sicily. Is it safe & easy enough to rent a car and see Sicily? Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have.

Old Dec 8th, 1997, 11:29 AM
james

Yes, you can see Sicily in one week provided you make some adjustments to your plans. Fly into Palermo and rent a car (don't waste a night there). drive around the southern cost CCW, staying the first night in erice, a mountain town not to be missed. The other places you mentioned are fine, but don't overlook Siracusa and Ortygia - one night. Cut back Taormina to 1-2 nights. Try to stay one night in the mountains. To conclude, drive the main highway through the middle of Ssicily back to palermo to depart - you can skip the northen coast and see some other time - no big loss. We were there in February - 60-70 degrees every day - not crowded - fruit coming in. Don't miss it - very nice and great food. See all the ruins on the southern coast - the main highlight of Sicily, as well as the ampitheatre in Siracusa. Read the history - many influences due to constant invasion. And learn about Sicilian food and wine beforehand. have fun - I'm envious.

Old Dec 14th, 1997, 03:15 PM
Margaret Spatola

I would try to allow more time for Sicily and not spend a week on the Amalfi coast. We allowed four days for Sicily and that was hardly enough. There is so much to see. Remember you will lose a day traveling each way. Definitely fly to Palmero and rent a car. The airport is not actually in Palermo so you will avoid the traffic there. The traffic in the small towns of Sicily is horrendous. Too many car, too few roads and hills to go around. Erice is a beautiful place to stay. The ruins in the Agrigento area are worth seeing. Allow time for driving. Even though the mileage seems low it takes a lot of time. We stayed at a farm outside of Pizzolungo and it was a great experience. Sicily was actually the highlight of our 3-1/2 week trip to Italy. We found the area around Pompeii to be very depressed, so I wonder about the rest of the Amalfi coast. Have a good time.

Old Dec 16th, 1997, 10:37 PM
Joanna White

I would agree that one week is not sufficient for Sicily. Last year a friend and I did an archaeological tour (coach trip) and two weeks was only just enough and we still didn't see everything! For the previous posting - we also saw the Amalfi coast - from Sorrento south it is absolutely glorious and so different from the depressed Neapolitan region. Positano, Ravello, Amalfi - each town was wonderful. If you go back make sure you continue south from Sorrento.
My friend and I loved the south and found it no more chaotic than the rest of Italy, despite its reputation.
Bon Voyage!

Old Dec 18th, 1997, 04:22 PM
Jules Callen

Sicily is wonderful to visit, even if you only have one week. Two would be better!
If you decide to stay in Taormina, may I suggest Villa Fiorita. Ask for a room with terrace, as the views along the coast are superb. They also provide carparking upon request - a handy thing to have. The Aolian Islands are a treat also, especially Lipari if you get the chance - about an hours boat ride from Messina. On the Amalfi, Ravello is a very beautiful village high above the town of Amalfi. Beautiful gardens at Villa Cimbrone, where you can also stay. For a wonderful "splurge" meal, try Hotel Palumbo. Enjoy!