Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend a great 2 BR Paris apartment (legal)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed recently in a centrally-located 2-bedroom Paris apartment you loved? Looking for two "real" bedrooms, two baths, nice view if possible (not into a brick wall), and hopefully a pull-out sofa for an optional 5th person. I've been looking at VRBO and some rental sites, but often there's something I don't want, such as a 6th-floor walkup, or interior spiral staircase up to the bedrooms, or the second bedroom tiny with no window or bunk beds or something. I'm looking for a central location close to a Metro and walking distance from great streets and places. I'll keep plugging away on the websites, but thought I'd check with this well-traveled group of knowledgeable and helpful folks to see if anyone has already found such a place! (And yes, I'm interested in a "legal" rental.)

Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 01:56 PM

When do you need this apartment?
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 09:18 PM

We stayed in a three bedroom AirBnB (and yes, it is legal!) in the "Veggietown" neighborhood in the 10th. Bedrooms were good size, it worked well for the three adults in our party. Not posh but clean and well located, with lovely owners. The second bathroom is a rather small shower but it works fine.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 09:03 AM

Palais Royale

Years ago we rented a very nice apartment in the Palais Royale through Paris Vacation Apartments (google for their web site). 2 BR/2 BA, overlooking the interior courtyard. No elevator that I recall, but only one flight of stairs. They manage 20 or so apartments there and St. Germain area. We were there well before the “legal” stipulations, but I can’t imagine they are not legal rentals.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 09:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>but I can’t imagine they are not legal rentals.<<

Maybe . . . maybe not. I just looked at one of their flats near Palais Royale and there is no registration number I can find.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 03:04 PM

Absolutely not central, but we can recommend a house (yes, a house not an apartment) right beside the Avron metro stop in the Charonne/St. Blaise area. Excellent value. An Auchon supermaket right next door, Pere Lachaise about a 14 min. walk north. More than one bath etc etc.
Happy to pass along details.
Bonne chance BakerStreet.

I am done. The end.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 03:40 PM

I don’t see a 13 digit number on the PVA website, but I do see a SIRET number. It’s been a business (not someone’s personal apartment) for twenty years. I believe it is a legal rental, but welcome someone’s informed opinion.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 05:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
What is your budget?

We have rented from Guest Apartment, Paris Perfect, France For Rent, Paris For Rent.
We only rented a 1 bedroom but these services have many choices.

https://www.guestapartment.com/paris...al-apartments/

https://www.parisperfect.com/

https://www.franceforrent.com/

https://www.parisforrent.com/search?...kout=undefined
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@TPAYT - I looked at those sites. Some, but not all, of the apartments by Paris for Rent have registration numbers, the two by Paris Perfect that I checked do too. They are legal.

I could not find registration numbers on the other two sites. Maybe you can point them out, but if not those apartments are not legal.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 06:51 AM

A Siret number is simply a business registration number. Once you have one you have to declare which of the 40-something types of businesses you are operating, only one of which is property rental (and that is categorized further) and comply with the rules for operating that kind of business. So, no, having a Siret number does not mean you are running a legal short-term apartment rental business.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 09:10 AM

Someone posted a list once with legal rental addresses published by the city.....sorry, I cannot recall the particulars. I realize that the address is not specific for an apartment but for a building. Almost all of Paris Vacation Apartment addresses were on that list. We've stayed in many so I knew the addresses. It is not a guarantee but looked like pretty good evidence they are legal
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 10:28 AM

I looked at Paris Vacation Apartments on Air B&B, and they post the registration numbers on THAT website. Here’s the three bedroom Palais Royal apartment: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1492944...aXWb95y7MV3BiY I looked and the number is also on the two bedroom website. So that company is legal.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 05:52 AM

The first line of the PVA website for all of their apartments state the same as this.

PVA has an office in Paris listed on their website too. I've rented twice from them and both were legal apartments.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 01:33 PM

I would suggest visiting the Paris Perfect website (parisperfect.com). I have stayed in four different Paris Perfect apartments and loved them all. I especially prefer their apartments on Place Dauphine, which has a perfect location on Ile de la Cité.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 08:32 PM

Bumper, I can't see the words 'Place Dauphine' without recalling our youthful stays there about a century ago, in the good ole 'Henri IV' cheapie hotel! That dive was a stone-cold classic, with the nastiest manager woman ever inflicted on the traveler. We used to get up early, to be first at the so-called breakfast room, just for the gory satisfaction of watching her abuse every single person who came downstairs.
And I miss the atmospheric old trees in Pl. Dauphine---they cut them down several years ago.

I am done. The end.

Last edited by zebec; Feb 5th, 2020 at 08:33 PM. Reason: harassed by that same same manager while typing
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 04:07 AM

The Henri IV is long gone. Now you could wake up, walk out on your balcony to overlook one of he most beautiful squares (actually a triangle) in Paris. In the afternoon, you can watch a spirited game of boules from a park bench or sip a glass of rosé at a sidewalk café. I go to France once or twice a year and when in Paris, always stay either on Place Dauphine or Ile Saint-Louis. I am going for ten days next month, staying at the Hotel de Lutece on Ile Saint Louis.

Last edited by bumper; Feb 6th, 2020 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 07:49 PM

You can find (2) adjacent, two-bedroom/2 bath apartments in the Marais on VRBO # 103594 and 114205. They have registration numbers on their postings so they appear to be legal and they have good reviews.