Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you offer info for driving in far southern tip of Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking into a car trip to Sicily. We'd fly into Catania , drive the island for a week, and are considering taking the car ferry from Messina cross to the Italian mainland.
My main question is about then driving up , ON THE FREEWAY, toward Naples or Rome (skirting around both probably). One doesn't read much about travel to the far south of Italy, but I feel like the terrain would be lovely. What can you tell us about that area.? (we lived overseas for 5 years, almost always rent a car, and are both good navigators...and my husband loves to "take uncharted paths"!) In past years his business took him on trips to Timbuctu (3 times), the Sahara, Russia 3 times (Siberia in the winter), Chile, Peru, Yeman etc....so he's not afraid of adventure.
However; we ARE in our early 70's now and ALERT, (just knee and joint problems etc).
We've been to Italy 5 times...and drove a car 2 of those, in the North.

Will we be OK driving in Sicily?. I've read both sides of this, but having a car seems so much easier to us than trains, busses, and loads of walking. We turn in early in the evenings, and seem to be able so far to know how to keep track of our wallet/purse &gt We wouldn't drive into the big cities (though we HAVE in the past, in Europe, and down little narrow alleys also).
Mainly I want to know about towns and sites and traveling from the Reggio area toward the north....Places we might stop for a night, etc. ?
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Driving the autostrada north from Reggio is very easy and scenic. Plenty of Autogrilles to stop at for gas and snacks if necessary. The beach town of Pizzo is a nice place to stop and is just off the A3. The largest city you will pass by will be Cosenza but I wouldn't stop there. Continue toward Maratea on the coast. If you are taking your time on this drive, you could instead take the coastal highway, S18, north from Pizzo to Maratea but you will miss some great sights in the mountains and the incredible engineering feat it was to build that highway. I would spend at least one night in Maratea, or Maratea Porto, which are beautiful little towns on the Gulf of Policastro. If you return to the A3, take the S585 highway and stop and see the hilltown of Rivello which clings to the side of a mountain. Or, you can continue on the coastal highway, slow but beautiful, and see the Cape of Palinuro and Paestum.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:49 AM

A3 from the tip back to Naples is really very pretty. Especially the first 100km or so along the coast. Keep in mind that they're doing some extensive rebuilding there - new tunnels and new bridges. When we went through there last December, most of that stretch from Villa San Giovanni onward is one-lane each direction only. I think we averaged about 70km/h rather than 130.

As for driving in Sicily, I think you've read my thread. Stay out of Catania and Palermo. Also, I suggest you look into getting/renting a GPS. But make sure you have the right database loaded onto it.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Wow~~~these postings REALLY slip down fast, don't they.?
Thanks for these two responses, they are very helpful.'
I'll top this in case I can pick up any more hints about the far southern tip of Italy and driving a car.(also driving in Sicily and taking the car ferry across to the mainland from Messina)
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM

mari5 - I thought you've responded to my Sicily/Amalfi driving report. But I guess not. It's very long, but with very detailed stuff about my driving experience there, including trying to find the ferry from Messina to the mainland:

fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&tid=34921562
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan: No I didn't reply previously to your Sicily report, but I DID look it over and looked it over again just now. It is very detailed and good, and as we get closer to planning our trip I will print it out and study it more thoroughly.
We're not worried about getting lost,,,never do (though you said you never did either prior to that trip),, but we do occasionally PASS the intended turn off and have to go back. Husband is a geologist and both of us have a good sense of direction and use of maps.
I thihk you are from HOuston,, (where we lived for 25 yrs.), but now being in the hill country we tend to use AAirlines for oveseas travel. ....AA to London Gatwick,and non stop Gatwick to Catania on British Airways (AA's codeshare). WE "might" do the whole trip to Sicily on FF points ?!
Thanks for your thorough report and though we would do a few things different , you have supplied us with a wealth of information.
We've waited too long for the trip this spring (March/April is the end date for us....then we would possibly go in Oct/Nov! (husband's knee replacement would take place in the summer!)
The car ferry from Messina was fine, right?...taking about how long...30 min. or so?. And then the drive up the coast toward Naples: your info is incouraging as was the post previous.
We spent 2 weeks in the Sorrento area a few years ago, so would just probably scoot on up further north than Naples.

Were you at ANY time apprehensive in Sicily with the people.? I've heard they are friendly, but some reserved.
But apparently Sicily is filled with a large variety of interests and terrain, and it appears to be a great place to visit.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM

mari5 - I find Sicily highly enjoyable. People are great. And while I emphasize the driving "excursion", I never actually got lost. Just turn around. No big deal.

There's just so much to see, with such varied landscape and history. It's absolutely fascinating.

The car ferry across the Messina strait takes about 20 minutes. Our ferry had to wait for another to get out of the Villa San Giovanni pier, so took an extra 10 minutes or so.

Just know that either Bluvia or Caronte & Tourist ferries is fine, and should cost the same. Both frequent.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:43 AM

How'd it go????

We are considering doing a similar trip next week (last-minute or I'd be more prepared!!) - driving from Sicily up to the Avellino region of Campania and thinking of making stops in Tropea and Maratea (even though it seems like the detours will add a bit of drive-tip to the trip).

Other factor is that, last I checked the weather, it was supposed to get cold and rainy all over Southern Italy soon after we arrive so now I wondering if we should skip the coast this trip (we can day-trip to Maratea from our vacation home, so can save it for a trip in a different season if need be) and stick to stops along the A3?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions??
Thanks!
Nicole