Reload this Page >

can we send items back to the USA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:11 PM
cam

we plan to return to italy in 2002. our question has to do with luggage and some of the great items we would like to buy and transport back home.<BR><BR>can we ship back home via an international carrier some of the items we purchase or perhaps some of the clothes that we do not need at the end of our two week trip? <BR><BR>we noticed many places sold inexpensive luggage and thought of shipping back our excess so that the last few days in rome, we are not burdoned.<BR><BR>any suggestions?<BR><BR>cam

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:32 PM
GoodGrief

Absolutely not. International shipping is illegal. Whatever you buy but cannot carry will have to be left behind.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:06 PM
Sue

There are Mail Boxes in Italy; saw them in both Rome and Florence. We sent some things back from Florence thru them, and it was much easier than having to go out to buy all the tape,paper, bubble wrap, etc, then hike to a post office with it, as we have done on previous trips. One stop shopping and arrived shortly after we got home.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:26 PM
JOdy

of course you can. Friends who cruise and don't need their evening clothes after arriving for their land portion do it all the time. Just make sure you declare anyrthing that you have bought and packed. No big deal, you may have to go to airport to pick it up but that sure beats lugging excess around.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:53 PM
PostLady

Oh, come on Good Grief! Lighten up! I would be willing to bet you have not even left your own state! Cam has a legitimate question.<BR><BR>Cam, have not been to Italy, have been to Switzerland. You can mail things back but you need to be aware of two things: 1. The Price - depending on how much you send back and how much it weighs, you may be looking at shelling out a pretty penny. I have done it before on an extended trip. It was expensive, but worth it.<BR><BR>2. The Italian Mail System - has a reputation for being very slow. I am planning to go to Italy this summer and people have told me that mailing things back to the US have taken a long time to get back here. Consider yourself warned.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 04:43 AM
xxx

Tony, I think it's common knowledge that the Italian postal system is slow. It doesn't mean it's a bad experience, that's just how it is. I am speaking from much first hand experience.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:22 AM
GoodGrief

PostLady - <BR><BR>I was kidding - there's no need to get so bent out of shape. Your conclusion that I haven't left the state is a bit bewildering.<BR><BR>Cam - I've shipped items from many different countries, without any real trouble. I lived in Rome for a couple of years in college and as a grad student in '89 and '91 and shipped a number of things back to the U.S. I'd recommend a carrier such as FedEx, or the Vatican Post Office over the Italian postal service.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:45 AM
Mel

I always ship home the things I buy for others--really wonderful not to have to lug extra stuff around. You can usually get the store to do it, if you're dealing with a larger company (in London, Fortnum & Mason, Harrods, Harvey Nicks, etc.) <BR><BR>The one problem I encountered was in Italy. My sister bought a beautiful leather purse in Florence, mailed it home and, when it finally arrived weeks later, it had been opened and inspected by our postal service. The problem was that they tossed the stuff around and folded the box right across her purse. Made an irrepairable crease across the leather. By the way, my stuff came back fine and was never opened.<BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:05 AM
tony

I second the idea of asking the store to ship items directly yo your house, if that service is available. Just don't forget to ask the shipping charges.<BR><BR>By the way, don't be dismayyed by the idiot snobs who ridiculed the question. Forgive them -- they've obviously forgotten, or never kniew, the real reason for having a travel forum.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:13 AM
Danna

Cam... we sent back 2 packages in a 3 week trip, books we bought along the way, guidebooks we didn't need, gifts we didn't want on arrival, unneeded clothes etc. It was pricey but worth the lightening of the load. Also, it took about a month to arrive, and it was fun to open up our memories one more time!

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:54 PM
Kay

I have sent clothes and tour books through the Italian PO with no problem, just takes a while to get home. I send anything I really don't want to lose home by FedEX. The only problem I have had was when "The Kiss" was opened and not properly packed back up. The Rodin copy was fine, but I was pretty angry as even the replica was expensive. My hotel packed it up and sent it for me!

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 07:26 PM
Lo

I manage for DHL in the US. I am sure you will find our offices all over the world. Just know that these days if you are an unknown shipper your goods will possibly be inspected due to security regs. In 2-3 days you would have your goods from Italy.<BR>I'm planning a trip for this summer and plan to ship home oodles of ceramics if I am lucky shopping!

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:07 PM
ron

Yes, of course you can send things back to the states. I travel frequently and there are MailBox, Etc. franchises (or Europe's version of them) everywhere. I've brought in items (everything from gifts to dirty laundry I didn't want to carry) and had the shop pack and ship the items. It costs (by weight and method of shipping), but it's a great way to lighten your load as you travel.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Kay

Cam:<BR><BR>We used DHL to send home two boxes of<BR>ceramics last summer. They arrived <BR>on time and we had absolutely no problem with breakage. The first time I went to Italy I researched this topic but was leary of shipping. I am so sorry that I did not use DHL both times.<BR>Shop till you drop! Remember, buy it when you see it as you will likely never see the same piece or item again.<BR>Have a great trip.<BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 01:59 AM
christina

ciao cam<BR><BR>there is absolutly no problem shipping stuff back home. never ever use our italian post! things cost A LOT and if it arrives..... how knows?? i even miss letters sent from my family out of switzerland. <BR><BR>if you want to use a practical system go to one of the many many mailboxes etc. they are allover. specially here in florence. there you can choose between fedex or ups, there prices are good and items arrive all in time. often you get some 5% off, when you are telling them that you stay in a hotel (must be one of the nearby hotels). they pack all the stuff for you, incl. your luggage. <BR><BR>have a good trip and enjoy!!<BR><BR>christina

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:14 AM
lo

If you deal with DHL in the US(or another coutry), you can contact your rep or the call center 1-800 CALL DHL, and have them set you up an import account #. This is very useful as it can be used to ship from any country to the US. The rates are based on the US rates and therefore lower than you would find if you prepaid in many countries.<BR>