7 nights- Naples and ?? Capri

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In June, after being in Greece for 2 weeks I may go to Italy for a week. Naples is a must for 3-4 nights. I am questioning whether to spend the rest of the time in Capri (as I love islands) or somewhere else? My love for islands has to do with my passion for beaches, and I understand Capri's are not that great. Would I find enough to do on Capri for 3 nights? I have read that it is most rewarding after the day trippers have left, which would entail spending a night or more there.

Any thoughts? I will probably see Pompeii from Naples (this will be my second time there) and the Archaeology museum. Most people seem to recommend Sorrento as a base?
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 03:50 AM
ira

Hi AP,

You could use Capri as a base to visit Positano, Sorrento, Amalfi, but check the ferry schedules. You will have to return early.

The only sandy beach in the area is (I think) at Positano.

You might want to take a train to Paestum for a daytrip from Naples.

See http://sights.seindal.dk/sight/86_Paestum.html

Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira! I went to Paestum on my way to Maratea 1 1/2 years ago, and I did Pompeii on a bus trip from Rome 3 years ago. I do want to re-visit both, and also the person I would be with hasn't been to any of the sites.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 04:06 AM

We spent 3nights/2 1/2 days in Naples in June and kind of felt like we short-changed it a bit (and we visited Pompeii from Positano; not while staying in Naples). Depending on what you like, there's a lot to do in Naples. We also spent a couple of nights on Capri and were glad we did. I can't really comment on the beaches there, other than the small rocky one near Marina Grande where we killed some time waiting for a ferry. We did some of the walks/hikes during the day (Villa Jovis, Arco Naturale, Torre Damecuta) to get away from the crowds and really enjoyed the quieter evenings around the piazetta.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:32 AM

AP - The best beaches in the area, I think, are on the island of Ischia.

It's a good choice if you just want a few days beach time - though it's less convenient than Capri if you want to visit the mainland.

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/campani...a/beaches.html

http://www.travelplan.it/ischia_guid...ia_beaches.htm

Steve

Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 07:34 AM

Why not go to Herculaneum this trip? Some people like it better. And looks like Ischia is the island for you.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 07:52 AM

We have gone to Capri two times for several nights - obviously we enjoy spending some time there but it is not a heavy sightseeing destination. You can go up to Anacapri where there is a small chair lift up to some ruins of a villa. You can do the blue grotto thing by itslef or combined with a boat trip all around the island. There is a walk/hike up to another villa at the other end of the island. I don't think there are any sandy beaches but there are several bathing clubs where you can get mats or chairs and sit by the water. We go to Capri to relax and just enjoy the general ambience of the island. You can do alot of people watching at the piazetta if that is your thing. Just walking around looking at the lovely houses, gardens and amazing sea views keeps me happy, then we spend some pool time in the afternoon and enjoy long dinners in the evening. You could drop alot of money shopping at upscale shops and I think there is quite the nightclub scene but those are not my interests. Hope that gives you some idea as to whether you would enjoy yourself there! SueC1
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Is the main difference between staying in Capri Town and Anacapri is that Anacapri is quieter?
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Hey AP6380!
People talk about the amazing Amalfi Drive. What did you think of the drive to Maratea? I think it makes Amalfi look like a drive in the park.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

The Maratea drive was VERY time consuming. Very, very windy. I imagine that the Amalfi Coast would be that plus traffic!
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 08:02 PM

ira-
sorry, but I will step forward to say that the statement

"the only sandy beach in the area is (I think) at Positano." really kind of misrepresents the Amalfi Coast. This bothers me because I know you love to contribute to this board and have written a massive number of responses. But it's important to qualify your answers sometimes or at least take a minute to more carefully consider whether they really give good information. I have respect for your commitment to this board, so I care alot about the quality of those answers.

Reading your statement makes me wonder if you have traveled that area more than just once. The area's beaches are more pebbly than sandy, and there are beaches at Positano, Atrani, small ones at Furore, Marina di Praia, a larger one at Amalfi, several out of the way beaches, and some iaround Nerano on the Sorrentine Penninsula- adjacent to the Amalfi COast. Then there are some at Sorrento also. The beach at Positano is no more or less "sandy " than any of these others.

Capri has small beaches, but one can balance that with the fact that there are several spectacular places to swim, including the little beach by the lighthouse.

Ischia's best beaches (IMO) are the ones at Capo Sant'angelo, and then you have the spa with it's thermal baths just steps away. Then there is the tiny beach at Panza, with it's natural thermal pools.
Ischia has a very different look and feel than Capri does, but it's a great place to relax and the the air and thermal waters there have magical powers- yes, really! You might want to read (or reread) "An Italian Affair" to get a sense of the place-
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:18 AM

"Would I find enough to do on Capri for 3 nights?" Well, I've been twice for a week each time (once alone & once with DH) & not been bored - but then I am v. lazy I've mainly spent the time lazing around enjoying the views, with the odd walk to the Arco Naturale etc & a trip via bus to Anacapri, the Blue Grotto & its adjacent beach club, each time I've visited. Plus just wandering around the pretty back lanes of Capri Town, plus of course eating & drinking. You are absolutely correct to say it's much better after the day trippers have left; but most of them don't make it much beyond the main sqaure in Capri Town & a couple of minutes' walk will take you to quiet & pretty lanes. It is true to say that there are no sandy beaches on Capri or anywhere on the Amalfi Coast - they are all stony - but nevertheless I have enjoyed days at beach clubs there. I believe Ischia does have better beaches but won't know from personal experience until next June myself !
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:14 PM
ira

Dear bella,

As you noted, I qualified my remark with "I think".

Thank you for providing a very good list of the available beaches in the area.

Happy Holidays.

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Saving re: maratea drive
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Anacapri is quieter and if you spend a lot of time at the hotel the views are better because you get to look down on Capri. The chairlift at Anacapri is fun, as is the bus ride back and forth from city to city. Enjoy
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM

If you're looking for something different to do. Down at Paestum and Battipaglia you can visit a buffalo mozzarella dairy. Belive it or not it's very interesting. And you can get a great caprese salad.