Search

Can we fit in Carcassone

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we fit in Carcassone

Hello All,

We will be in Provence for our trip in a couple of weeks and would like to fit in Carcassone, just not sure where it would fit.

2 London
1 night Avignon
6 nights St. Remy
2 nights Vaison-la-Romaine
3 nightsin Roussillon
1 night Paris to catch train
1 night London to catch flight

Is it doable?
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/hote...a-cite.en.html

my fav easily done borrow from your 6 nights

seat61.com training info took the Talgo Med last from

Montpellier and hung a short right up... not far

No worries it is wonderful do stay inside the walls view rooms

if you can the most scenic with the best vistas...

Happy Travels
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM

Substitute 3rd night in Avignon with an overnight in Carcassonne.

I would fly from London to Toulouse. Drive to Carcassonne (1hr). Overnight in Carcassonne.Drive to St Remy next day (2-1/2 hrs).

I recommend staying at Chateau de Palaja, 5 min from Carcassonne

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/chat...1337ed06e731X1

We stayed there in July.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 06:45 PM

Doable, but plan on returning to Paris from Toulouse, either by train or by plane.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:36 PM

Skip Carcassonne and visit Aigues Mortes instead. It´s a lot closer to St Rémy and probably more authentic to the period than is Carcassonne which is mostly a recreation anyway.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 02:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
That's an awful lot of time in some of those small towns.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM

wish we'd have had time to follow Sarastro's advice. We had planned to visit Carcassonne AND Aigues Mortes. Had to miss the latter, and regretted the choice of Carcassonne. YO cna read the varying opinions of Carcassonne on many places on FF.

ANy particular reason you'e picking St Remy for 6 days? Depending on what you want to see of Provence, you might want to take a few days from St Remy (which we did NOT think was a good base) and add more time to a base further East in the Luberon.

Vaison la Romaine--do you have particular interest in the Roman ruins there? Or nearby wineries? If you are interested in cooking, there is a wonderful lady there who does a fun cooking class from her home in Vaison--a highlight for us.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Agree with kerouac. And although I have enjoyed many trips to Carcassonne, I have to say Aigues-Mortes really trumps it, for me at least.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

We have booked a house in St. Remy for those 6 days.
I cannot change the house rental. Is there some other destination that I should change for something else.

CaliNurse - Vaison-la-Romaine is for the wine tasting
Is 3 nights to much in Rouissllon?

Kerouac - where would be a better place to spend the time?

Please help as we only have 3 weeks left.

Thanks
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 12:03 PM

3 night is Roussillon is too much unless you are using the town as a base.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM

The 19th-century restoration work on Carcassonne isn't known for its authenticity, but the city appears to be wildly popular with tourists for its romantic appearance. IMHO, the best thing about Carcassonne are views of the cité from a distance in evening, when it provides good photo opportunities. But the place is usually inundated with visitors during the day, most of the shops and restaurants are geared toward the tourist trade and it's becoming more and more of a Disney-esque tourist attraction. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it's best to be prepared.

My opinions have been formed as the result of numerous visits over the past 25-30 years, accompanying various friends and family members who simply couldn't miss Carcassonne. I am sure there are many who will disagree. I still remember my first visit in the early 1980s, the towers coming into view at dusk, the lights just coming up - magical!

For what it's worth, I much prefer Avignon to Carcassonne.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 03:27 PM

We did a day trip to Aigue Mortes from our 4-day base in St. Remy last year and enjoyed it more than Carcassonne which we did this year from Toulouse.

We stayed a week in Roussillon last year and did day trips to the villages in the Luberon as well as to Vaison la Romaine. We loved it there and it was convenient to a lot of the Luberon villages and has enough restaurants if you don't want to drive anywhere else during your 3 nights there.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:59 PM

Since you are in St Remy for 6 nights, don't miss the Wed mkt, then WALK along the country road, which becomes a path, to the hospital where Van Gogh stayed. The tourist office can give you the mao. it's a peaceful 30 monute walk and , at least for us, gave a wonderful sense of Vincent, walking along inspired by the same path, the same orchards,the same views. YOu will be right nr Les Antiques and Glanum too.

Our fav place to eat in St Remy was Brasserie du Commerce, on the main square where the market is. A "let's try this" which ended up being cheaper and farrrr nicer good and atmosphere, than some of the better known bistros along the road encircling the old town.
Also go to the macaron place a few doors down from Joel Durand chocolates, Can't recall its exact name (le Thot?) the bakers mom owns it, and those macarons give the ones at Laduree a run for their money!

Wineries are a quick drive outside Vaison.

Didnt go to Rousillon--glad youhave a base nearer to the Luberon. We spent far too much time driving to and back on this trip, returning to St Remy. Mad me rethink the idea of those long round trips to a week long base, for any future travels, weighed against the length of driving on day trips.