Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can toes be exposed in cathedrals/vatican?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Dawn

I am traveling to Italy this spring and I was creating my packing list when the "toe" issue came up.<BR><BR>I wear my tevas quite often when I travel because they are so comfortable. Do you think I will have problems if I showed up at a cathedral or the Vatican with jeans, a long sleeve shirt and tevas?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Rex

Yes, you will see many priests, (monks? friars?) in full length robes - - with exposed toes, in sandals.<BR><BR>Though I am less certain about women. But I still think it is okay.<BR><BR>Oh these petty things, huh?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:45 AM
shanna

Since I'm feeling peevish today:<BR><BR>Dawn, you will be entering a CHURCH. Put on a dress and cover your head. You will leave feeling blessed. If you wear jeans, you'll leave feeling like a loutish tourist. Jesus went barefoot, but, hey, he's Jesus. I've not seen anyone stopped for sandals.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:00 AM
kate

put on a dress and cover your head??? Dawn wants to visit churches, not join a nunnery! Surely one of the advantages about Christianity is that women are NOT expected to dress in a way that SOCIETY deems exceptable (dresses.) A pair of jeans will hardly upset Jesus.<BR><BR>Dawn, yes you can wear sandals, and jeans. Clothing rules only apply to modesty (cleavages, too much bear flesh on legs and arms etc). I think the priests will cop with the sight of your pinkies.<BR><BR>As regards jeans, it's about modesty, not fashion police. Feel free to wear jeans, you'll see many others dressed the same (of ALL nationalities).

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Angela

I know they will let you in with sandals, since that was all I wore and I visited many churches. They will not however let you in with sleeveless tops or shorts above your knees.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Dawn

Thanks to all of you for your assistance.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Pope

Heavens NO! For Peters sake cover your toes!<BR><BR>Must you torture us saints by wearing such sinfully ugly "tevas"?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Professor

To the tune of "The Rain in Spain..."<BR><BR> "With toes exposed, who knows the woes of those (toes)"<BR> "With toes exposed, one's foes could mow those toes..."

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Tom

Lets see. we've had discussions of breasts bared, midriffs bared, heads capped, and ummm... well... something exposed or not exposed.<BR><BR>But this is the funniest one of all.<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Capo

Kate, you're absolutely right, a pair of jeans will hardly upset Jesus. Likewise, a tank top, or shorts will hardly upset God.<BR><BR>It's other *people* who are upset by these things in churches.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Toby

Dawn:<BR><BR>This is a true story.<BR><BR>We were entering St Peters and a young man in front of us had a T Shirt on that had a picture of a cat and the words "Happiness is a Tight Pussy", go ahead and show your toes.<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Archbishop of Boston

That would be just fine, we are not concerns about you my daughter, we really get a Holly woody when we see little boys with little naked toes.... Be blessed now!<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Saint Francis

Admittance - Yes<BR>Holy Chuckle from the rest of us - Yes<BR>Memories - Priceless<BR><BR>For everything else theres mastercard

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Rex

Priceless, I agree.<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Moses

Take thy Tevas to the beach!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Holly Father

This is not very nice my child to remind us of our past sins..... we are only human and the little toes are so sexy to us... oh the altar boys.....

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:09 PM
toe

to the to(e)[p].<BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Bob Brown

This whole discussion reminds me of the time I blundered into a heated discussion in Salisbury Cathedral. Some busybody woman was telling the Vicar (or whatever his title) that she thought he should keep the non worshipers and sinners out of the cathedral. Those tourists were particularly obnoxious because they were not there to worship God; they were just there to gawk at the cathedral. <BR><BR>The Vicar responded that if he kept all the sinners out, no one would be in the building. Besides, if they were outside, how could they be won over to Christ?? <BR><BR>The woman did not like that at all.<BR>Keep those bloomin sinners out of here!!<BR><BR>I had to walk away to keep her from hearing me suppress a loud laugh.<BR>Perhaps not very charitable on my part, but my reaction was that the Vicar was setting her straight. As far as he was concerned, all well behaved visitors were welcome in Salisbury Cathedral. <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Dawn

I apologize for posting my question. I had no idea that my simple little question, which I posted because I was refused entry into a synagogue in Prague last year for having short sleeves, would create so many spin off entries that would result in people around the world being mean and bitter towards one another over footware.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:41 PM
footsy tootsy

No, no, no, Dawn. Don't apologize. Certainly not for setting off a lively & acerbic thread. On this board you can post a toe-tally innocuous post and set 'em off on an unrelated toegent.<BR><BR>A tasteful toe exposure is fine for a Vatican visit. I am assuming that said toes will be nicely pedicured ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -