Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can the student visa and 90 days as tourist pause?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!
I came to Austria as a student, I arrived the 13th of January to the Schengen Zone and my Visa started on the 6th of February and expired on 30th of June.

In my embassy of Austria in Mexico they have told me that the 90 days as a tourist can be paused once the Visa started and then it can be resumed once this expires.

Nevertheless, I have some friends that arrived once the visa started and they left like 2 weeks after the visa expired. They have been stopped on Frankfurt, Germany and they have told them that they stayed illegally in Europe and they are going to be sanctioned.

Since I heard that, I have been looking for help to see if I must resume the 90 days as tourist with any paper and I have gone with lots of offices in Austria but they can’t help me and also called both embassies (Austria in México and Mexico in Austria) and they also can do nothing. But nobody says that it’s not impossible to do it.

Does someone know if I actually have to do any paperwork or if it’s just Germany’s rules or if I have been misinformed with the pause of the 90 days as tourist?
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 06:16 AM

Check with the embassies in the countries you wish to visit.
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 09:36 AM

I am sorry not to know the answer. Do you plan to depart back to Mexico from Germany? If so, you may wish to contact the embassy in Germany to get their opinion since it was the Frankfurt airport that gave your friends a hard time. Good luck to you!