Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can someone help me in asking for the right wine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:02 AM
xoxo

I will be traveling to Madrid then Rome in June. This will be my first trip to Europe and I'm so excited!! One thing though, I've never had wine. It is my understanding that wine is served in lunch and dinner, right? What should I expect in terms of taste and how many types of Chianti should I expect to be offer, should one have only wine with the "right" dish. I know too many questions but I hope someone can help and please excuse my ingnorance on this issue. Thanks.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Florence

Before everybody on this board flay you alive: you won't have Chianti in Madrid, but Rioja ... ;-)

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Dick

I usually ask for the house wine . . rarely have regretted it. It is usually local, and low price. There are a lot of "rules" about wine, but the number one and two rule should be . . drink what you enjoy and experiment. <BR> <BR>Dick

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 06:01 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

That is easy--in both countries. <BR>VINO DEL CASA ! Bianco or rosso is your only real choice. Try the local wines at each destination and enjoy.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 06:08 AM
cheers

Lunch & dinner? <BR> What about the many fine breakfast wines?I recall the parador Gibralfaro offering a variety of wines at breakfast. <BR> Forget the rules, ask for house red or white (meat/fish) read the label & decide whether you like it.Store for future reference. <BR>(OK sometimes house wine comes in a carafe so you dont see the label.) <BR> The house wine is usually good.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 06:37 AM
Diane

Some basics - red wine(vina rosa, vino rosa -- I think it's rosa in both languages -- I know French better, but don't do too badly with Spanish and Italian phrases) and white (vina blanca, vino bianca). People aren't too hard and fast with the "rule" about red for meats and white for fish and poultry anymore. I pretty much drink red wine about 80% of the time because of its slightly lower sugar content. A chilled glass of white wine can be almost as refreshing as a beer in warm weather. As a novice, you can't go wrong with a glass of house red or white (that way if you find you don't like it, you've only bought the minimum amount.) If you find yourself really thirsty, be sure to drink water -- the wine is more to enhance your food (even if it is just a salad or plate of tapas).

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Sheila

Hi!<BR><BR>Let me be the first to disagree with my "colleagues"<BR><BR>House wine may well be fine; but it might be bogging; and unless you know what it is in advance how will you know?<BR><BR>There is only one rule that matters, and that is, as Dick said first, drink what you like.<BR><BR>You have plenty of time to experliment before you leave so why not give it a go?<BR><BR>In Spain, you will find (amongst others)BR>rosada- rose(pale pink)<BR>blanco-white<BR>Cava-sparkling- lovely on a hot afternoon or evening<BR>Clarete- between light red and dark rose<BR>Tinto- red<BR><BR>Taste is BR>Brut- very dry<BR>Seco- dry<BR>semi-seco- medium dry<BR>abocado- medium sweet<BR>dulce- sweet<BR><BR>Its best wine is Vega Sicilia made in Ribera de Duero but you will find some outstanding Riojas and Navarras. Amongst the best riojas are<BR>El Coto<BR>Prado Enea<BR>La Rioja Alta<BR><BR>Amongst the best Navarras are<BR>Ochoa<BR>Senorio de Sarria<BR>Las Campanas.<BR><BR>You may hate them all. But try some before you get much older. Italy follows<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Sheila

OK Now Italy<BR><BR>There are simply too many wines to START to write about them.<BR>rosato- rose(pale pink)<BR>bianco-white<BR>Spumante-sparkling- lovely on a hot afternoon or evening<BR>rosso- red<BR><BR>Taste is BR>Asciutto- very dry<BR>Secco- dry<BR>semi-secco- medium dry<BR>abcocatto- medium sweet<BR>dolce- sweet<BR><BR>If you see wine labelled DOC it simply meansthat it comes from where it says it does and is no guarantee of quality.<BR>If it says DOCG there is a quality (supposedly) associated with it. Unfortunately they have messed about withtheir denominations so badly that quite a lot of their best wine is Vino da Tavola (table wine). Buy a pocket wine guide to tell the difference from plonk.<BR><BR>To talk just about Tuscany where Chianti comes from:- 1. DOCG applies to the whole rea and therefore is no guarnatee of quality 2. The best are uually Chianti Classico; Chianti rufina or Chianti Colli Fiorentini. Vino da Tavola from Chianti is often excellent.<BR><BR>Other great tuscan wines include Brunello di Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino, and Vino Nobile di Montalcino<BR><BR>Please don't think I'm saying DON'T drink the house wine; it's just that some are OK and some are awful (especially in Italy).<BR><BR>And there are no "right" wines;only wines you like.<BR><BR>have a great trip<BR><BR><BR>