Reload this Page >

Can I make it to Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Tricia

I'm planning two weeks in England, and will be visiting London, Bath, Cotswolds, and York. I would like to fit in Edinburgh, but don't know if it is worth the trip. How long does it take to get there, should I take the train or drive, and should I stop in York on my way there?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Sarah

Hi Tricia, <BR> <BR>I lived in the UK for 8 years and Edinburgh was definitely one of my favorite places. I would take the train -- only 4 hours from London and much more relaxing than driving! Since your time sounds tight, you could also fly -- I think there are often cheap deals, but I don't know the details. <BR> <BR>I have never stayed in Edinburgh more than a night or two and can say that a full day or two is adequate, though you would need more if you want to really explore it fully.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Laura

Hi Tricia.......yes, Edinburgh is worth it!!! But do stop in York, you will love it. I also enjoyed the Jorvik (sp?) Center in York...not very expensive, but it is fun...been there a couple of times and took my 42-year old brother there once and he really enjoyed it, too. And do have cream tea while in York...many lovely tea rooms. I want to go with you.......

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:52 AM
janis

York and Edinburgh are on the same RR line from London - So if you are taking the train to York I would do it this way: <BR> <BR>Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh (it only takes a little over 4 hours so you can be up there by mid morning if you catch an early train -- don't bother w/ the overnight sleeper - its much more expensive), then spend either 1 or 2 nights in Edinburgh (2 if you have enough cushion in your schedule). Then take the train to York - about 2 hours - and spend one night there. This will give you 1.5 to 2 days in York which is enough since everything is within walking distance. Then it is just 2+ hours back to London.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Dave

Edinburgh is right at the top of my list of favorite cities. Definitely worth two days, and easy to fit into a two-week itinerary. <BR> <BR>York is also definitely worth seeing, especially as it is so easy to fit into a trip to Edinburgh. You might also consider spending a couple of hours at Durham, which is north of York, also on the main rail line. Not as impressive as York, but easy to add to your itinerary, and the cathedral is definitely worth seeing.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Bernie

Reference Durham, you can walk to the cathedral from the train station so picking trains that stop there, say, 3 hours apart would just about be enough. The train journey is a good one, especially in the northern half, so try to do it in daylight if you can.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:53 AM
John

Tricia: <BR>Took the GNER train from London to Edinburgh last April. Departed 0700 arrived 1135. Spent a glorious day and caught the 1900 train back to London. All this trip proved was that it was not enough time. Took the Lothian tour bus at the foot of Waverly Bridge within walking distance of the train station. One of those tours where you can get on and off at your leisure. <BR> <BR>Can't wait to go back.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:10 PM
steve

Tricia - I'll agree with the other posters, it's worth the trip, take the train, it's great and include York if you can. Two days will be adequate for the city itself, but more time wouldn't hurt.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Mel

Tricia: London was always my favorite city, but one trip to Edinburgh and I was hooked. We've been back several times and can't get enough of it. People are wonderfully friendly, city is more like a town and really lovely. Edinburgh Castle alone would be worth the easy, 4 hour train trip. The posts above give you all you need to talk you into going, I'm sure. This month's Conde Naste has a nice article on it, as well. <BR> <BR>If you do a search on "Edinburgh" you'll find lots more information--there have been several discussions recently. I've posted about my favorite B&B, the Dunedin Guest House. If you want details on it, feel free to e-mail me at the above address. <BR> <BR>One final note: If you wish to stop in York coming or going, be sure to request that when you book your train ticket (which you'll want to do 2-3 weeks in advance to get the superapex ticket--about 1/3 the price of walking up to the window at Kings Cross). BUT, you must note the stops you wish to make. A London/Edinburgh ticket is just that--no getting off (I learned this the hard way). <BR>Have a wonderful trip!