Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I get to Orvieto from Montalcino by public transportation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip this March that starts with 4 or 5 nights Siena. I was going to do two day trips, one to Arezzo and one to Montalcino. The Arezzo one looks pretty easy by bus (thanks to those who answered my questions last fall about this). But for Montalcino I'm not finding anything that works. I see a bus from Siena to Montalcino that gets there about noon which is great, but don't see any options that work for the return. Since my next destination is Orvieto I though it would make more sense to overnight in Montalcino, even though it means another hotel change. But that doesn't really bother me. But I can't find any routes - bus or train from Montalcino to Orvieto.

Do I need put in some other town as a change? Is train or bus better. I'm gusessing bus but I can't find schedule. Anyone know?
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 09:21 AM

By train, looks like you have to backtrack to Siena then change at Chiusi-Chianciano Terme. What a pain. No bus either.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 09:52 AM

Bus to Buonconvento, then train to Siena, then train to Orvieto.

More than 4 hours for a 1:20 drive equivalent.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Isabel, That will not be easy- as you have learned.
If you want the easy way then contact Alex at this site. He is good---I have used him---and he is local.

http://www.montalcinotravel.com/index.php?p=home&lg=en
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 11:07 AM

What if you went to Buonconvento, checked into a hotel, and then went to Montalcino. Can you get back to Buonconvento to spend the night? Good restaurants in Buonconvento and it is a sweet town.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I guess it looks like more trouble than it's worth. Of the major guide books most of them don't even consider that you wouldn't be driving, or they totally ignore logistics, and the one that does (Frommers) makes it sound like there are plenty of buses from Siena to/from Montalcino. Too bad, Montalcino looks nice, maybe next time.

On the plus side, in researching public transportation even more closely than I had, I discovered that Arezzo to Orvieto is only a one hour train ride. My original plan had me doing Arezzo by bus from Siena as a day trip and then moving on to Orvieto the next day by train. So now I think I'll spend the night in Arezzo - means an extra hotel but also means less transportation time/trouble and I get to spend more time in Arezzo.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 06:11 PM

Please put some pictures up of the Piero della Francescas. It must be nearly 20 years since I was there and I am sure they have been done up since then.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 08:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can day trip from Siena to Montalcino. There should be return buses late afternoon (last return bus at 7:30). Did you not want to stay that late?

Otherwise, Montalcino/Orvieto requires multiple changes. Bus requires multiple changes - Montalcino to Torreneiri or San Quirico, change to bus to Montepulciano where you have to change again to Chiancian-Chiusi and then catch the train (too many changes!).

There are some taxi services/drivers in Montalcino if you did want to spend the night and have them drive you (Buonconvento isn't really far if you wanted them drive you to the train). I haven't used these guys (seems Bob has), but they have a taxi service and a wine shop. They used to have rooms available over the wine shop. Don't know if they still do as they don't seem to have it listed on their links anymore. They've never advertised the rooms much, just had a small bit of info on their taxi website.

http://www.montalcinotravel.com/index.php?p=home&lg=en

http://www.enotecapierangioli.com/

Here's the other listings for Montalcino.

http://www.prolocomontalcino.com/en/...s-taxi-service
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 08:17 PM

Siena to Orvieto is a simple trip with a train change in Chiusi. What makes it difficult is Montalcino.

The bus connections to Siena are spokes centered in Siena designed for commuters to travel into Siena in the morning and return back in the evening. If you are starting trip from Siena, you are traveling counter to the designed schedules. Also difficult is moving between surrounding communities. People travel mostly to/from Siena, not between small communities, and the bus routes reflect this demand.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 03:54 AM

I enjoyed my stay at La Corte del Re in Arezzo. I also had an absolutely wonderful lunch at Borgo S. Piero on the via Cisalpina. If you have time in Arezzo, one of the most beautiful Renaissance churches in all of Tuscany (I think), inside and outside, is the Santuario di Santa Maria delle Grazie. It is not impossible to walk there, but it is a trek, so better to take a taxi. It is not far from the train station, so if you are taking a taxi to or from the station, you could ask the driver to swing by and wait for you while you go inside. It is a very small interior with a fantastic della Robbia altar. All of it is a gem.

https://sites.google.com/site/smdgrazie/
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon - yeah I saw that bus, it's the only one. So technically yes, I could do it as a day trip. It would mean almost eight hours there which I think might be a bit much, plus if that bus didn't run, or I missed it or something I'd be totally screwed. I usually like to plan day trips where I have at least one more option to get back to my base than the one I'm planning on (a 'Plan B'). So I could do Montalcino as a day trip but I'm just thinking now it's not worth the effort. When I came up with the idea of doing it as a stopover (spend the night) on the way to Orvieto that looked good just looking at a map, but of course the public transportation options mean that doesn't work.

Sandra - I was looking at La Corte del Re. It looks great, glad to hear you liked it. Do you recall how long a walk it is from the train/bus station? Since I'm only going to be there one night I usually look for something pretty close to the station (but not right next to it) so I can drop the bag and then enjoy the town without it.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 07:27 AM

If you did visit Montalcino, you should plan for lunch when you get there. Most places will quit serving after 2:30 or so, but a few remain open all day (Enoteca Osticcio for one and they have great views). You will find the typical afternoon closings for a couple of hours, but you can visit the Fortezza then. I think your plan B would have to be a taxi to Buonconvento and the last train back to Siena.

Once you are in Siena, you will find your hotel and the tourist office will have options for day trips to Montalcino if you don't mind going with a group. Some combine with other nearby places (Pienza, a vineyard or the Abbey). Usually the Montalcino part is free time. If you do this, check how much time you actually have in Montalcino to see if it's enough for you.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 07:37 AM

Hi Isabel,

I guess you have your reasons for not wanting to rent a car, but I'll just say driving around Tuscany and Umbria was a joy for me on more than one trip! Easy and lots of freedom.

Anyway, I hope you do make it to Montalcino soon. I loved this little town, the great day trips nearby, winetasting at the Fortezz with the incredible views, and excellent dinners at Grappolo Blu.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 07:55 AM

I would choose Orvieto over Montepulciano any day. The funicular is fun, the town is charming, the cathedral is lovely, the views are stunning and the food, La Palomba in particular, is very good.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 08:06 AM

You will need a taxi to Corte del Re. It is right at the edge of the piazza Grande.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon - yes I did think there might be tour options, and I'll definitely take a look once I'm there.

dayle - this trip I am solo so I never rent a car when I'm alone. I have done a driving trip in the area, but it was 13 years ago. I did visit most of the 'main tourist' towns on that trip, Montalcino was the one we skipped. And some day we'll probably do another driving trip in the area.

tarquin - yes I agree, that's why I'm staying several nights in Orvieto.

thanks sandra
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 12:16 PM

Just as a PS, I have found that the Cadogan guides to Italy include the most information about public transport options. Michelin will include the least -- because the publications was started by an auto tire company! All of them need to be double checked against current information. Although I have never bought a Rick Steves guidebook, I have heard they are updated very frequently, and that their message boards favor using public transport over renting a car for Tuscany.

Speaking very generally, a significant part of the popularity of "Tuscany" as a destination for Americans is precisely because it is a car-oriented, scenic drive destination, plus the feeling of the towns being ideal "gated communities". Of course the historic settlements of Tuscany have many more dimensions that that, but for many people buying English-language guidebooks, their main interest is being behind the wheel.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Gertie, the first time I was in Arezzo was 14-15 years ago, and the Piero della Francesca frescoes were being restored at that time. So, if you haven't been there for 20 years, they have definitely been restored since then. I've been there again more recently and saw them after the restoration.

There is a little museum under the Basilica that has temporary exhibits, sometimes very interesting.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 01:02 PM

The trend is for bus service to be cut back. It used to be possible to visit several towns in one day using buses from Siena, but it's become virtually impossible now.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 11:51 AM

I tend to forget about the rail lines that aren't Trenitalia. If you are going to Arezzo from Siena and bus times don't work out, there is the TFT train that operates between Sinalunga/Arezzo/Stia. You can connect in Sinalunga from Siena instead of going through Florence by train. Don't know if that shortens the trip any.

http://www.trasportoferroviariotoscano.it/

http://www.trasportoferroviariotosca...a_14_12_14.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -