Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I do Salzburg as a day trip from Vienna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 03:28 AM
trey

I willbe in Vienna for 5 days and would really like to see salzburg. I was thinking of leaving on the morning train to salzburg and coming back to Vienna in a night train. Advice? I will be in Vienna Jan 3-8.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Ira

There are 5 trains between 7:20 and 10:20 AM to Salzburg and 3 trains from 8:00 - 9:30 PM back.<BR><BR>Next train is 2 AM.<BR><BR>Trip takes 3 - 3 1/2 hrs.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:45 AM
SA

I would suggest @ least an over night stay. Otherwise you would be spending most of the day going back &amp; forth. Based on the few days you will be in Vienna I would advise against it as there is plenty to do in Vienna or go to Ljubljana (only 1 hour or so).

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Bob Brown

Your best travel time from Vienna West Bahnhof to Salzburg is 2 hours, 52 minutes. You must leave on the train at 7:05 to travel that quickly.<BR>Subsequent trains take nearly 3 hours, 30 minutes. <BR><BR><BR>The schedule going back is not quite as favorable, with the best travel time being 3 hours, 15 minutes for a departure at 20:05, which gets you back a little late. <BR><BR>There are several earlier trains that take only a few minutes longer.<BR><BR>One option is that you can eat dinner on the train while returning. In my experience the food on Austrian trains is good, but that means you don't get to sample one of the many good places in Salzburg. I suppose you could eat a heavy lunch and do it that way.<BR><BR>I am not sure you could see everything in Salzburg in the space of 6 - 8 hours, but you could give it a good shot.<BR><BR>The old town part of Salzburg is well away from the train station. The best way to get there and back is to take a taxi.<BR>Go to Mozart Platz, and start walking.<BR>There are buses, of course.<BR><BR>I think you will have a good time touring the city. Let us hope it is not snowing, or pelting you with sleet.<BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Jean

Ljubljana only an hour away??? From where??? It's a 4 hour train ride from Salzburg...

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Anne

I just got back from Salzburg and Vienna, and I'd definitely make time for a trip to Salzburg. Day trip would be tough... there are some tour companies that had brochures in our hotel for them. I'd say take an early train; spend the day and night, then back to Vienna the next day. (ok....really I'd spend 3 days in Salzburg and two in Vienna, not that I didn't enjoy Vienna, but Salzburg is very high on my list of places to return and spend more time!)<BR><BR>Anne

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 04:09 PM
kam

I agree with Anne. Salzburg was our favorite over Vienna. We went from Vienna to Salzburg to Innsbruck by train. I don't remember it took 3 hours or so but that may be the case. It's a charming city. I would make it at least an overnight.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Bob

We have been to both cities a few times. In my opinion Salzburg more fun than Vienna and deserves more time.