Reload this Page >

Can I attend Sunday mass in Assisi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Karen

Good Morning. I have looked in all the guidebooks at the library for the answer to this question. My hubby and I will be in Rome on all days except Wednesday. Therefore, we are unable to attend the papal mass. For an alternative yet similar experience, I was contemplating taking the 2 hour train ride to Assisi for Sunday mass. I have read on this forum that it is special. Yet I cannot find any time for mass listed anywhere. I actually read that St. Francis is closed on Sunday morning for mass - so I wonder is it only for locals? If anyone can enlighten me, please do. Thank you. Karen

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:07 AM
Ursula

Karen hello: You can find the infos (schedules incl.) at the web page of St. Francis of Assisi Parish at:<BR>www.stfrancisofassisi.com<BR>As far as I know, the masses are open to everybody.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Assisi is a lovely spot.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Ursula

Karen: I am terribly sorry. This seems to be a parish elsewhere than Assisi. I'll try to find something with the Italian web.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Ursula

OK, I hope this one is fine, although in Italian:<BR><BR>www.assisi.com/santemesse.php<BR>The masses at the Basilica di San Francesco and other churches are listed there.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 02:45 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Karen<BR><BR>There are masses all Sunday morning in Assisi - you can choose the Basilica of St Francis, Santa Maria degli Angeli, San Damiano or St. Clares - these are the most popular churches, there are others.<BR><BR>If you tell me when you are coming I will give you the exact times of the masses in the church of your choice.<BR><BR>I don't understand why you would come to Assisi for mass however, what do you mean by similar experience to the Papal mass? <BR><BR>On Wednesday the Pope has a public audience, not a mass. On Sundays he says the Angelis and gives his blessing to those in St Peter's Square.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Rex

Mass 4 or 5 times on Sunday in the Basilica - - between the upper and lower chapels. I've been to the lower chapel, and it was very special. Got there early - - and avoided the standing room only crush of people (easily 20% could not get seats).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>