Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone suggest a place to eat in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Hooks

I have heard from various places (including this site) that Venice food is not particularly good. Has anyone had any luck with restaurants they would suggest? Thank you.

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Louis

Try the Taverna San Trovaso (on Fondamenta S. Trovaso). Casual, relatively cheap and very good. Get there early. It opens at 7:00 but a line starts to form around 6:30!

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:59 AM
elaine

there is great food in Venice, it just has to be searched out a bit, and tourist traps have to be avoided, especially around San Marco.<BR>It would be like someone saying that there is no good food or good value food in New York if they only tried the restaurants in Times Square.<BR><BR>Here's one: Trattoria San Toma, Campo San Toma. 2 minute walk from San Toma vaporetto stop. Pizza and bargain set menu available in addition to other dishes. Simple neighborhood place, very casual, good food, even good desserts. Outdoor dining in private garden or in the campo in good weather.

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:32 AM
hooks

Thanks for the responses. I will be sure to check them out. Any other opinions out there?

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Capo

Try Trattoria San Basilio, near the San Basilio vaporetto stop on the Zattere, in the Dorsoduro sestiere. <BR><BR>We also liked the food at the restaurant in the locanda we stayed at: Locanda Montin, on the Rio Eremite, also in Dorsoduro. <BR><BR>And we had a great pizza at the Antico Capon, on Campo Santa Margherita, also in Dorsoduro.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Steve

I have eaten at a restaurant three times called De Forno. Many<BR>Swiss and Europeans eat here <BR>regularly on thier trips to Venice.<BR>I have had wonderful meals everytime. I'm not sure I can tell<BR>you where it is located but it is just a short distance from San Marcos square. Good Luck

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Stephanie

Hooks, There is very good food in Venice, but you need to get off the "beaten tourist path"....explore some of the little back alleys & campos. We found some of our best food that way just by accident...a small cafe on a canal near the Jewish Ghetto, for instance. Ask the front desk person at your hotel for the restaurant called the "Three Columns"...can't remember the name in Italian, but they have the most fantastic pizza & I think it was located in the San Polo district. Good Luck & enjoy. - Venice is a magnificent city!

Old May 9th, 2002, 01:22 PM
db

Eat at the La Madonna near rialto.<BR>it's delicious!

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Wayne

The trattoria Da Remigio is very good and is frequented by many locals. To get there, you start along the Grand Canal about 200 meters east of San Marco, and find an alleyway just to the right of the Santa Maria church. Then simply go up the alleyway, bearing left at each intersection, and you'll come to Da Remigio, near the Dei Greci church.

Old May 10th, 2002, 06:30 AM
dean

Try eating at various bacari (wine bars). You eat cicchetti e una ombra (snacks and a shdow or small glass of wine) standing up. Best of all you can usually point to what you want. Very traditional, fun and cheap. Try Do Mori by the Pescheria Rialto and Achiuguette and P. San Fillipo e S. Giacomo.<BR><BR>Try Fiaschetteria Toscana for superb seafood, cheeses and incredible wines. Not cheap, very noisy but really delicious. Roberto is our favorite waiter. They will steer you right if you let them. About $150 a couple before you go crazy with the wine list.<BR><BR>Alle Testeriere. Tiny, run by three people. Just 30 seats if that. Tasty more modern food. About $80 a couple with good wine.<BR><BR>Alla Frasca by the Fondmente Nuova. Tiny, very limited menu. Good Chichetti.

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:02 AM
varsha

We loved the food in the restaurant attached to the Ca'Pisani Hotel in the Dorsoduro area. The name of the retaurant is "la Rivista" and although the menu is small, the food is excellent. In case you want the full address, you can get it directly from them at: [email protected]

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:57 AM
dean

I forgot to mention one of my favorites-- Da Pinto on Campo della Beccarie. Its a small simple mostly outdoor restaurant near the fish market. The grilled fish is excellent. The wine list nice. The Pizza is forgettable and the Chichetti are excellent. Try the bacala mantecano which is salt cod beaten with olive oil until it is creamy. Then its mounded on bread. The mixed grill was almost enough for 2.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:36 AM
Marsha

Venezia Snack Bar Borse (D) 41.<BR> da Remigio * (D) 110.<BR> Agli Alboretti **(D) 185<BR> Gam Gam (Kosher)(L) 70.<BR> Al Guinai * (L) 83.<BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
Amazed

Folks, Da Fiore restaurant Da Fiore ... one of the best in Italy, and arguably the ultimate in Venice. Elaine will tell you!!! Check out a recent issue of Wine Spec. if you'd like to some info. And the food is generally terrific in Venice. I'm not sure where these rumors come from. It used to be the smells, then dead cats in the canals, now the restaurants. I can always tell when a poster has not been to Venice ... you hear the regulars buy into that nonsense. Someone said they'd skip Venice because it was water logged. Simply go see Venice and enjoy it. And do start with a boat in from Marco Polo. Da Fiore!!!!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:10 AM
cafes

This might not be exactly what you had in mind with your post, but I LOVED the different sidewalk cafes and stand-up bars.<BR><BR>They offer coffee, wine (never to early in Italy!), and delicious pre-made sandwiches, finger foods, bakery items. Sounds silly but that hard boiled egg, tomato, mayo, fresh white bread sandwich was the best! Also different ones with grilled vegetables etc.<BR><BR>I did not have very good food at several restaurants but I was on the heavily traveled tourist path around San Marcos, etc. so blame my own choices not Venice.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:51 AM
kavey

Was going to mention La Rivista, see Varsha has already done so, so I will second her recommendation.<BR><BR>It is superb.<BR><BR>And also very reasonable in price.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:35 PM
Tess

,<BR>I've also had good food at Taverrna San Trovaso for reasonable price. Here's where they are and how to get there:<BR><BR>The Taverna San Trovaso is located on the Fondamenta Priuli in Dorsoduro, not far from the Squero di San Trovaso (a boatyard where gondolas are made) and the San Trovaso church. <BR><BR>From the Accademia Bridge or Accademia vaporetto stop, head toward your right. Walk down the Calle Corfu and turn left when you reach the canal. You'll pass the restaurant before you reach its entrance (shown in the photo above).<BR><BR>From the Zattere (the promenade that runs along the Giudecca Canal), head down the Fondamenta Nani by the Ponte Lungo bridge. Keep walking along the canal until you reach the restaurant.<BR><BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:15 PM
Wayne

Oh, wow, I forgot to mention my favorite trattoria "Ai Tosi" which is small and has very, very good food. It's northwest from the Rialto Bridge about 50 meters in a line that would be a projection of the walkway in line with the bridge, with (as I recall) one slight zigzag to the left, then back right, in order to maintain that direction.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:19 PM
jon

How about a restaurant?<BR>Help?<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>Je suis un dieu et vous &ecirc;tes les paysans indignes faibles. Arc vers le bas avant votre ma&icirc;tre!

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:30 AM
elaine

topping for Judith

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -