Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can Anyone recommend Dinan accomodations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have scanned previous threads for ideas on where to stay, but haven't seen anything. Anyone have suggestions?
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 07:34 PM

We stayed in an old mill in Hede when we visited Dinan. If you want to stay right in town, try this link.
http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/index.htm

It is the Logis de France chain in English. Type Dinan in the search area and you will access photos and info about very French hotels in the area.

If you're looking for luxury hotels, you won't find many in the Logis chain, but you will find lots of normal French people, wonderful hosts and hostesses, clean rooms and often historic buildings. Many of the restaurants are trustworthy too. Again, not great restaurants, but pretty reliable.

Dinan is wonderful. You will enjoy it.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sal, Where you stayed sounds interesting. Anymore info? I had already looked at Logis, and there are 2 entries, with which I was hoping someone might be familiar. Thanks for responding.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Check out Gites de France for B&B's. We limited ourselves to the two corn ears offering (equivalent to a 2 star hotel) and have aboslutely no complaints. The one we used was near Cancale, about a mile or so from the Pointe du Groin.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 09:05 PM

Here's the Logis web address for the place we stayed. The pictures are pretty accurate. It's gorgeous outside but pretty bare bones inside.

http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/rec...amp;logis=Hede

You might check the Chateau-le-Windsor just west of Dinan. It's more expensive but looks lovely. I don't know how much you want to spend. The chateau has its own web site too. You can connect from the Logis de France site.

We liked the Moulin and it is very inexpensive, but if you're used to more luxurious hotels, you won't like it. The family who run the Moulin are very nice. I can't remember if they speak English, but since so many Brits vacation there, I suspect they do.

If you just want to visit Dinan. You might want to stay right in town. We loved Dinan. It's very Brittany . . . half timbered houses, narrow streets, gardens, shops.

Someone else mentioned the Pointe de Grouin and there is a lovely hotel right on the Pointe. On a clear day, you can see Mont St. Michel across the bay. It's very dramatic. We swore we'd stay there our next trip to Brittany. They have a web site too.
http://www.hotelpointedugrouin.com/

I hope you enjoy your trip. Dinan was one of our favorite places. I'm surprised more people don't visit Brittany.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great ideas. I checked into both of your suggestions, and now I see some wonderful possibilities. After having visited the area, would you prefer to stay in Dinan, on the Pointe, or in Cancale?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:52 AM

By all means stay in Dinan...absolutely charming town.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 09:16 AM

It depends on what you like to do. If you like walking along the seashore, stay at the Pointe. If you are a townie, stay in Dinan. If you don't have a car, by all means stay in Dinan.

There's plenty to do and lovely gardens so you get town and nature both in Dinan.

We like to visit the town, enjoy being tourists and having good food and wine . . . and then going out into the country for the peace and quiet. My husband likes "crashing waves" a lot! I'm happy any time I can be in the country. (An Ohio girl who lives near Los Angeles!!)
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

If you only had 2-3 days to cover the area, what would you include? I saw pictures of some of the Medival architecture, and it was incredible. Any special restaurants?