Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Paris & Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Aileen

My husband and I are going to Paris and Rome for our first time in January to celebrate both his 30th birthday and my 29th (our birthdays are a few days apart). We would like to have a "special & fancy" birthday dinner in each city. We don't eat chicken or meat but do enjoy seafood. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:49 AM
RnR

Aileen, I'm going to assume you're serious, so I'll simply suggest you research Paris and Rome restaurants. And look at the Fodors Raves section. There have been scores of threads which will answer your question. By the way, buy the Paris Cheap Eats book, read it, take it with you. You'll swear by it. Now, do the research and you'll find a treasure trove of excellent information. Good luck.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Sherri

If you pull up the thread what are your favorite restaurants in the Saint Germain area there were lots of good suggestions.<BR>Also check out www.zagat.com and eatinpais.com <BR>Good luck ...Viva La France

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Mary

My husband and I loved Les Ambassadeurs which is located in the Hotel Crillon a former palace)on Place Concorde. The room is gorgeous -- lots of marble, mirrors, candelabra and waiters who are very charming. After learning that we had come for our anniversary, they brought out our dessert with joyeaux anniversarie written in gold across the top. Afterward we took a taxi to the Eiffel Tower for a kiss at the top. <BR><BR>Just a suggestion. It worked for us!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:55 AM
enuf

no - there are no good restaurants in either city.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:12 AM
JOdy

In paris for seafood we like L' Espadon Bleu...rue des grand Augustins...It is owned by Jacques Cagna and right across the street from his Michelin starred formal restaurant.<BR><BR>Vecchio Roma ,Pza campatelli, also has wonderful seafood dishes and in warm weather you can dine outdoors in this quiet square

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 07:29 PM
Mary

Aileen, I can recommend "Souffle" in Paris,located near the American Embassy.I had the poached salmon and the souffle of course. Phenomenal! It was a quaint, classic reastaurant with an upscale atmosphere but alot of people casually dressed; two meals with wine and dessert was approx. $60USD.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:03 AM
Rex

For Rome, search "Pergola", "Volte" or "Vivendo" here on this forum.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:43 AM
KMB

My husband and I ate at La Terrazza in the Hotel Eden on our first evening in Rome. The food is fantastic, the environment romantic, the service flawless and the sweeping views over Rome absolutely beautiful. If you have time beforehand, arrive early for a drink in the roof-top garden bar for the best view in Rome. We stopped here everyday after sightseeing to recap our days activities. It made for a memorable end to each day!!!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:48 AM
sheesh

Aileen, have you done any research on your own at all???!!Do a text search first then ask some specific questions! Or is it just so easy to let others do your homework for you?<BR>Sheesh, should we tell you what hotel to stay in and which airline to use also????<BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:41 AM
yucckkk

Give me lazy people over rude people anyday. Sheesh yourself.<BR><BR>This forum exists for people who don't really know where to start, among others.<BR><BR>Moreover, Aileen has actually asked a fairly specific question, about SEAFOOD restaurants.<BR><BR>It might be worthwhile to re-post the question with "seafood restaurants in Paris and Rome" in the message header.<BR><BR>I hope that Aileen doesn't get turned off and choose never to return here because of people like "sheesh".<BR><BR>That's the kind of people this forum needs to get rid of.<BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:50 AM
xxx

I agree with Sheesh. Some people don't want to do any homework when posting on this board.<BR><BR>Questions like: "Does it rain in Paris in December" or "Is it cold in Rome in February" really tick me off.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:52 AM
John

A note to Aileen: best wishes for a fun trip and a nice dinner.<BR><BR>A note to the obnoxious know-it-alls who seem to be on this board: You think that you are so 'informed' with your provincial attitudes and your insulting little knife in the heart comments about doing 'research' before asking a question. This is a g*d**m question board for the GENERAL PUBLIC, not a board for a few people who are 'special' members of Fodors. Give me a break and get a life. Some of us only check out this board when we are planning a vacation. Those of you who need to post your snooty comments, such as RnR and sheesh, need to start up your own board, and while away your days posting there, and leave the rest of us to our questions.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Nancy

I'm often a poster of what some smart mouths would call "obvious" questions. Ignore the "I'm-so-smart, how-can-you-be-so-dumb elitests." No matter what you ask, someone will always be annoyed.<BR><BR>As for me, I loved Sebillion. It was right off the Champs Elysees, down Rue Charron Street, but is a traditional French restaurant (serving mostly a French clientele). The wait staff speak English and are polite, happy to serve, and thrilled when you comment of the high quality of the food. I had swordfish on a bed of spinach that was to-die-for. Service exemplary; cost was fair. The only place in Paris I would want to eat at again.<BR><BR>The Hotel Powers is right around the corner and is a lovely place to stay as well.<BR><BR>Best of luck. Nancy

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:01 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:58 PM
al

to the top

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:17 PM
Sherri

Dear Aileen;<BR>please ignore the rude comments made by the previous poster; it's oviously a reflection on him/her not you.<BR>You did state this was your first time in Paris and everyone needs help sometimes.<BR>Check out Les Bookinistes there were serveral positive posts several weeks ago; and I had Sea Bass to die for the last time I was there. <BR>It's not a sea food place per se ; but a good choice you can find out more by logging onto www.zagat.com and puching in the name of the restaurant; you will also find many restaurants of interest on that site.<BR>Also check out www.frommers.com for reviews and the reviws on theis site are also good.<BR>Good luck and viva la France<BR>Sherri

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:23 PM
sstone

WOW, John, lower that blood pressure! It would be a shame to have someone find you slumped over the keyboard in the morning.<BR>Aileen,<BR>Sheesh was most likely referring to the fact that there are a million questions asked like yours a day and it does help to ask a question that is a tiny bit more specific. Aside from seafood. Just about every restaurant in Paris serves seafood. Have you done any reading so far? Have you any particular restaurants in mind? Some people have posted lists of good restaurants on here, maybe I can find them and top them for you. Just keep researching and people will keep helping. <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:26 PM
ss

ok,topped two threads about paris restaurants for you

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:48 PM
Rex

Topping can be useful, but topped threads quickly get separated from the thread that mentions having topped them.<BR><BR>More useful is to cite the URLs:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1288287<BR><BR>and<BR><BR >http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1405619<BR><BR>...without comment as to whether these are two of the better threads on Paris restaurants or not.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -