Reload this Page >

Can anyone provide info on Prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 05:10 AM
Lee

Hello, Fodorite's! <BR> <BR>After being away for three weeks on business, I'm ready for a trip. My wife found what appears to be a great deal for Prague in November. <BR> <BR>We fly from Newark to Prague and spend six nights at the hotel "Olympik" in Karlin. The trip is $549.00 PP for air, transportation hotel/airport, and six nights including breakfast. <BR> <BR>I realize that the weather may not cooperate, but I am curious about the hotel and would welcome any details on Prague as it's our first time there. Have considered a day-trip at some point, also and would welcome ideas. <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Linda

We were in Prague at the beginning of November & the weather was very nice. It was in the 40's-50's & rained only one night. The Charles Bridge at night is beautiful & romantic. Take the half-day tour to find other places you want to go back & see. The Symphony/Opera House is nice & relatively inexpensive. We saw a "tourist" special with Mozart, opera, ballet, etc., which was very nice. The day-trip tours end Oct. 31st, but you can take a train or bus to see them on your own. Karlovy Vary, Cesky Krumlov, Kutna Hora are all interesting. You might try the AVE site to see if Olympik is listed (www.avetravel.cz) as they have a number of hotels & penzions with descriptions, maps & some pictures.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Christina

There are two Olympik hotels in that suburb, one a four-star (the Interhotel) and one a three-star (Olympik Garni). Prague hotels IMO are rated higher by stars than you would expect a comparable hotel to be in other parts of Europe (ie, a three star Prague hotel is sort of like a French two-star). I suppose that price is sort of cheap, but not much, as those hotels are very cheap (about US$100 per double rm for the 4-star one, and only about $65 for the 3-star one) and regular RT airfare to Prague from Newark is only about $450 in November, including taxes. If that rate is for the cheaper hotel and that price quote doesn't include taxes, etc., I don't think it's a very good deal. If you want to go to Prague in Nov, I'd go, but I wouldn't stay out in the suburbs in a hotel like that. Prague has a lot of ugly 60s communist-era cheesy hotels, of which those are two of them. As a tourist, I think you would want to be near Old Town and city center--not just by public transportation, but within walking distance. If you're the kind of person that doesn't mind what a hotel is like aesthetically or what the neighborhood is like and you are fine with getting on the metro to go anywhere, it may be okay, but I still don't think it's a good deal and that you can do much better, even on your own, in a nicer and more centrally located hotel. I think that would be fairly depressing myself, staying out there in that hotel. Also, the metro can be unsavory at night from what I've heard, at least late at night, although I had no problems on it. There are some nice Art Nouveau and Baroque style hotels in Prague within walking distance to Old Town square (e.g., the Pariz) or in the Mala Strana area across the river towards the castle that are also charming that are reasonably priced and would be much nicer places to stay and much more convenient. Overall, Prague is great and a beautiful city; the central area has been extensively renovated and is beautiful; dining is cheap as are items you buy. The central Wenceslaus Square area is not so nice, I wouldn't stay around there. Prague is great for classical music and architecture lovers, and the people are very friendly, even service people are nice to tourists. I took a day trip to Cesky Krumlov and loved that; I didn't go to the nearby castles as I had sort of seen my fill of chateaux/castles for that year. I spent a lot of time in museums and doing musical things as that is one of my main interests (visiting Dvorak's and Mozart's homes, shopping for sheet music, going to the opera and concerts, etc.). That hotel company has its own web site in case you missed it at www.olympik.cz where you can see some photos. I stayed at the Golden Tulip Maximillian in a nice secluded square not far from Old Town Square near the Jewish Quarter with several charming and good restaurants nearby (French, Italian and quality continental), very close to the metro and tram lines, etc -- that is a four-star hotel, newly renovated in an older townhouse, and its double rooms were only about $125 and it was probably the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in anywhere. It had tons of charm and character with lovely Louis Philippe furniture, duvets, a new large bathroom with tile and a great shower, a view over tile rooftops and churches, climate control, minibar, provided terry robe and slippers, etc, and a wonderful included buffet breakfast. As that was only $125 a night, I know what you can get in Prague for a good price and you don't need to stay in places like the Olympik. You can view that hotel on www.hotelbook.com

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:48 AM
Lee

Linda: I appreciate the info and I think that Cesky Krumlov will be added to our plans. <BR> <BR>Christina: I am concerned. We have booked through the Interhotel Olympik and now I am worried. My wife's mom and dad have decided to join us on our trip and I only hope that it turns out OK for everyone. My wife and I realize that we only spend so much time in the hotel and can be more flexible, but I'm not so sure about the folks. Guess we need to look into it further, but we may not be able to change it now. <BR> <BR>Thank you both for your responses.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 08:53 PM
Figaro

How I envy you your trip! In my opinion, Prague is, hands, down, the most beautiful city in Europe. Don't miss Vysehrad, the ancient fortress overlooking Prague and the Vltava River. <BR>The view from the ramparts is stupendous. Another suggestion: if you ride the subway, be sure you have a valid ticket or pass. Plainclothes inspectors may stop you and demand to see if you have one. It happened to me.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 04:29 AM
Pete

I would certainly recommend staying in the downtown area, but as your reservations are made just go with the flow. As a side note, I have seen several posters say the Wenceslaus square area is not so nice. I have no idea what they are talking about. I may be a jaded New Yorker, but the square was great for just walking about and people walking and I never once felt unsafe. <BR> <BR>I was in Prague in April and the downtown is simply marvelous for walking around in. A half day walking tour is a great idea, but I also recommend you just wander around and see what you find. <BR> <BR> Avoid tourist restaurants and eat in places that look as though they are frequented by ocals. The decor may be lacking, the food may be heavy, but the beer (try staropramen), but it is ridiculously cheap and satisfying.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Lee

Thanks, all for the usual great info. <BR> <BR>It appears that we may have one other choice on hotels, being the "Cloister Inn" which is in Old Town, "close to the Charles Bridge". We are investigating it now. Supposedly, it is a converted convent with about 16 rooms. <BR> <BR>Hopefully, this would be a better choice. <BR> <BR>Again, the assistance is much appreciated.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 10:47 AM
dahlia

Lee, I think your wife and I contacted the same tour company. Is it Summit Travel? I also placed a reservation there for Nov. and the price quoted including tax is $624. I think their hotel is Hotel Olympick (Garni) and not Interhotel Olympik (I did make my own research). I did cancel our reservation because I don't think I will be happy with Hotel Olympik plus i think 6 nights in Prague in Nov. is a bit too much. I am now looking into getting a Prague/Vienna tour with Paul Laifer but have not made the decision yet. IMO, Cloister Inn is a better hotel but if you will just stay in Prague you might just do independent travelling as against using a tour company. Good luck!

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 08:21 AM
Lee

Dahlia: Yes, you are right, it was Summit Travel. <BR> <BR>We opted for the Cloister Inn and the Package is $629.00 with an additional $82.00 R/T air from Buffalo as we live in Erie, PA. It looks like we are going to do it. <BR> <BR>Thanks again for your responses.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 05:53 PM
Linda

Lee, if you look at AVE's site at www.avetravel.cz, you will find a description and picture of the Cloister Inn.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 06:57 PM
Brad

I cannot emphasize enough the historical beauty of Prague. Just came back from a visit there less than a month back. Extracts from my journal follows: <BR>"Boarded the bus for our city tour. Prague was built on seven hills and served as a former capital of the roman Empire. This morning we toured the impressive Hradcany Castle and the old Royal Palace, former residence of Bohemian kings. Also saw the 14th Century Charles Bridge and Old Town. Plan to return at night to see both when they are all lite up. Our tour was timed to correspond with the Astrological Clock at noon where 14th Century figures come out of the two windows located just above the clock. Huge crowd for this famous event, but WELL WORTH IT.. We walked around the square and then we went for a riverboat cruise and buffet - very nice. Got to see the city from the boat. In early evening we took the local transportation (subway) back to the Town Square. Windowed shopped, had a bowl of soup, garlic & goulash. Then walked to St. Charles Bridge to see it at night with its lights. Came back and listened to a band in the lobby of the hotel. Very Good band." Fabulous City. Happy Traveling.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 10:30 AM
karen

Lee, I too will be doing the same travel Summit Travel package and upgrading to the Cloister Inn. Please write about your trip, the accommodations, dining tips, what was closed for winter that your regret missing, and what you did to fill the week after the first three days of strolling through Old Town. Thanks.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 10:30 PM
t

t