Search

camping by van in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camping by van in Europe

Hi folks,

DH and I are planning a trip to Europe for two months next year. Our thought was how great it would be to travel by camper. Our itinerary is not set in stone but we have Spain,Portugal,France,Italy and Croatia as possibilities. This would be a real departure from how we normally travel - renting a car and staying in b&b's/small hotels - but the idea of having our own travelling home for that time appeals to us. Would love to hear from anyone who has travelled by camper in any or some of these places as to their experiences - good or bad. Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Shamelessly topping
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 09:25 AM

I've stayed in zillions of camps in Europe, including many in France and Italy, Germany, Belgium, UK, Netherlands and love the campgrounds - like moving into a real European neighborhood - a pan-European neighborhood with folks from many countries - especially in recent years from Eastern Europe as they have to economize more than others.
There are billions of camps everywhere - even right in the heart of Paris, Florence and other mega tourist towns.
If you have questions about camping i perhaps can try to answer them and campgrounds - as for van camping no - i've only done tent camping with cars and lots by bicycle.
Camping is especially nice for families as lots of kids to play with, play equipment and most have swimming pools.
$6-7 gallon a gas could make a wide ranging van trip fairly expensive however - and camp fees are not always that cheap either.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalQ for your response. I was happy to hear about campgrounds in some of the cities. That was one concern in terms of how far we might have to camp from city centres. We are also planning on taking bikes. After I topped my thread, I came across a book on camping in Europe which should answer specific questions on locations. Your point about the cost of gas is a good one - although we would either be renting a van and camping or a car and staying at B&B's/hotels. Did the car/tent trip on our first visit 25 years ago - think we need more creature comforts now!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:41 PM

My husband and I enjoyed a couple of weeks in Germany, Austria and Italy in a small motorhome a couple of years ago.We own a RV for travelling in North America so it was not a stretch for us to spend part of a Europe vaction in a motorhome. It was a diesel- small unit-small engine etc so the cost of the fuel was not that much more expensive than renting a gasoline car. Perhaps 35 m.p.g. There were many pros; all the same ones that we like about this mode of travel at home. There were some cons; maneuerability and parking, small living space, a bit more stuff to pack and take from home. But we were very glad we did it. Our next trip to Europe found us choosing hotels/B&Bs, but I expect we will do the motorhome again as well. I highly reccomend the book, Travelers Guide to European Camping by Mike and Teri Church. They list campgrounds in many countries and without exception we wee very pleased with every one that we stayed in.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

DeeW, thanks so much for the feedback and the book recommendation. There is another book I am trying to get my hands on "Europe by Van and Motorhome" by David Shore and Patty Campbell that has been highly recommended. If you have already done this type of trip it might not be as helpful as it would be for us newbies. Just wondering who you ended up renting your camper from - there are so many companies but from what I understand rates seem to be the best in Germany. Thanks again for your response.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:26 PM

We rented in Germany from a snall family owned business that we found online. We were very pleased with the service and the unit and would rent from them again. The rates were somewhat better than the bigger companies with multiple locations. In fact the price we paid for the motorhome was the same price that the bigger company wanted for a VW van. We wanted the convenience of the bathroom afforded by the motorhome, as well as the extra space. Several times in campgrounds we noticed folks who had to stash much of their "stuff" under the their VW van at night, presumably to make room to sleep, and we were always glad to have a bit more room. I also purchased the "Europe by Van and Motorhome" book and since we are already RV travellers I did not find it to be that helpful, but as you said, for newbies it might be more helpful. What is your motivation to travel this way? I never did a formal cost comparison but I expect that it it not a great economic benefit since it is more costly to rent a van or morohome than a car and campgounds often were 25 or 30 euros a night. We usually had breakfast and lunch at/ or packed from the motorhome and that is a savings. It is just a way we like to travel. Independent, not living out of a suitcase, stopping to picnic with a frig full of provisions, etc.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

DeeW, I would love to get the name of the company if you remember it. I have been in touch with BW out of Amsterdam and AutoEurope out of Germany. Our motivation is mainly being driven by our desire to travel by the "seat of our pants" for a change as I usually plan the heck out of a holiday. This time we think it would be nice to have an idea of where we want to go but not be restricted too much by when we have to be there. I also like the idea of not having to pack/unpack so much along the way.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:02 PM

I thought I had posted a second message this afternoon with a web address for the motorhome company. Not sure if I messed up or if it got deleted! I will try again.
http://www.rv-rental-germany.com
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:01 AM

An alternative to Van Camping and the entailing high petrol costs is to use camps like EuroCamps that rent out tents - not little tents but permanent tents equipped with luxuries.
Camping trips like Contiki have such installations in many big city camps and these camps also may rent out chalets or permanent tents to others. The Touring Club de France camp at Joinville-le-Pont in Paris has such chalets to rent out.
You get a economic car to drive between camps - and don't have to deal with navigating all too narrow city streets with a large RV.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks DeeW for the address which I'll check out. PalQ, appreciate the info. on the EuroCamps also - more food for thought!