Search

Camogli in the Italian Riviera

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:28 AM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camogli in the Italian Riviera

How is this town in terms of things to do, length of stay advised, etc. and how close is it to Cinque Terre?
I have the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Porotfino Kulm or the Hotel cenobio dei Dogi--can anyone recommend?
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Camogli is about an hour's train ride from Monterosso. And it's the local train that makes many short stops .... when I looked on train schedule (www.trenitalia.com), it's 9 stops before you get to Monterosso.

Here's a couple threads from last year that may be of help to you ...

Hotel Continental or Cenobio dei Dogi
-- http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34666513

Riviera towns to Stay? Camogli, Levanto, Manarola, Moneglia? Help!
-- http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34625961
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:37 AM

JES,

We have stayed at Cenobio several times...it is a very nice hotel with a wonderful view of the Golfo Paradiso,especially at sunset...Camogli is very small and lovely......we spend most of our time there strolling by the sea...if there is much else to do, we haven't discovered it yet....
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:12 PM

We have also stayed at the Cennobio dei Dogi in Camogli and love both it and the town of Camogli. I've heard Camogli referred to as the Poor man's Portofino. We actually like it better. Try to get a room with a view of the pool and the sea beyond. it's wonderful. So is the walk along the harbor with the fishing boats and the cats. It's a place to BE more than a place to sightsee. There are two harbors, a fishing harbor and a more general harbor. Both are picturesque. You can take a boat from Camogli to San Fructossa monastery and on to Portofino. You can also explore Santa Margherita Ligure, Rapallo and Sestri Levante with a car from Camogli, even go into Genoa if you're so inclined. We're very happy there for 3 days at a time. I do, however, think you'd be better off approaching Cinque Terre from Portovenere than from Camogli.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:54 PM

JES

You say you have "the opportunity to stay" at the Camolgi hotels. I'm wondering if that means a special deal, or gift stay, or if you just mean there is availability at those hotels.

If it is the latter case, I urge you to consider staying in Santa Margharita Ligure, very nearby, with a much larger choice of dining, more to do, and more boat connections to Camogli, Rapallo, Portofino, San Fruttuoso and more.

And if you are looking at upmarket hotels, SML has a large choice.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 02:06 PM
JES
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendations. Tuscanlife, I have a travel barter program at work so if I want a nicer hotel at a discount, I am limited but I'm trying to figure out if these are worth staying at or if I should just go on my own.