Camera question about new Canons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching the camera forums regarding some new models of compact digitals. So I thought I'd ask this group your opinion since you travel and I'm sure take pictures along the way. I'm interested in your opinions about what works for you travel wise.

I'm going to Italy in a few weeks and I'm still shopping for a camera (eek!). I'm looking at the Canon SD750 and the SD800. The Sd750 is quite small with no viewfinder but 3" LCD. The SD800 is a little larger with viewfinder, smaller LCD, Image stabilizer and better zoom.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM

We love our 800 is. But we both agree we don't need the viewfinder.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:58 PM

The SD800 is amazing! Its wider angle and the image stabilization far outweigh the 750's slightly bigger LCD screen.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM

tam - I'm piggybacking on your post! I'm also looking at the 800, but I'm wondering what its video/audio quality is like. I looked at CNET, but couldn't find anything specific about video.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 08:06 PM
MaureenB

I'm old school-- definitely have to use the view-finder. Especially in the daylight. Love my Canon A65, with its swivel LCD screen. And my daughter loves her Canon Elph.
>-

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 08:07 PM

video quality is excellent. you can zoom and everything.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM

Two of the SD800 features are useful.

The viewfinder: when it is so bright and cannot see the LCD screen.

The wide angle for taking when you cannot stand back far from the object -- such as a building tucked in a small square.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:29 AM

I have the SD600, so a model or 2 below what you are looking at. Most of the time, the LCD screen is fine - very clear, easy to see. In bright light though, the view finder does come in handy. It has the wideangle setting as well, which I really like.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM

The SD800IS (aka IXUS 850IS in other parts of the world) is the only camera in Canon's current Powershot SD line that has the wide-angle lens that goes to a 35mm equivalent of <b>28mm</b>. All the others only go as wide as <b>35mm</b> equivalent.

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:56 AM

I just purchased the Cannon SD800IS and have shot about 300 test photos so far.This is my third compact digital camera and so far it is the best of them.I have been a big fan of the 28mm equivalent lens since my film days as it allows for better framing of your subject.
The other big plus for this camera is its low ambient light shotting quality.That is there is very little noise to photos shot, in say the interior of a church,without a flash being used.
Here is a link with some of my test shots I took the other day around my home town.

http://tinyurl.com/2fyoll
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

I appreciated everyones responses. Believe it or not, I am still debating on which camera to buy. I was about to take back the unopened SD750 I have (before the 14 days are up) and get the SD800. Then people started saying how you have to take a much more substantial camera to Italy or you'll regret it. The Canon S3 is now in the mix of choices. Super camera yes, but do you just get tired of carrying and looking out for a larger camera? I have no doubt the pics would be fabulous..... Oh, and then there's the G7. If you just look at $$, you get much more for the money in a larger model. Help. If I read one more camera review....
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:49 AM
ira

Hi TT,

I love my S3 IS.

I got a little camera pouch for it, and I sling it over my chest.

I don't find it to be too large.

I have some photos at http://tinyurl.com/ybm32p
taken in ambient light on &quot;Auto&quot; without a tripod.

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I bought the Canon SD600 in December 2006 and took it with me to France in March 2007. I took 300+ photos during the two weeks I was there, never recharged the battery, and couldn't be happier with the camera.
Photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wellvis
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:58 PM
MaureenB

I don't think you can go wrong with just about any Canon digital camera. They all take beautiful photos. It's easy to get carried away and pay for features you really won't use, and spend much more than you need to, also. To answer the size question: it definitely matters-- when you're walking all over Italy you'd be happy carrying a smaller sized camera.
&gt;-

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM

That's another great reason why I love my Canon SD600. It fits in the front pocket of my jeans and doesn't make me look (more) like a tourist. It has a very fast response from the time you turn it on to the time you first take a photo, so you don't feel like you're waiting for it.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:56 PM

One of the features that makes the SD800IS a much better camera then the SD750 is the image stabilization feature. This alone makes the camera worth having. As far as comparisons to other Canon cameras, for me, when traveling, it always comes down to weight. If the additional weight of the the other Canon models doesn't bother you, then you can certainly get all the features you want in one of those cameras.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Image Stab. is the way to go. All my recent cameras have it. Allows much lower light pictures without flash. Important in museums. 3 inch screens are more likely to break, but are certainly nice otherwise. If it breaks, the only way to use the camera is with the view finder (though it's still hard to change settings). I speak from experience here - first day of a trip to the Alps. Knowing nothing else, I'd go with the 800 (but the larger zoom and wider angle is a huge plus too!)
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:14 PM

I have the SD700IS. Definitely love it. Get the image stabilization. It is so great to never ever have a blurry picture anymore (unless it is really dark!).

I would get the SD800 if I were you. Are you REALLY going to use those extra features? Or are you going to miss out on photos because you didn't drag the bigger camera around with you? After 10 days in Spain with it, I loved just slipping it in and out of my pocket.

The most important thing to do is to read your manual and take it with you. Traveling involves so many different scenarios. I was using no flash, high ISO in churches. I was using the flash mode for people and backgrounds at night. I've used extended time shutter at waterfalls, etc.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:31 AM

I'm not familiar with the canon camera's mentioned, but rkkwan's point about the 28mm is a good one. Particularly if used inside churches etc. I'm not suggesting the other camera's aren't any good,but I would go for the camera with 28 mm at the wide end and image stabilisation.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:12 AM

Like Ira, I too love my Canon S3 IS... And no, I don't find it too big...

BTW, nice shots Ira.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -