Camera kit and backpacks

Search

Camera kit and backpacks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera kit and backpacks

I plan to carry my camera gear (DSLR + 3 lenses) for my trip to Europe - I carry them in a backpack specially for camera gear only.

How are the museums in Paris with backpacks? Any exceptions if they see its just camera gear?
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Its the size of a regular backpack and cannot be crumpled - thanks to the lens inside.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:48 AM

Museums often will not admit you with backpacks. Some of them have a place for you to check backpacks, others don't. Exceptions are not made for camera gear; the policy applies to the type of garment (backpack), irrespective of contents.

Why do you need three lenses?
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Why three - that;s the story with most photographers who take themselves too seriously

Actually, unless I plan a visit to a museum separately and then a trip back to the hotel, I will need the diff. types of lenses. Wide angle vs telezoon vs low light etc.

But looks like choosing one and doing a museum visit seperately may be the only option
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:47 AM

Take your camera and a lens and check the backpack.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:13 AM

And be prepared for possible photography restrictions or fees.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 04:41 AM

I carry my camera equipment in a backpack now when I travel (SLR), but not only do I find it hot to wear all the time, but I also worry about museums. Most of the time when I go out, I use something smaller and take what I need for the day based on the day's plans. I fully understand about the lenses. I rarely go out with less than 3. Unless you have one of the bigger telephoto lenses, there are much smaller bags you can use pretty easily. I can get a camera body and three lenses (unless using my largest zoom) in one of the holster-style bags that I wear over my shoulder. I just started shooting a lot of digital, and cards take up a lot less space than film. However, I often will put a few rolls in my pocket if no room in the bag. I find an accessory flash the one thing I usually leave behind when going out, since I don't need it that much outside (the popup flash is good for fill), and I prefer to use the room for another lens.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:25 AM

I carry a bag that is more of a large purse/backpack than a true backpack and I have found most museums just tell me to take it off my back and carry it on one shoulder. I've never had to check it if I'm willing to do that. The dimensions of my bag are about 9x15x5 inches. My camera and extra lens are in soft fabric cases rather than hard sided ones so take up less space (but of course offer less protection).
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
kram, when you choose to do museum visits separately... where are you going to store your large and I assume expensive camera equipment safely? just a thought.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 08:18 AM

I have left expensive camera equipment in a museum storage (when photography was not allowed) and it has been safe.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Suze, an important reason why I would prefer to keep the equipment with me. But I would rather leave the lenses in the hotel room than having to hand it over in a crowded line to the museum storage.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was thinking you might be able to check them into the hotel safe or something rather than leave them in your hotel room.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Good point. Normally, I put such valuables into my bigger box and use the combination lock. Yes, if the box gets stolen, its a much bigger problem anywayz

The hotel safe may be a better way out....