Camden or Spitafields Market ?

Mar 27th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Joy

Camden or Spitafields Market ?

We'll be in London over Easter Sunday and would like to spend some time during the afternoon at a market. Any ideas out there which would be better? We have a couple of teen girls with us. Thanks

Mar 27th, 2002, 03:47 PM
London Trivia

Spitafields market--- the old site of a medieval hospital and cemetery (so the name spitafield), the neighborhood still retains a lot of Victorian Flair. One of Jack the Ripper's victims was found on this field.

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:30 PM
sam

Hi Joy,
The Camden markets are much better because there are several and some of them are open all week. There's Camden Town, Camden Passage, Camden Locke, and more. Spitalfields is really only good if you're looking for very specific things. It's really diverse, but too specific. For example, one of the biggest adult bookstores is prominently located on a main thoroughfare, but across the street is a small shop that sells nothing but vintage wedding gowns. It's really bizarre. And Spitalfields only has an open market a couple times a week and most vendors are selling antiques, mainly furniture. If you're looking for antique furniture it's an okay place, but Portobello Rd. is better. During the week the only street vendors Spitalfields have are mainly selling flowers and produce.
Some of the Camden markets are only open on the weekends, but Camden Passage is open all week (the vendors do vary from day to day). I was there just last week and bought the coolest leathers. There is also a great shop on the streetcorner opposite the Camden Town tube entrance. The name is Off The Wall Records and they have a fantastic selection of used vinyl, cds, 8-tracks, and books. I found a first edition Monica's Story, signed by Monica Lewinsky for $100. (This same book is on sale at a local shop in my town for $250. Wow!) I also purchased 8-tracks by Dolly Parton, Engelbert Humpterdink, Kenny Rogers, Kiss, the Beach Boys, and Foghat. (I collect old 8-tracks.)
You didn't ask, but I really recommend Portobello Rd. on Sundays. The vendors are varied and there's a lot of them. You can get there easily by tube; get off at the Notting Hill gate. Portobello has everything from produce and flowers to antiques (furniture, silver, linens, clothing, etc.) to lava lamps, golf clubs, and playing cards. If you go make sure you check out the shop on the corner of Bayswater and Portobello Rd. It's called Beginnings and it's so interesting. The owner told me he opened the store only selling religious items-Bibles, rosaries, crucifixes, crosses, etc. Then he went through this whole Christian Science thing and then he finally latched onto Darwinism. So now he sells all kinds of things pertaining to all theories of the origin of man-everything from globes, Bibles, science texts, Ancient Chinese scripts, Egyptian docs, movies about origins, extra-terrestrial theory, etc. It really is worth the effort, even if you're not into these types of things. He's just a really interesting man and the shop is decorated from floor to ceiling with postcards from his clients. He gives everyone who enters a self addressed, postage paid postcard to send him. The cards are random, that's what makes it so interesting. If you go, his name is Stu (Stewart); tell him Sam sent you and he might give you a discount or show you his private collection.
And don't forget, there are other markets too. For example, there are markets in Carnaby St., Covent Gardens (specifically the Seven Dials), and Petticoat Lane (only on Sundays, I think, and pretty small, but still a nice place to browse).
Happy Easter,
Sam

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:31 PM
sam

Hi Joy,
The Camden markets are much better because there are several and some of them are open all week. There's Camden Town, Camden Passage, Camden Locke, and more. Spitalfields is really only good if you're looking for very specific things. It's really diverse, but too specific. For example, one of the biggest adult bookstores is prominently located on a main thoroughfare, but across the street is a small shop that sells nothing but vintage wedding gowns. It's really bizarre. And Spitalfields only has an open market a couple times a week and most vendors are selling antiques, mainly furniture. If you're looking for antique furniture it's an okay place, but Portobello Rd. is better. During the week the only street vendors Spitalfields have are mainly selling flowers and produce.
Some of the Camden markets are only open on the weekends, but Camden Passage is open all week (the vendors do vary from day to day). I was there just last week and bought the coolest leathers. There is also a great shop on the streetcorner opposite the Camden Town tube entrance. The name is Off The Wall Records and they have a fantastic selection of used vinyl, cds, 8-tracks, and books. I found a first edition Monica's Story, signed by Monica Lewinsky for $100. (This same book is on sale at a local shop in my town for $250. Wow!) I also purchased 8-tracks by Dolly Parton, Engelbert Humpterdink, Kenny Rogers, Kiss, the Beach Boys, and Foghat. (I collect old 8-tracks.)
You didn't ask, but I really recommend Portobello Rd. on Sundays. The vendors are varied and there's a lot of them. You can get there easily by tube; get off at the Notting Hill gate. Portobello has everything from produce and flowers to antiques (furniture, silver, linens, clothing, etc.) to lava lamps, golf clubs, and playing cards. If you go make sure you check out the shop on the corner of Bayswater and Portobello Rd. It's called Beginnings and it's so interesting. The owner told me he opened the store only selling religious items-Bibles, rosaries, crucifixes, crosses, etc. Then he went through this whole Christian Science thing and then he finally latched onto Darwinism. So now he sells all kinds of things pertaining to all theories of the origin of man-everything from globes, Bibles, science texts, Ancient Chinese scripts, Egyptian docs, movies about origins, extra-terrestrial theory, etc. It really is worth the effort, even if you're not into these types of things. He's just a really interesting man and the shop is decorated from floor to ceiling with postcards from his clients. He gives everyone who enters a self addressed, postage paid postcard to send him. The cards are random, that's what makes it so interesting. If you go, his name is Stu (Stewart); tell him Sam sent you and he might give you a discount or show you his private collection.
And don't forget, there are other markets too. For example, there are markets in Carnaby St., Covent Gardens (specifically the Seven Dials), and Petticoat Lane (only on Sundays, I think, and pretty small, but still a nice place to browse).
Happy Easter,
Sam

Mar 31st, 2002, 04:11 PM
marc

If I had to pick one it would Camden, but Spitafields is prettier. If you're going for the merchandise go to Camden, if you're going for the scenery, go to Spitafields. And by the way Sam, you spelled Spitafields wrong repeatedly and you posted twice. I do agree about Portobello. There are some wacky stores down that strip.
marc

Nov 19th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Maira

ttt for hanskday

Nov 20th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Interesting post above - I always thought the spelling was SpitaLfields too?
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:09 AM

Yes, you and sam are right about the spelling and marc is wrong.