Reload this Page >

Camden or Portobello Market on Sunday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Pam

We are staying at the Ramada Jarvis Hyde Park on Bayswater Road in June. Which of these markets is closest to our hotel? How would you recommend getting from the hotel to said market? Which would you recommend for a Sunday afternoon? Thanks in advance!!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Diane

You can take the tube -- but prepare for a real CRUSH of a crowd if you visit Portobello Market (actually I think we were there on a Saturday, so that may have had something to do with the crowd).

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Sue

I don't think there is a market on Portobello on Sun.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Pam

Is Camden open on Sunday? Is it far from the Ramada at Hyde Park?

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 04:13 PM
david west

Yes Camden is open on a Sunday, its the main day. However I should warn you that it is inconceivably busy, not with antique shoppers but with every alt.teen culture kid in the world trying to buy identical black clothing to prove that they are individuals. <BR><BR>If you want antiques go to Portobello Rd. If you want a day with the counter culture...Camden.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Nikolas

Portobello on a Saturday.....we took a black cab to get there and one back. It was worth the cost. Very crowded...expensive also but fun.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Andy

If you do Portobello, get there very early---the antique dealers that are buying get there at 5am-- if you hit if in the afternoon , you will pay way more because stuff purchased in the am is REsold at higher prices later on in the day---<BR><BR>Try to get there around 8am

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Pam

Is Portobello open on Sunday?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:15 AM
LivinginLondon

The Portobello Market is on Saturdays from about 10 am and on. There are some stores along Portobello Road that are open on Sundays, but the big market is on Saturdays. From the Ramada on Bayswater, you can take the Central Line to Notting Hill Gate or, if the weather's nice, just walk down Bayswater Road towards Notting Hill.<BR> <BR>Camden Market is open on Sundays, but, there are fewer antiques, very little fresh foods and more clothing and furniture. The quickest way from the Ramada would be via tube - Northern Line, Camden Town stop.<BR><BR>My recommendation on Sunday would be the artists booths along Bayswater Road. It's basically right across the street from your hotel. You can stroll east along Bayswater, keep walking through the Park to Speakers Corner, walk down Oxford Street, turn right on Regent Street, right on Piccadilly - Oxford and Regent Street are a shopper's heaven (but mostly retail shops).<BR><BR>Hope this helps!