Reload this Page >

Camcorder -- yay or nay

Search

Camcorder -- yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Jennifer

Camcorder -- yay or nay

We all have been around rude camcorder operators who think because they have camcorders in their hands, they are allowed to block the view of all others. <BR><BR>However, there are some people who are not abusive or rude!<BR><BR>My question: I'll be in Paris in 10 days with two kids, age 9 and 12. I've never taken a camcorder on vacation before, although I've owned one for several years.<BR><BR>Has anyone ever taken a camcorder on a European vacation and been sorry that they did?<BR><BR>I'm contemplating taking ours, but I haven't made up my mind.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:18 PM
jane

Jennifer, take that camcorder out with you on a day walking trip. Pack along anything else you think you might take with you on a Paris day out (guidebook, sweater, whatever.) <BR>At the end of the day, ask yourself if the camcorder seems to weigh more than when you started out.<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:56 PM
orangesun

I have several video camera stories I could share. I own a Sony Digital 8 that renders excellent videos and excellent copies on to the VHS format.<BR><BR>I try not to be rude when shooting. I try and make sure that I do not include strangers in the videos. That is hard to do though since people will actually walk in front of your camera at the worst possible times. Then some people act rather indignant that you had the camera pointed in their direction, even though they walked into your view.<BR><BR>But all of that aside. The video cam is an excellent way to capture your holiday for future enjoyment. That doesn't mean that the video camera should replace a good still SLR 35 MM camera. If you have room for both formats, by all means take both.<BR><BR>I do not work for Sony video products, but I can highly recommend their video cameras.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Paige

In my opinion, I would leave the video camera at home, unless it is extremely compact, but I prefer still photographs that I can put in an album or frame as a remembrance. How often do you think you will watch the videotape after you return home?<BR><BR>A number of years ago, we were at the beach having a wonderful vacation and as we were playing in the pool with our (then) little girls, there were several guys who were standing in the shallow end videotaping their kids playing in the water and then screaming at them for splashing or not "performing" as they were directed. My husband and I both wanted to take the cameras out of the men's hands and tell them to actually go play with their kids. <BR><BR>Just my two cents.<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:14 PM
TheTraveler

Hi Jennifer, I am a photo nut and the only one in my family who takes them. As a result, I have been on many vacations lugging along my video camera as well as my 35mm! Since I am the only who takes the photos, I haul them both along (with hubby's help), but I am the only one filming....I take out the 35mm and shoot...put it back in the bag and take out the video camera and shoot....etc....etc....etc. This is very tiring, but so worth it long after you arrive home. No, I don't watch the video film as much...but years later it is wonderful to have.<BR><BR>We are going to Europe with another couple in June. I am taking the 35mm photos, and he is taking the videos..This will be a relief for me! I say take the cameras, and maybe there is someone who can help you out.<BR>The Traveler

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Mom

Hi! First...I had to laugh at Traveler. My husband takes both along to. Everywhere we go, I have to hold one, while he uses the other. But we come home with wonderful momentos.<BR><BR>Video really captures the moment. Since it is audio,too, you capture reactions. This is especially precious with children. I would definitely take it.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Everyone is different about this, but what I found out for myself personally is that I could either be traveling and enjoying myself -- or I could be shooting video. I simply can't do both at the same time and I don't even like having someone else in my immediate group shooting it because it can often change the reality of what is going on. I find that it removes the focus from the immediate experience and takes it to one of documenting it. For that reason, I prefer to take some still photos as the opportunities present themselves. On some trips I've taken many and others I've taken none at all. Others view this differently and that is their choice.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:56 PM
scott

Please take this advice from a 20-year-plus tv news veteran. I have avoided taking my camcorder on vacation 9 out of 10 times so I could stay away from a "busman's holiday". I decided to break the rule when we took our kids to Paris and London in '99, and I will never regret it. There are moments you will capture on tape to which still photos will not do justice. The video I have of my then 7-yr old daughter sampling her first crepe au chocolat is simply priceless. <BR>You don't have to roll on everything. Pick out the sites and moments that are most awe inspiring. Catch your family in candid moments and be aware of those around you. Keep your shots to about 20 seconds or so and you will come home with fantastic memories without infringing on the good times of your fellow tourists.<BR>Make sure you bring extra tape, a spare battery and the proper electrical adapters for your charger.<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:58 PM
orangesun

Most of the newer video cams of today are small enough to place in your hand. I don't understand those people that clam that the video cam is too heavy to lug around. I've taken mine on some pretty neat hikes in the Swiss alps over the years.<BR><BR>Scott is right on the mark about packing the battery chargers and the voltage converters to keep your video cam running throuhout the entire holiday.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:28 PM
r

While we are on the subject of recording our travels: does anyone have a recommendation for a small--easy to throw in the day pack-- digital camera; that takes good photos. I'm looking to buy one before my trip in April and don't want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars. Anyone? <BR><BR>p.s. forgive my ignorance but digital does mean that you can hook it up to the computer and print out the pictures or send them by email-- correct? sorry I'm so duh.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Jennifer

I really, really appreciate the wonderful replies! I have a feeling that if I don't take it, I will regret it. And if I do, I won't use it!<BR><BR>Thus, what I think I might do is take it, but only use it a few times. If I get tired of it, I have an apartment very close so I can always return it.<BR><BR>Again, thank you very much! I'm amazed at the wealth of information here.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Marc David Miller

R, there are many, many small digital cameras--take a look at<BR><BR>www.dpreview.com<BR><BR>for a (perhaps overly) comprehensive set of specs. I just bought the Nikon CoolPix 5000, but I think a "fun" introductory digicam is the Canon S110 Digital Elph--yes, the APS Elph that everyone loves has been reborn as a neat little 2mp digital. Very small, sturdy camera

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:49 PM
JB

Jennifer - Here's an idea of what my friends and I have done in the past: We have brought along the video camera, but usually only use it at the end of the day. We find a picturesque spot to have a beer and relax, then we turn on the video camera (we have one of those that is like a tv, so you can set it up on its own - it doesn't have to have somebody "operating" it) and then we recount the high points of the day. We've got some great footage this way!<BR><BR>This way, we don't pack it around all day and spend our time videotaping rather than actually experiencing our adventures fully, getting in other people's way and inadvertently either (a) bothering them, (b) taping them! (c) bothering our own companions, or (d) missing out on an experience because we were too busy taping it. We then have our memories "captured" for future reference with a great backdrop (have done it from our hotel deck over the rooftops of Rome, in an Athenian hotel room, in a London pub, etc.) and really, the tape of my friends and I having a great, relaxing and fun time on tape means more to me than "here's the Colosseum" or "here's the forum". You can buy a postcard for that, or even a premade video if you'd like. <BR><BR>Anyway, that's my two cents, but I realize "to each his own", so good luck with whatever you choose!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Jennifer

To r: yes, a digital camera doesn't use film. It's just like a video camera except that it takes one shot at a time! You can then upload them onto your computer. What's nice is that you can instantly check your shot. If you don't like it, take it again! No film wasted.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:07 PM
orangesun

I have taken my video cam on several trips to Switzerland and Germany. What I have done in past trips is to take the video cam on a hike. Walk awhile on some tremendously excellent trail, then stop to shot some video once I see some a.. kickin' scenes. Trouble is though, I found myself stopping quite often to shoot videos of the gret views. I dunno, I just like the video aspect of being able to capture sight and sound.<BR><BR>Yanno, once when I went to one of those outdoor folklore and cheese festivals in Magisalps in the Meirigen area, I got the video cam out and captured some great video and some great sounds to boot.<BR><BR>Take it along anyway. I think its a great way t capture great memories. Then you can bore the hell out of your realtives with video of your trip. LOL<BR>(insert Don Knotts as Barney Fife) <BR><BR>Noooowww here we have video of us at the Lovre. Noooowww here at the Lovre we have two basic rules.....<BR><BR>Seriously though, the video cam is a wonderful way for you and your family to preserve your vacation for as long as you live.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:07 PM
MamaMia

Camcorders are grotesque. You are either there to experience the moment or you are there to capture it on some medium like film that will preserve it for you (how about experiencing it, instead?)...right?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:04 PM
topping

topping

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 06:02 AM
nay

NAY

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 09:16 AM
yah

yah

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Bob

I used to take a video to Europe but no longer do. I found out that I was the designated photo man and returned from Europe after ten days and the video was as if I was not there. I lugged and filed the others and they ended up with a great movie. <BR><BR>If you do take a video camera switch off each day with another person in using the camera. <BR><BR>Another thing is that too many people get wrapped up in taking the video and actually miss the "real" thing. I watched a girl last year walk through the entire Versailles tour with a video to her head. Great video, boring probably, but she never saw the real Versailles as she was too busy filming a future memory. <BR><BR>Also take some time and edit your video. I used to add sound background with music and eliminate the wind noise and it really makes a difference. No one wants to watch an unedited film and you will not want to either. <BR><BR>Now I simply take a small camera and enjoy the trip without all the pressure of capturing a movie for all times. Bottom line: Leave the thing at home. You ain't gonna watch the movie anyway and no matter how small the camera is you will have a hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -