Reload this Page >

Calling Eastern Europe Travelers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 09:15 AM
Bob

I'm asking for top 4 off-the-beaten-path destinations in eastern europe, ala Cinque Terre, Cesky Krumlov, Ronda... <BR> <BR>I'll be visiting Poland, Austria, Hungary, Romania, perhaps Lithuania in a few weeks. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your insight.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 12:46 PM
mwg

Although it really is not off the beaten track, I would like to put in my 2 cents for Krakow, the only major Polish city not destroyed in the second world war. The Wawel Castle is interesting. the main square is one of the most beautiful and impressive in Europe. The art mussum has a Leonardo Da Vinci portrait of The Lady With An Ermine (although recently the attribution has been questioned).<BR>Another interesting place is Bukovina in Romania and especially the area of the painted monasteries, best seen with Suceava as a base. They are a series of very old churches with frescoes on the exterior walls to impres and teach the unlettered about the glories of God, etc. Some are still in functioning monasteries or convents and some sit alone. In most cases, the side that receives the wind will have damaged frescoes but the other sides will be pristine.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 04:29 PM
Marija

In Lithuania make sure to visit Gedimino pilis (the castle of Gediminas) in Vilnius, Traku pilis (a castle outside of Vilnius in Trakai), Rumsiskes, an ethnic outdoor museum on the way to Kaunas from Vilnius, as well as Nida and Palanga, resorts on the Baltic sea. In Palanga there's a museum of amber and of devil carvings. In Kaunas visit the museum of Ciurlionis, a noteworthy Lithuanian painter and composer.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 06:11 PM
Peter

Poland - lets start south of Poland... <BR>Western-South Bolkow with its nice castle (and Swiny near by), Ksiaz and its beautiful castle and world famus royal horse stables, Karpacz, Szklarska Poreba, Polanica, Kudowa Zdroj, stolowe mtns. Center South I second Krakow and more south Zakopane and Tatry Mtns (tak a river trip on Dunajec river, to East South Bieszczady mtns. Lancut (with its beautiful palace. More to north Old City of Torun Spa city of Ciechocinek, castle in Golub-Dobrzyn lakes of Mazury region (north east) - here in this region if you go all the way by the russian border you will find many palaces, and mensions, which are not occupied since WW II - be careful walking around since many had underground tunnels which do calapse - unfortunatly many of those places can only be reached by car - Huge Castle in Malbork, Old City of Gdansk, Sopot <BR>for some quite baltic beaches north of Koszalin Mielno & Sarbinowo... Be more specific on your interests since this list is very long...

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 01:09 PM
Pete

1) Krakow---a must! <BR>2) Zakopane-beautiful sights <BR>3) Vilnius <BR>4) Cesky Krumlov (agreed, it is awesome) <BR> <BR>My 2 cents