calling card/U.K.

Search

calling card/U.K.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
calling card/U.K.

I bought a calling card (one that could be used in the U.K.) for my most recent visit to the U.K., and it didn't work. The 800 access number (which was for the U.K.) simply connected me with an operator who could do credit card calls and collect calls. He didn't know anything about prepaid calls.

Why did this happen? And what can I do to prevent it happening again?

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
w/o knowing what card you got it is pretty difficult to know much.

Whenever I've had a calling card there was a PIN number on it that was used as the "authorization"
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:58 AM

did you buy the card in the States or in the UK??

If I remember - my UK-based calling cards have always had a series of access numbers (local access, Freephone, USA access, etc). After dialing the correct access number, I entered the card's PIN # and then dialed the phone number I wanted.

Never talked to a person.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

I bought it in the U.S., and it specifically advertised calls to and from the U.K. I called their customer service number before I left home, and received an 800 number to call when I reached the U.K. Called it, and was told it was an access number for collect and credit card calls. Phooey. It was a Kroger card, bought at Fred Meyer.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Not sure - but as I understand it US 800 numbers cannot be accessed from the UK. That is one reason we always advise folks to get a direct or collect call number for their banks and credit cards -- since the 800 numbers on the cards won't work.

I have always suggested folks buy their phone cards after they are in the UK - only because that is what I've always done. I know a travel companion had all sorts of problems using a card he bought at Costco. He used my card but eventually figured out how to make his work.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Hey Janis, the access number they gave me was for the U.K. The U.S. had another number. Maybe next time I should just buy a calling card *when* I'm in the U.K. (After all this kerfuffle, no wonder I don't want to take my cell phone.)
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:17 PM

was the access number "for" the UK, or "from" the UK. Would be different.

Did it have a PIN - sometimes it is a number you have to scratch off to see.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Oh, the access number was an 0800 number for the U.K. The pin number was revealed when you scratched it off. All I know is, the automated system--once I called this 0800 number in the U.K.--asked for a credit card number, and wouldn't take my PIN number. So, I push the button to talk to an operator, and he asks for a CC number, or do I want to call collect. And he tells me he knows nothing about a prepaid number.

'Tis a mystery to me....
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Mystery solved! I called the customer service folks at Kroger, and I had the access number for the U.K. wrong. I had transposed two digits. Sigh. The customer service guy says, you should've called the customer service number, and we would have given you correct number, but how could I do that from the U.K., when I had the wrong access number? Ahhhhh, technology.