Calling all ideas for a special day in Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking another Fodorite's suggestion to not count Naples out just yet until I know enough about it. I want our last day in Italy to be special, romantic and memorable and want to know if it can happen in Naples. So how would you plan it?<BR><BR>If Naples can't deliver then we'll stay the last day in the coast until time to catch the return flight (Naples airport). Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:27 AM

I would suggest Pompeii which is just outside Naples if it is not already on your itinerary. And there is also a museum in Naples with many treasures from Pompeii. <BR><BR>Also the Palace in Caserta is magnificent.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:08 AM

Hello Daphne, <BR><BR>My daughter (age 10) and I were in Italy in Nov. Naples was our favorite by far. We spent 2 nights there but the highlight was just the walking around and exploring. I *sort-of* did the Rick Steves walk but we added alot more. We stayed down on the waterfront in Santa Lucia so our walking originated from there. There are 2 castles very close to each other to explore on the water front, from there up to the palace and to Galleria Umberto. From there all the way up to the National Archeological Museum and then back down the steet and left on Spacanopoli (this area is a great representation of life in the Pompeii days). <BR><BR>Alot of people will tell you to skip Napoli all together and especially the Spanish Quarter but I say GO-FOR-IT. We were out walking around at 2 in the morning and never felt unsafe or had the least problem. As far as the Spanish Quarter we loved it. Alot of tourists walk a block or two into it but we went way back and loved the people and the intensity of it. ONce you get more than 5 blocks back in, I don't think they every see tourists, let alone Americans and they were so kind and receptive to us. One shopkeeper even told us he was honored to have us in his establishment.<BR><BR>Read a bit more on Napoli and look at some maps of the walk I am talking about. If you need any other help that I could help you with, please feel free to e-mail me. <BR><BR>Have a wonderful Italian experience!<BR>That is truely what Napoli is!<BR>April<BR>[email protected]
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:17 AM

If you are going to Pompeii or Herculaneum I would definitely recommend the Naples Archeological Museum. If you take the metro and get off at Piazza Cavour it it a big red building up the street. Many of the treasures found at Pompeii and Herculaneum are in the museum and they really bring those places to life.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Naples is a very interesting city - old, historical, Roman influence, great archeology museum and so much more. But I would NEVER call it &quot;special, romantic, memorable&quot;. More like old, dirty, poor - southern urban Italy at it's purest. We met some VERY nice people - I'll never forget the old man at the bookstore pulling down his lower eyelid to warn us 6 Americans to &quot;be careful&quot;. Our hotel had a wonderful view of the Bay, we ate FANTASTIC food, the mass transport system is acceptable and I'm VERY glad I saw this realistic slice of modern Italy.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:42 PM
GAC

See the City of Naples from the panoramic terrace of the Museo San Martino on the Vomero Hill. Romantic.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:43 PM

We stayed 2 nights in Naples last spring. I'd recommend the Archeological Museum, Palazzo Reale, Capodimonte Museum (art museum). Or an excursion to Herculaneum. Herc. is smaller and more manageable than Pompeii. We saw both and liked Herc. much more than Pompeii. I'd suggest a nice dinner at one of the 5 star hotels in Santa Lucia with roof top terrace(Excelsior is one.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

What great input! So Naples is not that bad afterall. To help me get a better picture, can anyone describe how Naples is compared to Positano? In what ways are they similar and in what ways different?
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 08:17 PM

Daphne - I would also suggest visiting the acheological musuem, it is one of the most beautiful museums that I've been to in Europe. Go very first thing in the morning- as soon as they open. I spent two hours there and by the time I was leaving there was a line up to get in. I was the first and only person in the museum for about 1/2 an hour (not including the staff of course) and the experience was awesome, espeically when in the main hall with all of the marble statues.<BR>As for Romantic, I would go to the Borgo Marinaro for dinner. It is right on the bay of Naples with spectacular views of Vesuvius in the background. I found that many locals ate there and the seafood was to die for, and the prices weren't too steep.<BR>There are parts of Naples that are absolutely beautiful - I spent an entire day just walking around the waterfront and surrounding areas. I do agree however, that there are some parts that are dicy (as with any city) mostly immediately surrounding Piazza Giarabaldi where the main train station is. Even so I stayed at a hotel not to far away, and while the area wasn't as asthetically pleasing as some, I felt perfectly safe walking in the evening. It gave me a chance to interact with the locals, who would all sit on their balconies during the day, and some would even sleep there at night. They were all super friendly and curious about me - I gathered that they didn't get too many tourists in their part of town! There was a market on the street corner that opened at 5am everymorning with fresh fruit and seafood, and when I was buying some friut from a lady there (and trying to use my VERY poor Italian,) she said that once she closed up shop for the day at about noon that she was taking me back to her house for lunch. Now THAT was an experience!<BR>I found the people in Naples more accommodating and friendly than in any other European city that I've been to, and I would return just because of that.<BR><BR>http://www.eatanddrink.co.uk/restaurants/ScialuppaNaples.asp<BR><BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 12:10 AM

Daphne - Similarities between Positano and Naples? Can't think of ONE!<BR>Differences? Hey - how long have you got?<BR><BR>You either love Naples or you hate it. (I love it!) But it sure ain't romantic ...<BR><BR>For something completely different for your last day, you could always go climb a volcano. (Ercolano &amp; Vesuvius combine well as a day-trip).<BR><BR>If you don't want to spend your day in the city, you could always take a ferry/hydrofoil to one of the islands: Ischia? Procida?<BR><BR>Plenty of choices really ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm, Steve James, you may be up to something there with the islands. How easy is the transportation from Naples there? Wewill still need to stay in a Naples hotel for the night right to catch our 7am flight? I will do a search on here too. Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 01:24 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Miramare in the Santa Lucia area of Naples and found it wonderful. Our room looked out to the water and the hotel (while a bit strangely decorated) reminded me of staying in an elegant home. The people were very nice as well. <BR>We also spent a couple of days on Capri and loved that but if you've got an early flight, I'd suggest you stay in Naples at least one night.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 10:30 PM

Naples is a great city but if you want to go in other places around the city i recommend....1 day in Capri.you go from Sorrento,or 1 day in Pompei and Herculaneum,take the circumvesuviana train,or you can go to the Amalfi coast ,-Positano and Amalfi<BR><BR>i hope you like it have fun
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 10:34 PM

sorry i forgot the most important ,climb the vesuvio volcano ..its a must,take the vans in the train station..are much better ,cause dont stop in souvenir shops like the buses ,and costs 10euro,buses costs 6 or 7euros,and they leave you to the entry
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 11:21 PM

Daphne, the difference between Naples and Positano is like night and day. Positano is a laid back village and mostly tourist oriented, very scenic and quiet.<BR>Naples is a port city, noisy, rough and everything that goes with it, but it can be exciting and interesting too.<BR><BR>I think at least one whole day and the night before you leave is a must in Naples, just because you are curious and haven't been scared off by the nay-sayers so far.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:29 AM

Daphne - I expect you've already found these websites - which have hydrofoil/ferry timetables.<BR><BR>www.ischiaonline.it<BR>www.proc ida.net<BR>www.capri.net<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>