Calitri, Avellino

Search

Calitri, Avellino

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calitri, Avellino

So, has anyone here stayed in Calitri on the eastern edge of Avellino? It looks like the village has had an explicit aim of attracting tourists, to the extent that it has facilitated the rehabilitation of medieval apartment houses and encouraging foreign investment. I've been looking for a place to stay in Avellino, and as someone studying economic development, this is both intriguing and just slightly disturbing. Anyone know more?
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM

I would help you, as I know Irpinia well enough, but, perhaps I did not deeply understood your question and your needs.
Please, let me understand better and more.
Thanks.

Vincenzo
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM

not to worry...as far as I know, there was (and is) no master plan to create a tourist village ;-) Calitri has about 6000 residents and maybe 20 or so foreign-owned homes (I'm guessing on that one - I never run into any English speakers when I'm there - a few of us foreigners keep in touch via email, so I know of those) in the older section of town.

To make a long story short (as best as I know it anyway)- people have left the old Borgo neighborhood moved into more modern homes in the newer section of town...some homes were destroyed in the horrible earthquake that hit Campania in 1980 (it caused sever damage throughout Campania)..people built new ones in the "modern" part of town and left the original ones vacant. Calitri, historically, has also had a history of immigration and homes had been left vacant over the years as people moved to America (and elsewhere.) The Calitrian owners of the home I bought, for example, now live in White Plains, NY.

so....an Italian "developer" living in London (& Rome) decided that foreigners might be interested in buying and restoring some of the older homes (as has been done in so many other parts of Italy, like Tuscany and Umbria.) They marketed and sold properties from the original owners and organised the restoration work. As far as I know, they organized the sale and restoration of about 20 houses and have since moved on to other projects in other parts of Italy and abroad. The homes were bought by English, American, German, and Australians (that I know of anyway), as well as some Italians from the cities looking for country homes. One of the American owners bought her grandmother's house - and a few others have their family roots in neighboring towns.

Around the same time (I honestly don't know the relationship, if any), the town of Calitri recieved much needed funding to restore the Castle that was partially destroyed in the earthquake and create a ceramics museum (Calitri has always been an important ceramics center.) As work was progressing in some homes being restored, locals also started opening businesses once again in the borgo - a B&B, 2 new restaurants, wine bar, cheese tasting room - all popping up in the old borgo wine "grottos" that were once deserted. I am assuming there was some funding given for small business owners to open up shop in that re-development section - I don't know details though.

There is a real estate agent in town that will also organize the restoration of older homes and is working hard to promote tourism in the town and region of Irpinia - don't know of any explicit aim though to attract tourists from the town though...although I'm thrilled if you saw something!!

We do have a tourist office (as do most Italian towns), so perhaps there is some international campaign or effort I don't know of yet! would be terrific as this really is a very unknown and fascinating region. (with fabulous food and wine, I should add)

I'm happy to answer any other questions...or at least try to.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM

Ciao!
I see by your message that you purchased a home in Calitri. I have been looking into it and I'm curious to hear more about your experience. Is it a vacation home or a permanent residence? Was it one of the 35,000 euro redevelopment projects? How do you like it in Calitri? Are the ceramic arts still flourishing there? What is the ancient part of the town like now? Are there more shops, restaurants, hotels, etc.?
I would love to hear about it. Thanks!
Bonita
from California
artistbonniemaffei (at) yahoo.com
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Maybe this blog will help you, until you get the response:

http://southernitaly.wordpress.com/
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 05:58 AM

Do the people who have bought these sustainable tourism project homes get together? Are they mostly English speaking people who have bought them for vacation homes, or does anyone live in Calitri permanently?
What is a good place to stay while visiting Calitri? An apartment or a hotel/B&B?
Ciao!
Bonita
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 05:59 AM

BTW Thanks for the link ekscrunchy!