Calanques from Marseille

Jan 30th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Calanques from Marseille

I want to spend about a 1/2 day visiting the Calanques from Marseille. I'm going in February. Should I consider hiking or taking a boat trip? I'm not an advanced hiker but I've done my fair share of easy to medium hikes.

Thank you.
Jan 30th, 2011, 03:57 AM

I doubt whether boats will go out very often in February. The weather could be a problem, for hiking as well as for taking a boat trip. These are the boat operators:
www.marseille-cote-mer.com
www.croisieres-marseille-calanques.com
www.calanques-cassis.com
Jan 30th, 2011, 04:50 AM

I'd recommend tackling this from Cassis if you can easily get there from Marseille. The hiking is much more user friedly starting in Cassis and I think the boat trips might be more likely off-season from Cassis as well.

Your best bet if you want to start in cassis is to contact the tourist office there. They'll have up to date info.

-Kevin

p.s.: hiking around there is really nice especially in winter if you happen to catch a warmish, sunny day.
Jan 30th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Looks like a train to Cassis is less than 30 mins. What's the weather like in February?
Jan 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM

You can get just about anything in February. If you are lucky, a nice and sunny - almost spring like. Of course, you could get torrential rains off the Med. Or even snow. And on a cold day, if the mistral is blowing, you won't want to be anywhere near the calanques.

Sorry for being vague, but it really is a bit of a crapshoot that time of year.

-Kevin
Feb 1st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Kevin,

Thanks for your honest reply. I guess we'll just play it by ear, and hope for good weather.