Calabria Property Real Estate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow fodorites...I am interested in going to Calabria and looking for an apartment there. I am at the early stages of my research but was wondering if anyone has done this and how you started your research. I plan to go as soon as I am able, but would love to start research from here. I know I can search the internet to get info about the different areas but if there is anyone who has done this and has something they could pass on, as well as contacts for reputable realtors there, that would be great. Thanks so much.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM

Assuming you live in the U.S., and if you are not fluent in Italian, I suggest you find a realtor in England to help you. That realtor will interface with the Italian realtors. I did this several years ago for some French property and was very satisfied with the service.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:45 AM

How long are you going to be in Calabria?

If this is a shortish vacation rental, I recommend you do internet searches for vacation homes, holiday rentals and apartments in Calabria and Southern Italy. It is most often the best way to come up with landlords who are eager to rent to foreigners, speak English and have fitted out their apartments with modern amenities.

If you looking for a longer stay, I suggest that if at all possible, you not enter into a long-term rental agreement until you are actually in Italy and can see what you are renting. Instead, pick your location and find a month-long holiday rental there or nearby, and then visit the local realtors to get something more permanent.

If you don't speak good Italian, and are looking for more than tourist/holiday rentals, accommodations, it can be quite difficult to obtain an apartment in Italy and attend to all the details of the contract, how payments should be made, how to pay for your utilities, etc. The laws governing property transactions in Italy, especially when they involve foreigners, are not a straightforward as they are in France, Spain, etc.

Calabria is not area of Italia that ordinarily attracts a lot of English-speaking tourists (in fact, tourism in general is low there. Have you picked Calabria because of family history? Do you know anyone there? If so, I would begin with the Calabrese you know, and see what guidance they can provide you.

Otherwise, read up on Calabria, pick the location you think will most satisfy what you are looking for from your trip plus give you support and assistance when you need it as a foreigner.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

All good suggestions...thank you all.