Reload this Page >

Cafe vs. Boulangerie

Search

Cafe vs. Boulangerie

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Wendy

Cafe vs. Boulangerie

First off excuse the spelling!! Now here's my question: I will be going to Paris for my third time this holiday season. When in Paris I love croissants from the boulangerie or patiseries - the bakeries for lack of being able to spell!! But I love to get espresso or cafe au lait at a cafe. Is it acceptable to buy a croissant from one place and eat it in another?? Seems rude to me but I have heard it's ok? The croissants in the cafes are never as fresh!<BR>Wendy

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:01 AM
eddie

It is perfectly acceptable to visit the local boulangerie, buy your croissants or pain au chocolate, then take those with you to a cafe to order coffee. No one will say a thing.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Patrick

We used to have our coffee every morning at the cafe right at the corner of rue Buci and Dauphine. They only had plain croissants and I really love those pain au chocolate things. One morning I said to our usual waiter that I wish they had pain au chocolate. He told me about the bakery right around the corner where I could go get one and bring it back to have with my coffee. That's what I wanted to do all along (I already knew about the bakery), but felt I shouldn't. He suggested it, so we did the same every morning -- to the regret of my waistline. I have seen others do it in other cafes, but I'd be more comfortable asking first.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:04 AM
christine

Don't agree with Eddie. Not done at all.But I'm not american!!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Patrick

Hmm, I was busy typing when Eddie posted his comment, but now I'm stuck in the middle (literally) between a yes and a no. Any Parisians on line to tell us the true answer?

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Wendy

I'm with Patrick! Thought I had found my answer but now I'm even more confused!!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Christina

I also agree with Patrick, it may be ok if they do not sell what you want (never if they do), in a more casual place, and I would ask first to be polite. I would never do it for the reason that you suggest, because you think they are better elsewhere, but that's just me and I try to be polite and don't regard their cafe or property as a picnic ground. I usually err on the side of being polite, however, and not aggressive about things like that. There was a thread about this once on her with many opinions, actually, deja vu all over again. All I can say is in the "nicer" or more expensive cafes I have never seen other patrons doing this (except for American tourists), so I don't. In cheaper, more neighborhoody places where I stay that have locals and students, etc, I might (not St-Germain).

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 11:10 AM
newyorker

We stayed on rue Jacob and Cafe Deux Magots is right around the corner from the hotel..I would have a late afternoon pain au chocolat and cafe au lait~ but as in the US-I think it would not be appreciated to bring food to a restaurant.There are wonderful cafes all over Paris,surely one will have a croissant that would meet your approval.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Wendy

I guess I think of Duex Magots as a restaurant and what I'm talking about is purely a Cafe- coffee shop. I like to stand at the counter. I appreciate the replies, and will err on the side of polite!!!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 12:13 PM
PB

There is no stigma attached to bringing your own pastries (or even sandwiches) to a cafe that is strictly a cafe. <BR>Many cafes do offer baskets of croissants in the morning, but if you're not an early bird, they could be gone by the time you get there.<BR><BR>Yes, I do live in France and yes, I often stop by the bakery before heading to the village cafe for my morning cafe au lait.<BR>I used to do the same when I live in Paris years ago.<BR><BR>PB

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 05:53 PM
sandra

I don;t know if I would do it, but on rue buci there is an incredible patisserie called Paul, it is so wonderful and decadent I never wanted to leave

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Patrick

Ah, yes, Sandra, that is exactly the place I was referring to. Then just go right across the street and slightly to the left to the corner at Rue de Ancien (sp?) Comedie (extension of Dauphine)and sit with your pastry and order your coffee. That's where the waiter suggested I do that.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 08:36 PM
Florence

As a rule, it is considered very rude to bring food from outside in a cafe or restaurant. Patrick's solution (in his first post) looks like the perfect answer to your problem: ask the waiter whether they have what you want, then ask if it's OK to buy it elsewhere and have it with your expresso. Chance is he will agree and he'll make sure they have it next time you come ...

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Wendy

Well I am glad that there is such a mixed response as that means that I am not the only one "not in the know". Thanks guys! I will definately ask at the cafe and let them suggest it or will have my espresso and pasteries at seperate locals. Thanks again!!