Search

Cadiz or not?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadiz or not?

We will be in Spain for 21 days ( 2 travel days not included). We have an open jaw flight into Madrid and out of Barcellona. I am trying to decide how many days I should leave for the first part of the trip before going to Barcellona and the Costa Brava.

I'd definitely like to do Madrid with two day trips to Toledo and Segovia(4 days), train to Cordoba (2 days), train to Sevilla ( one day trip to Rhonda- anyone know a day tour or a good way of doing Rhonda in a day?) (3 days) and train to Granada (2 days). We were thinking of maybe fitting in Cadiz and Jerez de la Frontera The question is how do we do it? Rent a car? From where? How long would be a fair amt. of time?

After that we would fly to Barcellona and spend some time in the Costa Brava. How much time would I need to see Barcellona and the Costa Brava. We love art and we love to go off the beaten track.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM

I loved Ronda (spent two nights there) and did not love Cadiz. We spent a night in Jerez (did tours of a couple of sherry wineries) and made a day trip to Cadiz. I could have done without the trip to Cadiz. I just didn't find it that interesting or attractive.

We took a train from Madrid to Cordoba, and rented a car there and drove all around Andalucia: Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba, Jerez, Cadiz, and Ronda. This was a 16-day trip.

On another trip, I stayed 10 days in Barcelona and did not see all that I wanted to. Cadiz is definitely my least favorite of all the places in Spain that I visited--and I am easy to please.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM

Unfortunately I have to second maryann's views on Cadiz.
I stayed in the area and toured Western Andalucia for a week, and was almost surprised that I did not like it better.
Maybe the "competition" of the smaller towns nearby made Cadiz look not that stunning. And since you don't have any of the White Villages of Andalucia on your list, you could get a car after you're done with Sevilla, and use it to get to Granada via Ronda - and see one or two of the villages ot towns on your way, like Arcos de la Frontera.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:53 PM

I have visited Barcelona 3 times (8-5-5 days) with only one day trip and still have not seen all I would like to. Agree about Cadiz.
There is a lot to see in Madrid, especially if you like art.
I would add time to Madrid ( it is a huge city ) and cut Cordoba by a day.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Much depends on WHEN your proposed trip is going to happen. If it coincides with the Horse Show in Jerez de la frontera then Jerez should be a definite yes. As for Cadiz, I usually stay in el Puerto de Santa Maria and take the Ferry over to Cadiz for shopping & walkabouts. The Port of Cadiz is a short walk from the old quarter or the Cathedral. Cadiz is also a hub for Bus travel throughout Andalucia. The Terminal is next to the Port.

Everyone wants to go 'off the beaten path,' so much that you find more people like yourself (i.e., Tourists) there than on the beaten path.

If you're going to rent a car, do so when you are leaving Sevilla: There are several Car Rental Agencies w/outlets at Santa Justa Renfe Station.
BTW
As you may have noticed from earlier posts, you misspelled Barcelona and Ronda.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Nedsireland is correct - what time of year your trip falls is critical. I love to incorporate a local festival (or 2) into all of my trips. Also, what type of traveler are you (fast-paced or relaxed) and what do you enjoy (history, beaches, food, etc...).

Is this your first trip to Spain?

Regarding Cadiz, it is probably my favorite city in Spain. However, it is probably one of those places you either like or don't like. It's not all dressed up for tourism and there aren't a great deal of tourist attractions. However, it has charm and character - a great city for just wondering around, and good food. Maybe I just like port towns as I love the city of Malaga too . If this is your first trip to Spain and depending on the time of your and how your itinerary fills in with Catalunya, I'd probably forego Cadiz.

Other comments:

Did you consider spending the 1-2 nights in Toledo and/or Segovia versus doing as a daytrip from Madrid. Toledo in particular receives so many day-trippers if you can spend the night it's a different atmosphere.

Ronda as a daytrip from Sevilla is ambitious. It will be a long day and alot of time spent on the bus. With only 3 days/nights in Sevilla I wouldn't want to do Ronda as a daytrip. Instead I'd rent a car and take 1-2 nights exploring the Pueblos Blancos basing yourself in Ronda. With a car from Ronda you could drive to Granada (dropping off the car before you get in the city). If you don't want to rent a car you could take a bus from Sevilla to Ronda but obviously don't have the opportunity to explore the other villages.

If you end up going directly from Sevilla to Granada I prefer bus. Alsa just started a new "supra" service from Sevilla to Granada so the seats are roomier and the bus is nice. It's about the same time using the bus or train.

You can easily visit Jerez from Sevilla by frequent bus or train connections. However, I'd add a day to Sevilla if you spend a day visiting Jerez.

I'd budget at least 4 days in Barcelona alone and if you want to do daytrips out of Barcelona a full week. You could easily spent another week exploring the Costa Brava and other cities/villages in Catalunya (Girona, Tarragona, Vic, Besalu, etc...).
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 08:36 AM

We took a bus from Sevilla to Cadiz. Enjoyed it immensely - especially time at the beach.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:56 PM

CathyM writes: << ... Alsa just started a new "supra" service from Sevilla to Granada so the seats are roomier and the bus is nice. It's about the same time using the bus or train. ... >>

About ALSA's Supra service: It may cost a bit more but it's well worth it. ALSA MotorCoach is restroom-equipped. Seats are comfortable and reclining, three across, two on one side and one on the other. You can watch a movie in Spanish or listen to music with headset that is provided free-of-charge. There's a Steward (or Stewardess) on board who will serve you drinks, snacks and newspapers or revistas. As I recall, soft deinks and beer are free. All those features make for a nice ride.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Great help! Sorry about the spelling errors.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM

This was my first experience with the Supra service and I was surprised there was not a steward on board with drinks or newspapers (as I had read about in the past). I took the noon bus and we received a snack bag with bottled water, chips and cookie. But no newspapers, movie or steward/stewardess. However, it was a much nicer bus with a restroom, larger seats and direct service - still worth the price (approx 6 euros).

I checked Alsa's website and they appear to have 2 levels of supra service: a supra and also a supra +. The supra + has all of the additional amenities.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

If you take the bus do see intersting countyside?