Cadiz - I need help!!!

Search

Cadiz - I need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadiz - I need help!!!

my girlfriend and i want to see the coast of andalucia. we have 3 open days in late august. yes i now it will be hot as hell and yes i know it will be crowded so spare me. can anyone recommend a place to stay. hotel, b&b, apartment, condo will be fine (a pool would be great). at this point in the trip we will have been doing a lot of sightseeing so we just want to chill for a couple days. is there somewhere else i should try? some little beachside hole in the wall town that would work? this section of the trip is in between seville and madrid. 3 days to kill and want to be near the water. help!! Cathym???
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM

These are places on the water, all North of Cadiz. One is Rota, a sleepy little town with a military base, that has a nice beach. The little town of El Puerto de Santa Maria is busier, with more restaurants than Rota. My favorite in the area, however, is Sanlucar de Barrameda. It has a beautiful beach and a lovely town plaza with nice restaurants. If you have a car, you have lots of options. You can stay in some neat place and drive to the beach towns.

Check in Fodor' Rivages Hotels of Character and Charm in Spain. I've been happy with every one.

It has been a long time, so you would need to check out current reviews, but I stayed in Cortijo Barranco, near Arcos. It is a farm with a beautiful courtyard and magnificent pool. You could have a wonderful family dinner. I don't know if they have air conditioning though.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 01:39 AM

I have stayed several times at the Hotel Santa Maria (***) in el Puerto de Santa Maria, domicile of Bodegas Osborne. The Hotel has air conditioned rooms and a rooftop swimming pool; and it's just across c/Bajamar from a ferry landing at which you can catch a ferry to Cadiz.

It's also within walking distance (less than 1km) to a public beach.

During the day, trains run hourly between el Puerto and Jerez de la frontera or Sevilla. They originate in Cadiz. There's also a Bus Stop in front of the Renfe station where you can catch a Bus that runs a similar route.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 02:46 AM

have a look on your other thread. in el puerto the best place by far is Hotel Los Jandalos which has excellent rooms and also apartments surrounding a very pleasant garden pool. Might be fully booked but this year there's a good chance it won't be as of now. www.jandalos.com and click on the El Puerto de Santa Maria option (pic at top). Cheaper to book online or go through tripadvisor.
There's a great old steam ferry and also two modenr catamarans which run between puerto and cadiz every day - top thing to do. el puerto has an elegasnt centre, very like that of cadiz though not quite as impressive, great seafood restaurants, five good though in aug busy beaches and even a waterpark.
Rota is pleasant but there's not much there other than beaches.
Cadiz is wonderful; beaches along the s/w side of the city, lots of plazas, top tapas, good restaurants, bags of character. Hotel options are surprisingly not brilliant. There's a new, fairly corporate Spa Sen ator in the old town and Hospederia de la Cortes, quite pleasant maybe 3*; my suggestion would be the parador atantico www.paradores.es right on the end of the peninsula. Many reports suggest it's a bit quiet and featureless but as a family with small children and before the kids came along we've always had a great time there. There's a good pool, good food and a really relaxed atmosphere. It's next to the lovely Genoves park and nearby (not too near) there are a couple of live outdoor music venues and also the fabulous La Caleta beach (Cadiz doubled as Havana in Die Another Day and this is where Halle Berry strolled out of the sea)
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Forget Arcos and esp Cortijo Barranco. It's in the middle of nowhere, is bloody hot in Aug and there's been a change of ownership. Visit inland certainly but lodge on the coast
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. Looking into Santa Maria now. i love that is is only 80 minutes from seville. keep the comments coming!
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 03:43 AM

excellent - if you're in puerto we'll meet for a cafe or a copa! if los jandalos doesn't appeal try Monasterio de San Miguel or Duques de Medinacelli (both upmarket & not cheap). In the very centre (public car park nearby) is Palacio de los Leones. Can try to think of other options too...
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Portuense,

Thanks for posting the update on Cortijo Barranco. I had such fond memories, but things do change. Sigh. Sounds like El Puerto has improved since I was there. I will have to visit there again.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Portuense - i will look into those places although i am looking for places a bit less expensive
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Spent 4 days at Conil de la Frontera in 2005 and loved it. We were there in May and it was warm, but very windy. Some great restaurants right on the beach.
You can walk into the town from anywhere along the waterfront. I can't for the life of me remember the hotel we stayed in, but it was a large, modern, resort-type hotel that was about 100- 120 Euro per night as I recall, including a very nice breakfast. The entire area was friendly, clean, and inexpensive.
If I can come up with the name of the hotel, I'll post it later.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM

If you're looking for a little town Cadiz isn't exactly small. But if you're looking for a place to hang out and relax for a few days with possibilities of good daytrips it would work fine.

As far as where to stay, the nicer beaches are not in the old part of town but I always stay in the old town so I don't know any hotels outside of the old town.

My favorite hotel in the old town is the Hosperderia las Cortes. It's well located and if you don't have a car it's an easy to walk to the bus or train stations. I don't recommend an interior room as they only have a window above the door and I felt like a prisoner with little light or scenery. The rooms overlooking Calle San Francisco are nice with little balconies - great for people watching. However there is no pool.
http://www.hotellascortes.com/

My close second choice in Cadiz would be Hotel Argantonio. It's less than a 2 minute walk from Hotel las Cortes. I stayed there for the first time in April. I was disappointed at first because the street in front was all dug up and it wasn't very scenic (but can't blame the hotel for that). I was further disappointed because although I had asked for an exterior room overlooking the (dug up) street instead they gave me a small interior room (#304) with a small window and bars (the prisoner effect again). I asked to be moved but they were full. The next day I moved to a much nicer room (#201). The decor is cute and the included breakfast was very good with jamon and tomotoes so I could make my favorite tomoato bread. There was a great selection of pastries too. But no pool at this hotel.
http://www.hotelargantonio.com/

If you want a hotel with a pool, my first choice would be the Hotel Spa Senator. It has a rooftop pool and a spa. I stayed here once and although it was nice it didn't have alot of character and charm. It opened in 2007 so it's relatively new and is in the old town, about 5 minutes from the other 2 hotels. This hotel has the most services of these 3 hotels and is a little more fancy.
http://www.hotelspasenatorcadiz.com/

Another option with a pool is the Parador, Hotel Atlantico.
http://www.parador.es/en/cargarFicha...do?parador=020
As another poster mentioned it's modern and doesn't have alot of character or charm. However, service is very good and there's a nice restaurant on site with great ocean views and an outdoor pool. The only reason I mention it last is it is a little further from the center of the old town, bus station, etc... than the previous options - but only a 15 minute walk. It may be a good idea to do the half board special and just relax for a few days.

I'm not a huge fan of El Puerto de Santa Maria. This is only my opinion and many people like this town. But I've visited there 3 times and can't seem to warm to the place.

I prefer Sanlucar de Barrameda over El Puerto de Santa Maria. It just seems nicer, friendlier and I like the Bodegas better. I stayed one night at Hotel los Helechos in April. This hotel was only 42 euros a night (double, siingle use) and right in the center of town. There is now an elevator (which made me very happy). The patio and fountains are very relaxing. The website mentions a new pool but I didn't notice one (and I didn't ask). The rooms are spacious and clean but just a little dated.
http://www.hotelsearch.com/hotel/los...ml?search=true

I considered the Hotel Posada del Palacio. It looked nice and reviews on tripadvisor are good. However, when I emailed them they answered my second attempt 2 weeks later notifying me of the price and the room availability. No explanation on why it took so long to return the email. By this time I'd already booked at Los Helechos and was a little turned off by how long it took for them to respond.
http://www.hotelsearch.com/hotel/pos...ml?search=true

I did notice a brand new hotel just off the main square, Hotel Barrameda. I stepped in to grab a card and get prices. It looked quite cute and I'd consider staying there in the future.
www.hotelbarrameda.com

Hope this helps in your decision. If you decide on either of these places let me know and I'll pass along my restaurant and bodega recommendations.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Cathy - thank you so much for your post. extremely helpful. where is the new part of town and what are the differences between the old and new. also, where are the better beaches in cadiz??
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM

danlotec - new town/old town in cadiz is separated by the Puerta de la Tierra - huge gate and town walls. The old town is everything at the far end of the peninsula so youhave to go through the new town to get there by road and there's no rail station in the old town, though the ferries from El Puerto & Rota do dock there.
New town is pleasant enough but residential and largely featureless - certainly no tourist sights. But there is a vast beach (Playa de la Victoria) running along the SW side of the narrow peninsula (vast in length, about 50metres average in width). They hold a mass barbecue there in august when upwards of 200,000 people spend the night on the beach doing their best to burn a new hole in the ozone layer. It's not a night for the weak-chested but it says a lot about the party attitude of gaditanos. go to simonseeks.com, search cadiz and you'll find an article about the city as a party town.
The old town is bursting with character but the best thing about it is just being there, wandering the streets, stopping off at bars, sitting in the plazas and generally absorbing the feel of a really different city - different to anywhere else in spain. it feels more south american...in a good way!
As I said earlier, La Caleta is a little gem of a beach, up near the end of the peninsula. There's Victoria and another in between, then further east alongside the causeway which connects cadiz and san fernando there's another much quieter beach but you'd need a bus/taxi to get htere. Don't drive in Cadiz: no parking unless you pay a stack, narrow streets, confusing layout, nowhere to drive to, a nightmare (at times) getting into the city esp in summer...
Despite CsthyM's opinion, El Puerto is really a good alternative. The two are so close it doesn't really matter; Puerto's beaches and concentration of fish restaurants are better. And there's an excellent gourmet restaurant, Poniente (have a look at website) serving amazing modern cuisine; Cadiz has a rash of new modern rests too so there sre now real alternatives to the the frioed fish/pork/tired salad some areas have.
Sanlucar is lovely but you're a little bit cut off from other areas there - you'd definitely have to have a car. From cadiz & especially El Puerto Jerez is a hop away by train.
Let me know if you want more specific hotel/anything else info.
Suerte