Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cadaqués or Sitges as a daytrip from Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm leaving for Barcelona next Saturday for 8 nights, and I'd like to day trip to either of these beach towns but I can't make up my mind.

Sitges is at a 30 minute train ride and Cadaqués is at a 02 hour bus ride. I wish I could fit them both, but I don't want to rush my time in Barcelona. They both look beautiful, although they look kind of similar. What do you think? Should I fit them both? Should I pick just one?

Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM

For an extremely easy and quick day trip from Barcelona via the cercanías/rodalies (commuter) trains, I'd choose Sitges. It takes about 42 min. on line C2 (south).

I just looked at the Sarfa bus schedule from Barcelona to Cadaqués, and the 10:30 am train doesn't arrive until 13:15. There seems to be just one bus in the morning and one return in the late afternoon, leaving at 17:00 and arriving at 19:45.

Personally, I would never make Cadaqués a day trip from Barcelona.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maribel.

The Sarfa bus schedule lists a bus leaving Barcelona at 08AM and arriving in Cadaqués at 10.15AM and a bus leaving Cadaqués at 07.45PM and arriving in Barcelona at 10PM. Two hours on a bus don't really sound like fun, though.

However, that's what I want to know, if when comparing Sitges to Cadaqués, Sitges isn't only an easier day trip but also more alluring place than Cadaqués.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Hi Orlando,
Sorry. I didn't see that Sarfa 8 am departure. I was looking on the bus station site.

I just find Sitges such an easy day trip from Barcelona with departures as early as pre dawn and returns as late as 10:26 pm. It just makes for a very comfortable, easy day trip with so many options for going and coming back.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:03 AM

Just one caveat re. Sitges: Try to avoid weekends, because the town and the beaches get really packed then, incl. waiting time at restaurants at lunchtime. Just for taking a swim, or sunbathing on the beach, the city beaches of Barcelona are even easier to reach and almost nicer as you usually have more space.