Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cab fare from Madrid airport to Prado area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 04:37 PM
almost there!

Does anyone know the cost of a cab From the Madrid airport to Prado area? I don't want to get ripped off... Thanks!! <BR> <BR>Also, since your here, how far is it to walk from Prado to the train station? Better to take a cab? Thanks again!!

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 05:17 PM
me

back to top! Help please!

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 04:09 AM
Jose

The rate from Barajas airport has some extracharges, such as 100 pesetas each lugage, 500 pesetas for been from the airport (I cannot asure this charge is exactly 500 pts). <BR> <BR>But in total it cannot be over 3000 or 4000 pesetas from Barajas to the downtown. <BR> <BR>If you take the number of license of the taxi wrote in a paper when you get into it, the driver will not over charge you, and also you can ask the driver how much will be (more or less). If you think you think you have been ripped off, asked for an official bill and advice the driver you are going to the police (I am sure you won't need to do this after writing the licence in the face of the driver and ask him the price of your ride). <BR> <BR>Hope this will help you

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Jose

Sorry. I forgot the latest question. <BR> <BR>Walking from Prado area to Atocha train station will take about 10 or 15 minutes, and the area is pretty. Do not take a cab for this walk.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 10:37 AM
MO

HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR TRIP. IT WAS THE WORST TRIP I'VE EVER BEEN ON. I DON'T REALLY WANT TO GET INTO THAT. OUR FIRST INTRODUCTION TO LOVELY SPAIN WAS FROM A CAB DRIVER WHO TOOK ADVANTAGE OF US. WE KNEW HOW MUCH IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE BUT WE THOUGHT OH WE MUST BE MISTAKEN. WE LEARN LATER HE CHARGED US $40 more. NO WONDER HE DIDN'T DROP US OFF IN THE FRONT OF THE HOTEL THATS NOT THE END OF OUR CAB STORIES.OUR HOTEL DOOR MAN HAILS US A CAB THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE REPUTABLE TO TAKE US TO OUR TRAIN STATION. LUCKILY BEING IN MADRID FOR A COUPLE DAYS WE KNEW WHERE IT WAS LOCATED BECAUSE THIS DRIVER WAS TAKING US IN A TOTALLY OPPOSTIE DIRECTIOIN. ONE FINAL SUGGESTION, DON'T TRUST ANYONE.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Not me!!

For the last message, this is precisely why I ask for advise on this forum as NOT to get ripped off! Sorry you did not take the time.... <BR> <BR>I plan on a wonderful trip!

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Jose, One more question!

Thanks for the advise! One more, Is the walk doable with a backpack or will I be sweating and wishing I took the cab? (will be there 9/22)?

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Jose

Don't worry, it is doable with your backpack (if it isn't one Tn). Distance is not more than just a mile. <BR>And you will walk under trees shadows.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 11:11 AM
MO

Hey not me I thoroughly research any trip I take. Being a trusting person, thinking that a cab driver won't take advantage of my sister and me I believed him. Haven't you ever been given the wrong information from fellow tourists. I have and the majority concerned my trip to Spain. I think the city people are the rudest I have ever encountered in any of my travels. I am from the DC area and I have lived in NYC so know I am not a naive mid-western girl. One of my only postive experiences in Spain was when we were down south in Marbella. Why? Oh probably the resort I stayed in was full tourists from outside Spain. Oh and their neighboring country Gibraltar couldn't have been nicer.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Jose

Hey, mister Hate (what an owfull name). <BR> <BR>Gibraltar is not a country but a British colony, from the Utrecht Agreement about 2 centuries ago, and people from there are called 'llanitos', and speak perfect Spanish with Andalucian accent, and have a mixed culture with British and Spanish ingredients. <BR> <BR>Sure you will be better in your home at DC or NYC, so better do not ever go abroad.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 03:57 PM
mo

No,jose as you say "so better do not ever go abroad" should I correct your grammer the way you corrected me. I will not stay home because I've had pleasant trips throughout the entire world. Sorry not in Spain. When referring to Gibraltar as a country I know its history I thought it would be easier to call it a country.No I don't think I asked about the individuals who lived there did I? Or for that matter what these individuals spoke all I know is I got no attitude with any of them.Yeah Mr hatred is an awful name is that what you meant when you said owful. Me thinks you protest to much. Are you from Spain? I love how people on this site love to attack people. Yeah I'm doing the attacking now but originally I was just giving my opinion.Remember I wasn't the first to cast my stone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Es

Dear Mr Hate: <BR>Seeing as you're an American, you probably have a therapist so why don't you go speak to him/her and try to work on those racist thoughts that you harbour? Spain is currently the second most visited country in the world, and I can assure you that it'a not just for the 'Sangria'. <BR>Attacking 'Jose' for his grammar is the most base form of retaliation. At least he attempts to write in another language. Did YOU try to assimilate in Spain? Did you learn some of the language? Or did you turn up and expect the whole of Spain to drop to its knees in the presence of an American? <BR>Get over it, or if all else fails, stay in America.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 05:09 PM
harold

Yo Es and Jose, Why should Mo stay in America when he says he's been throughout Europe and has had no problem. As for Spain being the second most visited country who cares. Everyone is going to try liver at least once. How many repeat visits to Spain? Sure not from me. Jose corrected Mo so why can't he be corrected?

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 10:25 PM
Es

Yo Harold: <BR> <BR>Excellent - I'm sure that all Spaniards will be happy to hear that you won't be going back - keep going to your McDonalds and I'm sure that you'll never have to eat liver again. <BR>As for the rest of us, we'll keep going back to Spain to experience a culture full of passion, excitement and romance - far far away from the likes of you.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Jose

First of all, my English is not as good as I liked, but I promise improve it with your help. So sorry for it. <BR> <BR>The problem is that a person who start writing with 'I hate' is a person with a closed mind. In this case, the best is study a little, get knowlegde on what you are talking about, and only after this, you can speak. <BR> <BR>I have never been in USA, and IŽd like go there sometime, and I'm sure I will find many good things. Others, a minority won't so good, but my opinion will not be 'I hate USA'. <BR>As a matter of fact, Mr.Hate says how bad is my 'grammer', a word wich haven't been matched in the dictionary by me. <BR> <BR>In fact, it is a question of culture: the more you read, travel, study..., the less you hate. <BR> <BR>This will be the medicine to save the world. <BR> <BR>Any case, I hope that all of you keep on having great travels.