Reload this Page >

Buying wine in Italy?

Search

Buying wine in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:10 AM
Nutella

Buying wine in Italy?

I know very little, if nothing about wine (except I know what I like!). Will be travelling to Tuscany and wish to bring back a few bottles, but only if it is an exceptional buy and something I can't get back home. I'm willing to splurge on a special bottle. However, can't find any guides - they all seem to be out of print on Amazon. Short of printing out 200 pages of wine reviews/prices from the Wine Spectator website, can anyone offer advice or tell me where to go for reference? Thanks!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:47 AM
sandi

Why limit yourself only to Amazon? Get in your car and go to a bookstore or a nice wine shop in your area. The Wine Spectator article is very good and should be considered a good reference. Just take notes from it. Note the vineyards and vintages they recommend. You can also search on this forum to find previous recommendations.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 06:24 AM
ohoh

We purchased several bottles for picnics, cocktails overlooking the Grand Canal, etc while we were traveling, and brought home a couple. You will be able to purchase wonderful wines (for example Chianti Classicos and Vino Nobiles) from shops in towns. Expect to pay between $8-15 US. Prices would be higher for Montalcino Brunellos, over $25 US. Look for "enotecas" where you can often eat a low-cost, light meal while tasting wines offered for sale. You can count on finding many in places like Montepulciano, Montalcino, Siena, and even tiny Monteriggioni. We got a wonderful 1997 chianti for about $8 in a small grocery store in Castellina in Chianti -- where we also picked up delicious picnic sandwiches for about $1.50 each. The proprieter opened the bottle and provided plastic glasses for us. What a way to travel...

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Stephanie

You won't be able to get the same wine back home as in Italy. The difference with Italian wine is that there are no preservatives. You can really taste the grapes and you don't get that heavy headed feeling when drinking red wine (haven't tried white). Chianti Classico and Brunellos are my favorite. You can buy them in local stores but I always bring back about 6 bottles or so that I buy in the airport, Rocco De La Maccia Chianti Classico, I think that's how you spell it. Keep in mind, there are no preservatives so shelf life is usually 1-5 years.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 08:13 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lots of great choices and all very regional. My favs include the brunello in Montalcino for a hearty red and the Vernaccia di San Gimignano for a crisp white. The wines in Veneto are a different story. I am not a big chianti fan, but there are dozens of them and some are not bad.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 09:02 AM
erica

OH NO - more bad information getting out there. There are NOT preservatives in exported wine and if you bring some home from Italy you CAN cellar it for the time appropriate for the year and type. Up to 10+ years for a Super Tuscan, for example. <BR> <BR>Personally, I have come to really enjoy Chianti (like a fava bean, also!) - read Gambero Rosso.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 12:28 PM
helen

Nutella, Since you know what you like, take Oh-oh's advice and take the opportunity to sample the stuff at various enotecas. Or, just ask the shop owner's advice and get a bottle (or two), sample it leisurely under a tree in some tiny medieval town overlooking a great view, and return somewhat tipsy in a few hrs to get a couple more bottles to take home--great way to pass the afternoon!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 12:44 PM
wine drinker

No wines have preservatives! Alcohol is provides all the preservation needed. And while we're on it, sulfites are a naturally occuring part of the fermentation process. There are more sulfites in red and usually more alcohol in red too, hence the reaseon for stronger headaches.(I am employed by a winery). OK, now that, that's out of the way. Here's what I tell people about wine that want to know what's "good" to buy. "You like what you like!" For some that's a sweeter reisling from Germany, for others an aged to perfection Cabernet from Bordeaux. The great news about Italian wines is that they are very affordable and yet really good wines. If you want a specific source, I agree with he Wine Spectator suggestion. "Wine for Dummies" is actually a great beginners guide. If you are in Siena, the Enoteca museum at the city wall had a wonderful tasting room with wines from all over Tuscany. Most of the wines you'll drink you won't see out of Italy. Here are some of my favorites from Italy,(not all Tuscan wines) <BR>Whites: Prosecco, a refreshing sparkling wine from the Veneto. Orvieto Classico (Umbria)and the white produced in San Gimingiano. <BR>Reds: Barbara d'Alba (Peidmont?), Chianti, Multipulciano Nobille Though 98 and 99 vintages are good, '97 in Tuscany was an outstanding year and if you have a choice between vintages with everything being equal, go with '97.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Santa Chiara

To Wine Drinker, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the good information. I had read that Barbara had less tanin. Is this true? It doesn't affect me like most other Italian reds. If I drink more than one or two glasses of anything else (never mind the fact that I shouldn't drink more), I get a flushed face and a headache. Also, it has a softer taste than the somewhat chewy chianti. <BR> <BR>I discovered Burgandy and Premier Grand Cru this summer and now these are, unfortunately for my pocketbook, my favorite reds. <BR> <BR>Again, thanks for the good break-down of the different wines. I am still learning. I am with Bob the Navigator about Vernaccia, especially for summer. A good Tuscan white is Galeto.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:54 AM
ro

stephanie: did you put the wine in you carry on, or did you check it thru? also, did you claim it with customs. i guess the question is, how did you get it thru customs?

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Jasman

I'm planning my trip to Italy now and am planning to bring back wine (as much as I can carry).<BR>I went to Paris this year and brought back case and half of wine and champagne. I took wine shipping boxes over with me as you cant get them there. They are light going over but heavy coming back. I packed box of 6 in my duffle bag and carried another 6 pack box as carry on. Had another 6 bottles stuck in another back and wifes bag. I went to Customs (Atlanta) line to declare it and they said duty was too small to worry about and waved me thru. I have read of similar experiences on Wine Spectator boards.<BR>I'm doing my excercises now to prepare for carrying more next time.<BR>Cheers<BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 10:11 AM
JKC

Brunello's from '95 are very good.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Diane

Just finishing a '97 Chianti Classico we brought back from Monteriggioni last May. We still have a '97 Vino Noble from Montepulciano that we are saving for Christmas. Luckily we can get some of these wines locally, but the ones from little wineries we brought home are far superior. Just have to go back and get some more. ha ha ha ha ha ha