buying fine prints at the Louvre?

Nov 20th, 2000, 09:23 AM
E

buying fine prints at the Louvre?

When I visited the Louvre back in the '80s I stumbled on a room where people were looking through lots of prints. Later I was told these were new prints made from the Louvre's collection of artists' original plates, and that they were for sale. (So, for example, one could buy a print newly made from a plate carved by an artist 300 years ago.) This seems like the sort of thing that would horrify a curator, but does anyone know if it's true, if it's still possible to buy these, and if so, where? I was always sorry I didn't buy one of those prints back then; maybe I can rectify the situation when I go back in April.

Nov 20th, 2000, 09:36 AM
John

I was at the Louvre about three weeks ago. I noticed a room that looked like it sold prints like those you are talking about attached to the gift shop. I didn't go in because i was in a hurry and also because there was an exhibition sign on the door. However, I thought it was odd that a print exhibition was attached to the gift shop, so they probably do sell what you are looking for.

Also, prints made like this are noted as being posthumous; it is done with photographic prints all the time. They are inherently less valuable, especially when mass marketed. An original print (even in a limited edition) would still be worth much more.

Nov 20th, 2000, 11:04 AM
SharonM

I bought one such print about 14 years ago from the Louvre. It is a numbered lithograph of a reclining nude. Quite frankly, I'm not even sure who the artist is (no one I'd heard of) but it was off of an original plate and was relatively inexpensive.

Nov 20th, 2000, 01:58 PM
Joe

I visited the gallery last November. It's now located in the exitway from the Louvre that goes into the Carousel de Louve (the underground shopping center with the inverted pyramid). It's on the left as you go out, across (I think) from a rock and mineral shop.

Joe

Nov 21st, 2000, 09:22 AM
Carol

In French, it's called "chalcographie". My sister-in-law, the art teacher, directed me to that little room in the '70s. The last poster is correct, there's a museum shop in the Carrousel du Louvre underground. If you can't locate it, just ask information for the chalcographie shop. I still have my Fragonard and Rembrandt prints from 30 years ago hanging on my walls. They're still magnificent. Don't miss the chance this time.