Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Europe

Search

Buying a car in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Dan

Buying a car in Europe

I have been thinking about buying a new car in Europe (Mercedes or BMW), picking it up at the factory and then touring for a couple of weeks before having it shipped back to the US. Has anyone done this type of thing? Were there any problems, any special things to consider?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:39 AM
mj

Dan,<BR>I've no first hand knowledge but several people I know have used BMW's Euro. delivery plan for their US spec. car and have had no problems. Don't know if MB has a similar program. The BMW (USA) site has a link to the program.<BR><BR>If you were thinking of buying a Euro spec. car for delivery to the US, that's a whole different can of worms - read not fun and can be expensive.<BR>hth,<BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Tony

Did this several years ago. Purchased car through local US dealer. They arranged everything. Did a tour of the factory and then picked up car. We spent two weeks driving around in Germany and Austria. When we were done, we turned in the car and they handled all details of the shipment to West Coast and our local dealer. I doubt we saved any money on the purchase but it was nice to have a new car to drive around while we were there.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:19 PM
John H

Hi, Dan,<BR><BR>Looked at BMW's program last year. As a previous poster wrote, they have info on (even a timetable for) this process on their website. They make the car US-ready (including California emission equipped, if needed). I believe you save 8% off the sticker price of a BMW for foreign delivery. Local dealers will handle the paperwork too -- just use the website to get an overview of the process and timing.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>John H.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:19 AM
JP

See www.shipside.com<BR><BR>They've been the overseas auto sales and shipping business forever.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Peter

I remember reading an article on a flight last month about european auto purchase programs. The article was in a travel magazine, I think it was Conde Nash Traveler (sorry I can't me more specific - you might check your library or their website). Anyway, the author related his experience of purchasing a new Volvo stateside and arranging for pickup at the factory in Sweden. There was a table included comparing manufacturers programs (BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Saab, etc.) Some offered discounts (0 to 10%), free airline tickets, shipping arrangements, etc. My take after reading the article was that you would be doing it for the experience rather than the savings. Nothing wrong with that - the author and his family had a blast. It certainly got me thinking about BMW's new 5 series coming out next year!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Anne

Hi: We did this in 1998. We purchased in the U.S. then picked up our BMW in Munich, and drove it for a month all over Italy. When it was time for us to go home, a driver came to our hotel in Milano, and drove it back to Germany. Six weeks later we received our vehicle in perfect condition stateside. What a super experience from beginning to end. We still have that car and frequently talk about what a fun experience it was. We saved a couple thousand plus the savings of not rental a car. Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Sam

Can anyone who has bought a bmw in Germany tell me if there are any misc costs associated with the european delivery process? Like cost of shipping across the Atlantic/Pacific, etc...<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Sam

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Anne

Hi: We did this in 1998. We purchased in the U.S. then picked up our BMW in Munich, and drove it for a month all over Italy. When it was time for us to go home, a driver came to our hotel in Milano, and drove it back to Germany. Six weeks later we received our vehicle in perfect condition stateside. What a super experience from beginning to end. We still have that car and frequently talk about what a fun experience it was. We saved a couple thousand plus the savings of not rental a car. Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!