Buy TGV tickets in advance?

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:06 AM
Susan

Buy TGV tickets in advance?

I'm sorry to subject this board to another train question, but I haven't seen the answer to this one yet. We will be traveling on a Saturday in mid-June on the TGV from Lausanne, Switzerland to Paris. I know the general recommendation from the folks on this board is to wait to buy train tickets overseas. My concern is whether the train will get filled if we don't purchase the tickets until a few days before, since we're traveling on a Saturday and there is only one afternoon departure. What do you think? Should we chance it and wait to purchase tickets in Switzerland or should we go ahead and pre-purchase them now?

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:12 AM
Dara

I would definitely recommend that you reserve and buy your TGV tickets in advance; your concern is totally valid.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:27 AM
Sue

According to another Fodorite, this is what you should do:

"Message: I just purchased tickets on an English line through the French Rail sncf. I paid for the phone call, charged the tickets and they will be sent to my US address in 15 days. Got a discount for booking ahead. The hours are 7am to 10pm French time and the number is 011-33-892-35-35-39. You always get a discount and assured seat if you book ahead."

Someone else said they had trouble with that number and posted two other numbers: 33 836 35 35 35 in \Fench or 33 836 35 35 39 in English, so maybe the 892 above should have been 836.

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:19 AM
Susan

Thanks for the replies. I think fifty percent of the reason I'm thinking about purchasing in advance is to be assured reservations and fifty percent is because I'm so excited about the trip each time I do something in preparation it makes it feel more real!

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:36 PM
Barbara

Hi Susan,
Just made reservations on the TVG Lausanne to Paris for mu family traveling on June 15. I used the Swiss Rail website: www.cff.ch/index_e.htm I first asked for a fare to be e-mailed to me then I booked it. They even reserved our seats. I tried to pay for the tickets in advance, but they e-mailed me with a reference number and to pick up/pay for the tickets in Switzerland. So, I will pay and pick up the tickets when we arrive in Switzerland. Hope this helps.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:06 PM
Susan

Barbara: That's so funny. That's the date we're traveling! I'll be with my husband and 2 sons, ages 11 and 13. Which time are you departing? I had looked at the SNCF website, but wasn't sure if I could pick up the tickets in Switzerland. That's good to know. Thanks! If you see us, we'll be the family looking confused about how to validate the tickets!

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:15 PM
Christina

I've seen both of those phone number versions listed (92-xxxxxx and 36-xxxxxx), so whatever works. IN fact, the 92-x set of numbers are the ones listed in the French online yellow pages for SNCF.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:44 PM
Barbara

Susan: My husband, my son (13) and I are on the 9:14A train. Arrives in Paris at 13:21. When I made the reservations, the type of seat we wanted (facing a table) was already booked. Last time we traveled during off season and had NO problems getting tickets and seats the day before. Say hi if you see us..both my son and I wear glasses. Have a wonderful time.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:49 PM
Susan

Barbara: It looks like we'll be following you. We're going to be on the next train leaving at 13:14. We just got an email back from the swiss rail folks quoting prices that are significantly less than Rail Europe. Have a great trip! Where are you staying in Paris? We'll be at the Relais Bosquet in the 7th arrondisement for 4 nights.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:17 PM
Bob Brown

I looked up the phone number on the English version of the SNCF web site.
It is: 0892 353 535
From the USA I presume one would dial
011 33 892 35 35 35

Because this came off of the English version, I presume the above number would bring an English speaker of some description to the telephone.

Has anybody used this number with success?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:20 PM
topper

up

Old May 3rd, 2002, 02:53 AM
topper

up