Buy Leonardo Express tickets in advance

Apr 21st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Buy Leonardo Express tickets in advance

Is there any benefit to buying the Leonardo Express tickets from the Rome Airport to downtown Rome in advance on TrenItalia.it (I mean other than having to use the website, which is an experience in itself!). It looks like you have to use a self service machine to get the tickets anyway, so I don't know if you save any time. Also, you need to specify a train, which is just about impossible (though I guess the ticket is good for any train?) Do these trains ever fill up entirely? Thanks. -John
Apr 21st, 2007, 03:45 PM

You just walk up and buy a ticket then validate it. No problem at all
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:25 AM
ira

Hi JG,

>Is there any benefit to buying the Leonardo Express tickets from the Rome Airport to downtown Rome in advance on TrenItalia.it<

No.

Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:51 AM

If you have at least 3 people it makes more sense to book a limo for 35E to take you to your hotel.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:04 AM

No benefit at all, since it would be nearly impossible to know which train you'd make, and they run so often. You just walk up to the window and buy a ticket for the next train. I did it several times last year and though the trains were sometimes crowded we always got seats.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM

kybourbon, if your trip on the train also requires a taxi from Termini to your hotel, then the break even point is probably 2 people, not even 3.
If there are two of you, and unless your hotel is right next to the Termini station, I'd suggest you line up www.romeshuttlelimousine.com to meet you at the airport and take you to your hotel for 35 euro total.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Actually there are 4 of us, and we realize the train (combined with Metro from Termini, in this case) will be more expensive, but we have some time pressures, and we are concerned that with the morning traffic in Rome it will be quicker with the train Also, have heard some stories from friends where their Limo was very late picking them up, as well, or had to wait forever for a taxi. So we figure the train will likely be quickest, or at least most predictable.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:11 AM

You can buy your ticket at the newsstand in Termini and validate at the machine on track 24 (that's where the train arrives and departs).
Make sure you validate because I have seen the conductor charge a penalty as well as the cost of the ticket for those that didn't.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:43 AM

I've never had a limo driver show up late in Rome and can't recall anyone else on this board mentioning it either. In fact, they've always been waiting with a sign with our name on it and it takes about 2-3 minutes for them to get our luggage loaded and on the road. I usually arrive on a weekend so perhaps on a weekday it's possible it could take longer than on M-F. I've used www.limoservicerome.com and if you do a search you will see they are highly recommended. They are a bit more expensive than Rome Shuttle.

The train could take just as long as a limo or longer. They only run every 30 minutes and the ride is 30 minutes. After you get your luggage you have to get to the station/platform, and wait for the next train. You will also have to wait for the metro and if you have never been to Rome, you will be surprised how crowded it will be. You might not be able to get on the first metro that arrives especially if you have luggage.

I think a limo would take less than an hour (maybe 30 minutes depending on driver/traffic) and the train/metro could take as much as 1 1/2 hours.

Where is your hotel and what day do you arrive? If your hotel is in Trastevere then you should take a different train, not the Leonardo Express.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM

I too can't imagine the train being faster than the car service unless you just happened to get to the station a minute or two before the next train (I always manage to see one pulling out and have to wait a half hour for the next one) and if your hotel is a block from termini. If you have to take a taxi to your hotel from Termini -- that will be the bulk of your slow traffic problem, so you aren't eliminating that.

Last summer we got our luggage very quickly in Rome and our driver was waiting for us. We arrived mid afternoon, but he got us to our apartment near the Pantheon is something like a half hour. In any case we had to wait for our apartment rep to show up as we arrived nearly an hour earlier than I thought we would. If we had taken the train and then a taxi, it would have been MUCH longer.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

I guess it may make more sense to take a cab. Our hotel is near Trevi, so we had planned to take the Metro two stops to Barberini from Tremini and then walk 5 minutes. Car service certainly sounds better unless we get hit with 1.5 hours of traffic. Thanks for all the advice!