Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Busy mom/dad - say Let's GO! Cinque Terre - Fall - Need some reality chk

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So - A friend just called me upon her return from 10 days in Italy with husband away from small kids and she said it was such heaven. I then thought about when we would be able to go, my hubby and me, in the next couple of years, assuming May or Sept/Oct or maybe June. it was looking like 2012 (other plans, weddings etc) and that felt like so long away. Factor in that this month two different couples have told us they are getting divorced (with small kids), that we just had our 15th anniversary but had too much going on to celebrate much, and that my sweet but older in-laws have been staying with us for one month, AND the fact that tickets to Milan are only $650. Between last night and this morning I've got the hubby on board that we should go to Italy THIS fall. Just waiting to hear back that Gramma (my mom) has some time to come watch the ruggers and I am almost ready to book some tickets.... but I usually plan way in advance and so I am asking for a reality check before I get into the nitty gritty.

Timing- October might be better for us logistically but I don't want it too cold or too abandoned - thoughts about timing? September better?

Reservations - You read about how you must have rooms ahead in Cinque terre - is this true for fall as well? Is it too late?

Tickets are a good price right at $650 round trip direct? I guess it doesn't matter as long as it feels right to me, but it certainly helps with the rationale of just 'going for it" when you think they are a good deal.

Tickets to Milan are the best price right now - if I were going to book now and plan later - is that the best place - I want to fly direct from ATL and I can get great price and timing into MIL or Rome - but I would have to have a layover for Pisa or Florence. I would have to play with bookings to see if in one city and out the other impacts tickets too much.

With all this in mind I'll then start some research further

Thanks folks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM

Be sure to get an open-jaw ticket-- in other words, fly into one city and home from another. It usually is not more expensive, and it saves you the time, trouble and expense of backtracking to the original city to depart.

Depending on how much time you have, of course. If you're going for just a few days, that's when you'd want to fly roundtrip, and concentrate on one city/area.

If Cinque Terre is your first destination, you could fly into Florence and home from Rome.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:56 AM

Cinque Terre is heaven on Heart..That is what we kept saying(my daughter and grandaughter)..We stayed for 8 days in a large apartment in Manarola..Going back again for few days this September.
Bring some comfortable walking shoes..
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

I think I would fly into Milan and out of Rome but really I am not sure if I would want to tamper with the peace and quiet of CT and add the urban roar of Rome. Florence requires a stopover somewhere.

We are thinking one week total including travel (out on Friday return on Friday)
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:23 AM

You should visit in September rather than October.

I can't figure out from your post how old your children are. If they are small, you may prefer to stay in Sestri Levante or Levanto or Monegila rather than in Cinque Terre, which is all steep and staircases. From the places I mentioned, Cinque Terre is easily gotten to by train if you want to hike or take boat rides.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

To be clear I am planning to go WITHOUT the kids!! Ages 2,5,8
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:02 AM

Okay, here's the scoop:

Yes, go now. Don't wait.

Yes, $650 is a good price for these tickets. Yes, you might find a slightly lower price, but don't go looking for it after you've booked.

Yes, Milan (MXP) is a good place to fly in and/or out of, particularly as you're flying from ATL (presumably via DL, a direct flight). Rome (FCO) also an option, of course. Open jaw tickets typically the same (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less) as non-open jaw.

If you do go for the urban roar of Rome, note that it will be more pleasant in cooler weather. Were I you I'd just do Cinque Terre and leave Rome for later.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:24 PM

Do you plan to drive, bus or train to CT?
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM

Good to have the clarification. I would still recommend going in Sept minimize the risk of disappointment of bad weather.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for thoughts. I guess thinking train from my quick research....

I need to look at timings to see if we could go in and out of Milan without staying in Milan. My friend here urged going though Florence and going with a change of planes but I always think that is asking for trouble and especially on a trip that is only 6 days not worht the risk of hasstle.

I have to say I got spooked a little by Air France news today. That is another topic but it is hard to think about getting on a plane leaving kids behind with that kind of story.

But tickets can be cancelled later if the jitters don't pass but good prices cannot always be found again
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:24 PM

Have you looked into flying into Pisa -- or Genova? It's a lot more convenient to Cinque Terre than Firenze.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM

Non-stop is always a goal for DH and me! It may be 6 of one and half-dozen of the other as they say. IMHO, I agree with your looking at the logistics of leaving from and returning to each airport.

Go for it! We took a British Air flight not too long after they had a terrorist problem-figured it would never be any safer than after something had just occurred.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Will I be able to find lodging in September - will I have to jump on it now or can I let it sit a bit?
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM

We LOVED the CT. We were there in late Sept. and the weather was perfect and there were no crowds.

We stayed in Corniglia at http://www.cinqueterre-laposada.com/...partments.html

Ask for Sole Y Luna Apt. the views were out of this world.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:08 AM

It can't hurt to line up things asap. Easier to cancel later than try to find something last minute.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM

<TDudette on Jun 3, 09 at 08:08 AM
It can't hurt to line up things asap. Easier to cancel later than try to find something last minute.>

True words of wisdom...