Reload this Page >

Buskers and beggars.

Search

Buskers and beggars.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 07:54 AM
catherine

Buskers and beggars.

I had a deep thought about human nature.One of the quite enjoyable aspects of travelling on the tube and the metro in London and Paris is the buskers entertaining the travellers especially the ones that play classical music some of the talent is quite outstanding. Yet we seldom give money to them.We don't give money to the sad people with cards saying how hungry and jobless they are. I always feel a bit guilty about this.We tend to give money to obvious down and outs who are not asking for anything.Do other people do this? Or would you rather give it to the buskers?

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 08:40 AM
John

I guess I'm a "buskers and beggar" person. I like the sidewalk entertainment and always give a little out of appreciation. As for the beggars, I was really taken back by what I saw in Rome. You see these inredibly old looking, crooked, woman bent over, leaning on a crutch in what appears to be in pain and holding their hand out. Some say it is a hoax, but I'm not sure. If it is a hoax, then they got me, but not really for much. And if it is real, then maybe the little I gave helped somewhat. Either way, I felt better so it was more than worth it.

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 10:38 AM
Maira

Call me a sucker but I can't never walk away from a good street entertainer without giving them some money...The best street entertainment I had ever seen was actually at Charles Bridge in Prague. Some were playing instruments so beautifully, you just wish there were chairs so you can sit and listen all day. Other memorable ones; Paris (by the Seine) and Munich (Mimes at Marienplatz). In the States; New Orleans (Bourbon Street; fascinating!) <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 1999, 12:53 PM
Daniel Lee

Hey guys: <BR><BR>My thought on charity has always been that the person needs to be either educated or provding a form of service. For example, the buskers are OK because they at least give entertainment and they don't just plain beg. Beggars I never give money to. One in downtown Chicago I took to the nearest Subway restaurant and got him a job application. I don't like to just give money in those instances because it does not solve th eproblem one bit--kinda like welfare. I have a lot of respect for the Peace Corps because they don't just give charity--they go in and teach people how to make their own lives better by themselves. <BR><BR> <BR><BR>Dan

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 12:40 AM
Vincent

If you travel on a daily basis on the Parisian metro, you are going to be faced at least 3 or 4 times a day with the usual : "Ladies and Gentlemen, good morning/afternoon. I don't want to bother you, but... bla bla bla unemployment, jail, x kids to raise, etc. " I don't want to seem heartless, but already 45 % of my income goes, in a way or another, to the State. And I know that there are State-funded schemes and organizations that do their best to take care of those situations. I am happy to live in a welfare-oriented State and am ready to pay the price for it, as far as taxes are concerned. Hence my refusal to go on giving on the street or the metro (I am not speaking about buskers, who try to make a living, but about beggars), since those beggars represent only a tiny proportion of the homeless population, and giving them money won't help (for your information, those people do make 300/400 F a day on the metro). To end with a brighter note, some buskers have been discovered in the metro and have made a "normal" show biz career ; and some homeless people are selling newspapers they publish themselves ("La Rue", "Le Réverbère" and others), and help them "reinsert" (French administrative jargon ! ) themselves. So, that, you can buy.

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 08:05 AM
catherine

Well I can't help feeling sorry for beggars.A lot of them are gripped in cycles of alcholism or mental illness.No state is perfect in providing for these sad people.At least buskers have a way to make money.How do you find work when you are drunk or mad or both.Like the admirable Vincent,I too will end on a lighter note.The best busker I ever saw was in New Orleans.My husband and I are a bit cheap, I am ashamed to admit,but this guy made $40 out of us in a week.Every day he sits in Jackson square.An African american with a deep, throaty voice that gives you goose bumps.There is just him with his voice and acoustic guitar. He sings american folk and gospel on sundays.We would buy a snack from that great French bakery.I think it's called the Madeliene and spend hours just listening.It is one of my best memorys of all time.I think Sony should give him a contract.

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 02:42 PM
Joanna

I don't mind giving to buskers as long as they don't shove their hat in your face in a restaurant (as once happened at Strasbourg) - it should be a voluntary donation. I'm very sceptical about beggars with signs, esp. as there was a big expose about those in Sydney who "just needed money for the train ride home to (some country town)". The Salvation Army said that they will give any genuine case the train fare home! Mostly these are drug addicts - not sure about beggars overseas. Also, I'm extremely wary about getting my purse out in public - I was once surrounded by four young male "beggars" and it was very intimidating. If I'd got my purse out I don't think it would have remained in my hands for long. The genuine cases therefore lose out.