Bus London to Oxford?

Search

Bus London to Oxford?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus London to Oxford?

Combing back here a few years, it looks as if the X90 bus London to Oxford would work fine. Is that still the case? The website mentioned finding the bus at Victoria Coach Station, or one of them. Is it reasonable to wait until the last minute and buy a ticket on the spot?
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 06:47 AM

You can catch the X90 at Station 10, Victoria Coach Station. They run about every 20 minutes and you pay in cash when you board. Be sure to ask for return, if needed. I believe it also stops at Marble Arch.

The Oxford Tube is another alternative also departing from Victoria Station but stopping at both Marble Arch and Notting Hill Gate.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 06:55 AM

Here's some links: www.oxfordtube.com and, for the X90, www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=261.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 07:37 AM

" Is it reasonable to wait until the last minute and buy a ticket on the spot?"

It's cheaper to buy a return, but return tickets are valid only with the company you journeyed out with.

With buses about every few mins, and running round the clock, this might be a bit academic, but they can get full in the morning eastbound, evening westbound and randomly through the day if there's anything special on (demonstrations against student fees especially). When that happens, I don't think prebooking helps if you're getting on at an intermediate stop. But there'll be another one along soon, and these routes are among the few in central London where breaking the rules of queueing still leads to serious unpleasantness from fellow-passengers.

You'll always (except for BIG demos on fees) get on the next one.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

historytraveler, Mimar, and flanner, thank you. Very helpful.

Flanner, please translate: "except for BIG demos on fees."
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Wait. Demos = demonstrations against student fees? Who objects to that, or do the students consider them still too high?

In a related vein, do my younger than 26 yr old daughters get reduced fares even though foreigners?

Also, if I have a ticket for a particular bus, does that guarantee me a seat? In US, the Greyhound Bus company has a fair-sounding but asinine "first come, first served" policy where if I want to get on at station B -- even with booked and paid internet ticket -- if the bus fills up at station A I'm out of luck.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Govt wants to raise fees - students don't like it!

The 'demos' can sometimes become full fledged riots.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...fees-live.html
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM

I've been traveling between London and Oxford via bus for years and have never bought a ticket in advance. As flanner said, if a bus is full, ( possbile but I've never seen it) there'll be another one usually within 10/15 minutes.

Seniors and students with ID get reduced fares. Check out the websites Mirmar suggested. They'll give you all the information you need.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:53 PM

"Also, if I have a ticket for a particular bus, does that guarantee me a seat?"

In theory yes. In practice, at the originating bus station: yes. But as I said, the only way this is enforcable at an intermediate stop is by throwing an existing sitting passenger off, which is close to impractical. On services between central London and Oxford, the culture is to wait for the next bus.

"do my younger than 26 yr old daughters get reduced fares even though foreigners?"

It's illegal in Britain to restrict ANY concession (and practically anything else, including being monarch, prime minister or Archbishop of Canterbury) to UK citizens*, and generally pointless to limit eligibility to EU citizens only (which would be legal, but then excludes practically no-one). However, the two companies have slightly different age concession rules. Oxford Tube gives tight specifications for student ID, which most foreigners not studying full time in England won't automatically have, while the X90 just needs under 26 age ID. Both offer over 60 rates to anyone over 60.

*For the curious: just about the only exceptions are jury duty, liability to conscription and eligibilty to join the Secret Service.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, flanner.

Though American, we wouldn't dream of shouldering anyone aside in a queue.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM

"Though American, we wouldn't dream of shouldering anyone aside in a queue."

My experience is that Americans tend to be more British than the British when it comes to queues. Downright (and infuriatingly) Victorian at ski resorts.

Not so Londoners, though. At most central London bus stops, queues are almost a thing of the past (some of the stops for Oxford-bound buses, and a few other 20-80 mile commuter destinations, are the exceptions in still having them). There IS a complicated boarding order, based roughly on arrival times overlaid with mobility, which most Londoners kind of observe. But it can't always be relied on.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sooner the place is towed out into the thames and sunk the better then.